converting real audio to mp3

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Is there a way to convert real audio streams/files to .mp3 format? It used to be possible with Streamripper but they discontinued the product, and stopped updates. Any help would be much appreciated. I was looking forward to mp3'ing streams of This American Life (brilliant talk radio show if you haven't heard of it)http://www.thisamericanlife.com

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    there are ways. If you're mac/linux you can use mplayer to convert with a little bit of pain. Funny you should mention TAL, I did the exact project you're proposing. 13 gigs later I've got a full ipod. PM a brother, I might be able to hook you up.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    audio hijack. u can use this same program to convert records, dvds, music on the internet, etc...

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Is there a way to convert real audio streams/files to .mp3 format? It used to be possible with Streamripper but they discontinued the product, and stopped updates. Any help would be much appreciated. I was looking forward to mp3'ing streams of This American Life (brilliant talk radio show if you haven't heard of it)

http://www.thisamericanlife.com

Well that's weird, I've been doing just that all day, TAL and Mel and Floyd. Here's how I do it.

Open This Amer.... in realplayer
    Open Soundforge
    Set Soundforge to record for 1 hr.
    Start realplayer and soundforge at same time.
    Walk away, son. Wait 1 hour
    Convert .wav file to .mp3 using any# of shit.
    Put on ipod.
    Smile.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I use Hi-download to rip Realplayer streams to mp3.

- spidey

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Once you have a real audio file saved, you should be able to open it in Wavepad then save it in whatever format you want.

I just have the free version and it works well for this and other switching applications. You may be losing some quality with some conversions but with a real audio file of a talking radio show this should not be a concern.

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html

• I tried using wavepad (the registered version) and it keeps stalling on converting the ram file. I even tried a .ra file but it still stalled. Is there a trick to the process?

I got a copy of hi-download which seems like the easiest method of all. The conversion was painless. Now the only issue is that I need a working version of the Audio Converter component. Otherwise, great tip. Thanks, it will definitely come in handy.

dollar_bin i might have to take you up on that offer! hit me up, i have a massive amount of vinyl-to-mp3 albums in trade. It's nice to see that so many people are listening to TAL.

-l

Once you have a real audio file saved, you should be able to open it in Wavepad then save it in whatever format you want.

I just have the free version and it works well for this and other switching applications. You may be losing some quality with some conversions but with a real audio file of a talking radio show this should not be a concern.

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Did anyone try Hato's one above and does it work?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It's nice to see that so many people are listening to TAL.

I exhausted all their archives listening to the streams at my old office

No streaming audio allowed here, so I've not even heard all the new ones since...

• Does anyone have any TAL shows as a MP3 file. I need one for a project.

• I've settled on the Hi-Download/Audio Converter configuation that spidey recommended, and it works like a charm.

Copy TAL .ram link to Hi-Download
    Open AudioConverter and convert ra file to MP3

I think the advantage to using this method vs. the others is how quick the conversion goes. Wave Pad also eventually worked but it took forever to open and convert.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions

-L