HAROLD PINTER, NOBEL PRIZE LECTURE. (IRAK/US)

gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
http://nobelprize.org/literature/laureates/2005/pinter-lecture.htmlhttp://www.haroldpinter.org/home/index.shtmlJust wondered if this was shown in the U.S, if not you should have a look. Was pretty moving & intense seeing Harold looking frail after suffering throat cancer but passionate & eloquent as ever. It starts with him talking about his plays & the creative development of characters & then moves on to a scathing report on U.S policy since WW2, War, death & obviously Irak. It's a long & not always linear lecture switching between prose & politics however you will be rewarded for making the time to watch (or read) it through to the end. Do you agree with his comments?gib

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    When I was a kid I used to act in plays. One that we did was "One For The Road" and I got shot at the end. It was serious.

• We studied Pinters's "the caretaker" at school it always stuck with me because we had to write a pretend missing chapter in his style, which was cool.
    I don't see too many young English, politicised, earnest & competent writers/artists coming up to fill Harold & the likes shoes once they gone....

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    http://nobelprize.org/literature/laureates/2005/pinter-lecture.html

http://www.haroldpinter.org/home/index.shtml

Just wondered if this was shown in the U.S, if not you should have a look. Was pretty moving & intense seeing Harold looking frail after suffering throat cancer but passionate & eloquent as ever. It starts with him talking about his plays & the creative development of characters & then moves on to a scathing report on U.S policy since WW2, War, death & obviously Irak. It's a long & not always linear lecture switching between prose & politics however you will be rewarded for making the time to watch (or read) it through to the end.

Do you agree with his comments?

gib

Classic Pinter diatribe and mostly on the nail. But I couldn't help feeling that the wheelchair and blanket were props to some extent, although I'm not entirely sure what the intended effect was. Thought provoking as always.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Thanks for the link. I have a feeling I will enjoy this even though I don't like Pinter's work. I've seen 3 or 4 plays, read a couple and I think they are all complete garbage.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Classic Pinter diatribe and mostly on the nail. But I couldn't help feeling that the wheelchair and blanket were props to some extent, although I'm not entirely sure what the intended effect was. Thought provoking as always.

He's been battling cancer as of late and is pretty frail from all accounts...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Didn't he have a pretty nasty fall last month as well? Don't think that's helped his condition.

• Thanks for the link. I have a feeling I will enjoy this even though I don't like Pinter's work. I've seen 3 or 4 plays, read a couple and I think they are all complete garbage.

You don't have to like his plays at all to appreciate this or to be impressed by his words. I hope I am that lucid at his age.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Didn't he have a pretty nasty fall last month as well? Don't think that's helped his condition.

Yes, he's in a pretty bad way. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I was watching thinking the studio must be pretty warm and wouldn't an armchair be as comfortable...but I enjoyed hearing what he had to say.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Thanks for the link. I have a feeling I will enjoy this even though I don't like Pinter's work. I've seen 3 or 4 plays, read a couple and I think they are all complete garbage.

You don't have to like his plays at all to appreciate this or to be impressed by his words. I hope I am that lucid at his age.

The best description I've heard about Pinter's philosophy about the human condition is that Pinter subscribes to the notion that human communication is 9/10 evasion and silence - pretty telling and more often than not holds true...