Rubulad

DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Will some NY dude tell me the score on this party?

Comments

• Large monthly underground party in Brooklyn with lots of drugs, djs and bands. It was gone for a couple years but has recently come back, I haven't been to the new incarnation.

Iron Monkey and I DJed at one of the last ones in 2002 and it was the best crowd either of us had played for ever. They danced to anything and everything, we just played whatever we wanted, no joke. Adrian's records inspired crowd surfing and spontaneous lesbianism.

Why, is there a possibility you might spin at one of these???

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Who do I need to talk to in order to get booked here?

• Who do I need to talk to in order to get booked here?

You'll have to ask Adrian, he hooked up the gig.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Large monthly underground party in Brooklyn with lots of drugs, art[/b], djs and bands. It was gone for a couple years but has recently come back, I haven't been to the new incarnation.

Iron Monkey and I DJed at one of the last ones in 2002 and it was the best crowd either of us had played for ever. They danced to anything and everything, we just played whatever we wanted, no joke. Adrian's records inspired crowd surfing and spontaneous lesbianism.

One live room, 3 DJ rooms. Slightly home made feel but that is lacking big time in NY these days. I DJ'd there a few months ago and yeah, it's fun as hell. Mad brownies and drinks.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    spontaneous lesbianism.

This is such a great band name.

• I'm playing records at this on December 10.
    Apparently at 338 Flushing (at Classon) in Brooklyn.

My boy called it "Burning Man East - Hipster version."
    Sounds like a Makers and joints night.
    Cosmo, come down and get cooked!

• Is there a list for this, or is it open to the public?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Is there a list for this, or is it open to the public?

spontaneous lesbianism.

spontaneous lesbianism.

"sabadabadabada"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm playing records at this on December 10.

Dante I'll give you a shout that day. I have something to do on the 10th but I think I can slide through and whatnot. Plus don't these parties go dumb late as well?

Dante I'll give you a shout that day. I have something to do on the 10th but I think I can slide through and whatnot. Plus don't these parties go dumb late as well?

yes, I left at 8am and the end was no where in sight.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Is there a list for this, or is it open to the public?

they kinda do it by e-mail lists, they don't like to put it on public bulletin boards n stuff, as to not get the attention of the cops...

anyone needs the info PM me...

i've spun it a few times and yes, it is one of the best DJ experiences you can have in nyc... you can be basically throw on all the records you don't wanna take a chance on in the club and watch people go off to them... yes, some shit can jump off on the sex n drugs tip, (i.e. people tip the dj...) sometimes they can be too crowded to be fun, as a spectator, but the music is almost always exellent...

as for hipster burning man, eh, i wouldn't be that negative, i mean the people who run it are that type, but the crowds are real diverse...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is there anyone chanting, "kill whitey" at this gig?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

no but funnily enuff i was talking to my girl the other night and she mentioned that she went to Kill Whitey once... i asked why and she said her dyke girlfriend (no homo) took her and that the crowd has very gay and lesbian heavy, with a lot of black gay boys.

that is all.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

no but funnily enuff i was talking to my girl the other night and she mentioned that she went to Kill Whitey once... i asked why and she said her dyke girlfriend (no homo) took her and that the crowd has very gay and lesbian heavy, with a lot of black gay boys.

that is all.

It was predominantly a black lesbian party.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

that is all.

It was predominantly a black lesbian rapper[/b] party.

• Sure shot party rock! Like my boy S***e stated earlier, it was definitely one of the best DJ gigs I've had. Dudes smoked me up on sensi, girlies gave me the digits, everyone danced like crazed mental patients till the sun came up. There was crowd surfing when I dropped "Humpty Dance" and girls were steady grindin/makin out/pulling on each other's clothes when I dropped "Sagitarius Black". Too bad their boyfriends stepped in to pull em apart as it was beginning to get "interesting". Dante, this one's a no-brainer. You should have a great time at this spot. Go bless them folks properly....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Sure shot party rock! Like my boy S***e stated earlier, it was definitely one of the best DJ gigs I've had. Dudes smoked me up on sensi, girlies gave me the digits, everyone danced like crazed mental patients till the sun came up. There was crowd surfing when I dropped "Humpty Dance" and girls were steady grindin/makin out/pulling on each other's clothes when I dropped "Sagitarius Black". Too bad their boyfriends stepped in to pull em apart as it was beginning to get "interesting". Dante, this one's a no-brainer. You should have a great time at this spot. Go bless them folks properly....

SOMEONE PLEASE CAPTURE THIS MADNESS ON CAMERA THIS YEAR? SOUNDS AMAZING.

THEN, POST UP, PLAESE.

HI ADR*AN, I'M STILL LOOKING FOR A CHEAPO MINTY COPY OF ENGLISH ROSE, LOL.

• damn,
    if i wasn't apartment hunting this month id seriously consider flying out to catch that.

lord/anyone who lives here knows i'll have to fly somewhere to see a good funk spin now that i'm in LA.

--

i was rolling joints on one of the downstairs bars last (and first) time at the rubulad. small change birthday bash. and yes, a female i was with impromptu made out with another chick. when i left it was the middle of the next day. i can still feel and echo of the hangover from that party.

• i've dj'd there before. it's usually held at this spot in clinton hill/bed-stuy brooklyn now...used to be in billyburg back in the day. i got booked to play there by smallchange so if you know him and i think you might, talk to him.

it's fun. a bit hectic though, i think i'm getting old. huge crowded parties with multiple rooms isn't my idea of the best time anymore.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    spontaneous lesbianism.

CJ Records + -2.5 = Make Out[/b]

Real squeals. I know you. Deal?

• Yeah...those parties are usually cool as hell. Hey , are you gonna drop any express rising on us fools or what?

damn, makes me wanna drive out to new york this weekend to see this.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

damn, makes me wanna drive out to new york this weekend to see this.

visions of dancing in your head?

subscribe to this mailing list to keep up on all things Rubulad:

http://nonsensenyc.com/

they don't advertise the parties, it's very word-of-mouth, and since the mouths I know that know I don't talk to that often, this list keeps me in the loop.

• saw steinski "perform" last time i went... it was fucking dope.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    [There was crowd surfing when I dropped "Humpty Dance" and girls were steady grindin/makin out/pulling on each other's clothes when I dropped Sagitarius Black.]

zoinks...that sounds like a little smidgen of heaven is a place on earth type insinuation.

• i've dj'd there before. it's usually held at this spot in clinton hill/bed-stuy brooklyn now...used to be in billyburg back in the day. i got booked to play there by smallchange so if you know him and i think you might, talk to him.

it's fun. a bit hectic though, i think i'm getting old. huge crowded parties with multiple rooms isn't my idea of the best time anymore.

Suit yourself, old man!

Actually Rubulad does get a bit bottlenecked, we're trying to figure out a solution for that, maybe move the bar downstairs to another location.

Anyways I've been involved with Rubulad for 8-9 years, definitely my favorite place to play and/or throw a party in the city. 4 rooms, 6000 sq. feet and the party goes as late as you'd like it to go, Ieft the last one around 9am. They are a bit under the radar so don't like to list in traditional outlets like Time Out, etc. Sometimes the equipment isn't optimal (the old rubulad space had gemini turntables, ug--slightly better now) but I've had some of my best DJ experiences there, playing favorites like Bob Azzam's 'Batucada Por Favor', Eazy E's 1st rekkid, ragga jungle off the Labello Blanco label, Grauzone and other 80's electro/post punk, Terry Ganzie and classic dancehall, Extra T's 'Cornflakes', and rocking doubles of Sugarman Three's 'Funky So and So'. And on and on. Maybe ending with a classic like Deniece William's 'Free'. The crowd, as people say are down for anything.

As for the burningman east comparison, I know some may scoff, but burning man ain't as bad as the pictures make it out to be. Especially if you've been to Plug 4, which is the camp run by Charles Raggio, who runs Kajmere distribution. Superfunky. Anyways there's some of that crowd, NYC hipsters, homeboys, rock n' rollers, record nerds, and of course, lesbians.

Considering how restrictive the NYC party scene is these daze (and if you think the caberet law bullshit is over, the NYPPD just did another round of busts), rubulad is a beautiful alternative. It was a lifesaver to spin there during the Ghouliani era. God forbid that fascist becoming prez. Not that it could get much worse.

Most of the parties I've booked there I've kept the talent local so as not to stress their budget, but big ups to Mahssa from Other Music and my friend Robbie aka Gerald McBoing for putting together this killer line up on Saturday. Andy Votel, Cherrystones, Dante, etc, etc.

I book a party there every other month, have a bunch of people I still want to get in there, but you're interested hit me up.

Jim aka $mall ??hange
    stylee (at) wfmu (dot) com

• stylee (at) wfmu (dot) com

actually, its

stylee (at) wfmu (dot) org.

back to the crack pipe.

$??

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    Any one go to this last night?