Comparisons in Another Genre

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Would it be fair to say that:is comparable to:?What other records have equivalents in another genre?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    interesting topic, but I don't think I understand

'splain

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Well I'm listening to Van Morisson and looking at "Winter In America", thinking that in essence, "Astral Weeks" might be rock's "Winter In America" and vice-versa. This particular comparison may be some sort of anomaly, but maybe it isn't..? What do ya'll thank?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'd say it's more like.....

is comparable to:

And

is =

Interesting! I compared the original two because of the sound and feeling you get listening to those records. It's solitary experience that's rather unique. What's your thinking on the Hathaway comparison?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    For me Hathaway and Van are laying their deepest feelings, via their vocals, on a table for the world to hear..raw as can be...both LP's are from so deep inside of each of these complex artists hearts/minds/souls that they makes alot of other artists sound superficial.

The Gil-Scott and MC5, for me, both represent a street level political message being conveyed via the fringe of two popular genres....they both convey a bad-ass aura as opposed to the usual, more passive, politically involved artists.

Just one man's opinion.

For me Hathaway and Van are laying their deepest feelings, via their vocals, on a table for the world to hear..raw as can be...both LP's are from so deep inside of each of these complex artists hearts/minds/souls that they makes alot of other artists sound superficial.

The Gil-Scott and MC5, for me, both represent a street level political message being conveyed via the fringe of two popular genres....they both convey a bad-ass aura as opposed to the usual, more passive, politically involved artists.

Just one man's opinion.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i was going to compare the curtis 'back to the world' album to the clash's first record.
    my reasoning for the curtis album and the ted leo album (a punk/indie rock musician) comparison is--
    one---
    both albums were written as a political action to hopefully inspire political action. themes of freedom, peace, unity on both records.
    two: ted leo is a songwriter who definitely took a cue in the vocal department and even in the songwriting department from curtis mayfield.
    if you ever see him set up --he usually has a mix of reggae, dub and soul over the pa when he and his band sets up at shows. curtis is ALWAYS on that mix.
    --he has covered 'amen' and 'keep on pushin' live.

• This looks fun. I've always thought these were basically the same album:

Don't know if I can verbalize it, but there's just an overall creepy feeling to both of them. Maybe it's the Detroit connection. I've always wondered how aware they were of one another's work. There's a point on each album where Clinton and Pop both say "Looord," in that unholy Saturday night way that just sends shivers up my spine.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Hmmmm... Tough question. I could write something intelligent but no oe would care ...

Hmmmm... Tough question. I could write something intelligent but no oe would care ...

WTF did I make this thread for then? Let's hear it.