...so i'm watching the cosby show... (RR)

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
and it was that one episode where cliff wants to go to a record auction to bid on a charlie parker acetate. which got me thinking, were there actually record auctions at one point, where you bid on an lp in person like you would a painting or something? and has anywhere here every attended one at any time? i'm real curious about this, please drop some info...

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    and it was that one episode where cliff wants to go to a record auction to bid on a charlie parker acetate. which got me thinking, were there actually record auctions at one point, where you bid on an lp in person like you would a painting or something? and has anywhere here every attended one at any time? i'm real curious about this, please drop some info...

In that, episode, if you'll recall, Mr. Huxtable went to the auction only because PayPal had his account frozen.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The big auction houses obviously run music memorabilia auctions where oddities like acetates and (sometimes) uber-raers records go under the hammer alongside lyric sheets, instruments, stage costumes and and all the rest. Never heard of a real world auction just for records though.

• to bid on a charlie parker acetate

• The big auction houses obviously run music memorabilia auctions where oddities like acetates and (sometimes) uber-raers records go under the hammer alongside lyric sheets, instruments, stage costumes and and all the rest. Never heard of a real world auction just for records though.
    dude, i can only imagine a physical record auction. some short older dude with a british accent talking about "this next item is in near mint condition...", with a bunch of fidgety record nerds nervously clutching those plastic things with their number written on it, acting a fool. i'd fucking love to go to that shit.

• and it was that one episode where cliff wants to go to a record auction to bid on a charlie parker acetate.

I remember that episode. One of my favorites. Wasn't that acetate Parker's reading of "A Night in Tunisia?"

• and it was that one episode where cliff wants to go to a record auction to bid on a charlie parker acetate.

I remember that episode. One of my favorites. Wasn't that acetate Parker's reading of "A Night in Tunisia?"
    yeah, that's the one. i remember watching an episode when i was young where cliff was conversating with someone who was testing his knowledge in jazz records, and after every record, cliff was like "got it!" on some biz mark shit. i hope i catch the re-run of that one just to hear what records they were talking about

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Saw a Simpsons episode last night where they were watching the Cosby show and the special guest star was Bleeding Gums Murphy.

Cliff: Kids, this is your Grandpa
    Kid: But we've already got three grandpas
    Cliff; But this one's a jazz musician
    Kid: They're ALL jazz musicians..

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Did they really say acetate in the show? Kool...
    I watched it a lot when I was younger. Great show, but then I guess
    you all know that.

• Ever see the one where Cliff spends the whole episode looking for a place in the house to take a nap? And he can't because all the rooms are occupied with somebody making noise? He can't go in the kitchen because Vanessa and her friend are doing homework and listening to the radio...which is playing "Cosmic Slop" by Funkadelic?

• ....or the episode where, for some reason, the Huxtables are putting on some kind of talent show or something and they all mock perform "I Got the Feeling" with Cos on bass and Rudy stepping out on the "baby baby baby" parts?

all that AND those sweaters?!?

• ...and dammit, another thing: does anybody remember how with each new season of the show it'd be a big deal to see what the new opening of the show would be and the new arrangement of the theme song and all that? when I watch sitcoms today (what few left there are) there's hardly any theme song, openings, nothin...crap production values, man. Thursday nights used to KILL IT...Cosby into Different World? are you kidding? good stuff.

I'm old.

• all that AND those sweaters?!?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Sweater Huxtable style is pronounced "kuji."

My sister used to work at Christies. They auction records. They would auction things that are raer like a Charlie Parker acetate, even today. I was trying to get the "overflow" calls. Still trying to work that out.
    T.N.

• Thursday nights used to KILL IT...Cosby into Different World? are you kidding? good stuff.

I hung with The Cosby Show for the first three seasons, then lost interest when Different World premiered (mainly 'cause Cosby's schtick was growing musty by then, IMO). Now THAT was my program, Different World. I still catch the reruns every now and then when I remember to.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    they had a record auction like that here in Chicago a few months back.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Remember that epoisde where Theo & Cockroach get busted for smoking pot? If you look real close, there is a copy of Black Merda on Theo's turntable.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I just saw an epesode yesterday with Stevie Wonder. He had a drum track going and he was doing some sampler type shit. Oh and there is another episode where Cosby is talking to a friend about Jazz records and they go down to the basement where the records are and they start to play some of those records.

• There's also an episode where jazz bagpipe player Rufus Harley makes a brief appearance!

If they ever make a Hollywood biopic about Sun Ra, Cos is the only person I would consider for the lead role.

• Sweater Huxtable style is pronounced "kuji."

"every cutie with a booty wanna coogi"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    this post is just DRIPPING with nerdiness.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Saw a Simpsons episode last night where they were watching the Cosby show and the special guest star was Bleeding Gums Murphy.

"See, the kids listen to the RAP MUSIC, which gives them the BRAIN DAMAGE, so they don't know about JAZZ and the bebopskibbidebebopboobopalubiddleybee!"

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

We all know what raers the Simpsons collect:

This thread is dripping rocking[/b] with nerdiness

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

How on earth did you find that picture?

• Saw a Simpsons episode last night where they were watching the Cosby show and the special guest star was Bleeding Gums Murphy.

Is this for real? Was sayer really on the simpsons? What episode?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Yes, it definitely was. Can't remember what episode, though.

• ScottScott 420 Posts

Yes, it definitely was. Can't remember what episode, though.

It was in this one, where Bart turns up the thermostat and melts Homer's records (accidentally).

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Homer: "We don't have anything in common. Look at these records: Jim Nabors, Glen Campbell, the Doodletown Pipers. Now look at her records! They stink!"

• Homer: "We don't have anything in common. Look at these records: Jim Nabors, Glen Campbell, the Doodletown Pipers. Now look at her records! They stink!"
    haha! i remember that...