Rubulad

2»

Comments

• I was there. Saw lots of record dudes, don't know about strutters per se.

• whatup smallchange?? you hear about steve?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

Trying to understand going out in NYC - What's the difference between this and something like APT or The Rub ?

• whatup smallchange?? you hear about steve?

triple double. The man. I need AEIOU no. 2. And No. 1 again, I lost that tape, tho I thought that part you guys did, mixing in stinky stevie talking about orgys over the minnie rippington, was possibly the greatest single mix of all time. I'm not fucking kidding.

Last thing I heard about stinky steve is the FBI is after him because he has accumuliated THAT MANY parking tickets.

But people are probably lost so I'm going to start a new thread on this.

$??

• check your pms man

and that party sounds crazy. someone let a brother know when its going down and i will ge tmy stationary ass up to nueva york

• Trying to understand going out in NYC - What's the difference between this and something like APT or The Rub ?

Well, I have still haven't been to the Rub, but sorta have a vibe from their bootleg series. I feel they are the east coast version of Haul and Mason, doing a lot of live mixing, all of them tried and true party DJs, they've all been in the game for a minute, and definitely get my respect. But they're playing to a weekend audience, and I don't really view this party as hardcore raerities thang, but its definitely more quality then your usual commercial night in NYC. Yes/no?

I've spent many nights at APT, behind the decks and behind the bar (yes, I sling drinks with the best of 'em, and I'm down with Lagavulin neat.) I've seen all kinds of nights there. APT has definitely had some sick sessions. Definitely one of the few spots in NYC trying to keep it surreal. Great sound. Very small semi-nonexistent dancefloor. Somewhat expensive drinks and semi-discerning at the door. I still techinically work there from time to time so I'm a lil' biased. But make no amends, it is a club, for better or for worse.

Rubulad is much more aiken to loft party. Lo-budget decor but it works. They were at their original space for 6-7 years, got booted, bounced around for a few years doing different one offs at spaces, and have been at their current local for about a year and change. Drinks are CHEAP. There is no door policy. The vibe (to me) is a lot looser then going to a club. There is a lot of folks that follow these off the radar parties around NYC and have sorta given up on the club scene. And yeah, you get your knuckleheads here and there but people I find are really open, they just want to dance to something dope, and, most importantly, they don't need to know what's playing in order to dance. There is no pressure to play the hits. When I spin there I might throw folks a sorta recognizable-ish jam here and there (Pointer Sister's 'Automatic', etc) but for the most party I'm playing what I want, and most folks do the same.

Dante was killing it, I caught Pearl Dowell's 'Good Things' (can't fuck with Saadia), Sharon Jones' 'Genuine', that 'Nickel Bag' track, this other joint on De-Luxe that sounds like Eddie Floyd's 'Big Bird', that other jam that sounds like a 'Freddie's Dead' rip off, and a bunch of other shizz. Cherrystones was playing a bunch of ill psych, didn't know much of it, and Andy Votel played a bunch of psyche, less funky more rocking. Which is fine by me, breakbeat not necessarily needed for a good jam. I was tag teaming with my friend robbie and we were all over the map. I recently scored the 'On Any Sunday' OST so at one point was dropping some fuzz with the Hell's Belle's 'Hogin' Machine' (still need an OG of this) among other tings.

All in all an excellent night, in my humble ass muthafuckin' opinion.

$??

• i've dj'd there before. it's usually held at this spot in clinton hill/bed-stuy brooklyn now...used to be in billyburg back in the day. i got booked to play there by smallchange so if you know him and i think you might, talk to him.

it's fun. a bit hectic though, i think i'm getting old. huge crowded parties with multiple rooms isn't my idea of the best time anymore.

Suit yourself, old man!

nice one jim! i didn't mean any disrespect...just confirming that yes, things get hectic there! and the last time i went was in the dead heat of summer and it was just unbearable...i had to try to get out to get fresh air and had to deal with crazy people traffic on a fire escape! it's crazy. but that's because it's such a dope party.

and i would never turn down a chance to dj there again...that blizzard rubulad was bonkers. or bananas.