selling records on Ebay during December..

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
hot or not?I am about to unload a good bit of stuff over the next few months and would like to go ahead and start now(dec). How is it right now? slow as expected?

Comments

• I've been buying a lot for cheap. I've got a few bits to get rid of, but I'm going to hang off selling til January. Big $ stuff or large quantities don't seem to be affected too much. Mid range stuff seems to be. The real dead time is the 23rd to after the new year.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    so you think hold off til a week or two into january a solid jazz list?

was debating maybe trying to get something up a week before x-mas.

• I would wait. All I've been selling is store inventory, my actions have been slow. Not only that but ebay also puts an estimated shipping time on the listing, including media mail (3-9 days). More like 9-30. Now add holiday shipping slowdowns and we have a perfect recipe for holiday grief. I guess they want to make sure there is plenty of red mixed in with the green to keep things festive.

Someone mentioned waiting till people had holiday money in their pocket. Seems like a safer bet.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'd say list this week or wait til Jan.

auctions ending the week of chirstmas =

• Options
    I find no lick of difference - I know my junky ass is still checking for gear. In fact, I remember getting great prices around Christmas than say the September start-up time. But I sell to niche markets, so yoou ma ynot want to listen to me.

K in Canada.

• I definitely don't do any mailorder buying during December because I've had several packages lost in the past, I'm assuming others do the same. Add on to that what a pain it is waiting in line at the PO this time of year and I'm definitely waiting until Jan.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I cop much less off ebay in DEC. because I'm too busy and poor buying for others Also, I don't really ask for random rare records because no one getting me stuff wants to bother with the ebay hassle. I'd say wait.

• I am sure it's slower..but I need some christmas cash w/ the quickness. I wish I could wait but fuck it..ill go ahead and put some classic hip hop, electro and new wave up

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    I am sure it's slower..but I need some christmas cash w/ the quickness. I wish I could wait but fuck it..ill go ahead and put some classic hip hop, electro and new wave up

Set sale that ish.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have a pile of records to sell but have suffered from eBay burn out. Prolly gonna set sale it as well... 0 risk.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I find no lick of difference

Actually I think its even better, right up through Xmas. Of course I mostly deal in rock records that are used as gifts I think....

• Wow, I've had a great morning. I've sold a bunch of fixed price items and one of my auctions has a bid, but if it doesn't go up I won't make my quota on that sale. it's all good though. It balances out on other items that far exceed my quota.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I've a few things that I'm gonna wait to throw on the 'bay next month, or even just get a table at the next Philly Record Revival, if there is one in February......

• prolly late march on the record revival. thats a guess though.

i think the best point was avoiding holiday lines at the post office. sounds terrible.

i got a batch ready to go to the bay once i get my website back on track.

• I have a pile of records to sell but have suffered from eBay burn out. Prolly gonna set sale it as well... 0 risk.

yeah, I have never tried to set sale shit on here but I should. The only thing that kind of bothers me is what to price shit at. I dont wanna price shit too high but of course dont want to give the shit away. But maybe ill give it test run on here this week.

• I kinda have a few set prices that I go with. Records will fall into categories based on condition, market trend , mark up from what I payed, and/or how I value it personally. Then I round up or down to my set prices. I use my experience as a shopper and a buyer in a record store to guide me as well. Sometimes I'll even humbly because I'm a lil guy.

One thing for sure is I'd rather be high end, not some budget stop. I won't just give em away. I mark them shits UP but you know what? They are selling.

• The best prices of the year on auction are in December and January. I have no idea where you guys are getting this from. My auction results over the past 6 years are highest by average in December and January and slowest in July and August. Bonuses, holiday consumerism and the Golden Week in Japan all contribute to this fact. I acutally save the better items for this time of year. We have 2500 plus items slated for the next 8 weeks. We count on this time of year for our strongest sales.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I acutally save the better items for this time of year.

Well, I sure hope you have "better items" than that shit you just had up. pshhhhh... damn sam, larry t, etc - WEAK!

• ensemble al sallam, east new york ensemble, pepe moreno, bobby punetteo, penny goodwin, weldon irvine...

• oh but the december post office is slow and is not a good look. dave and cameron will testify to this.

ap

ensemble al sallam, east new york ensemble, pepe moreno, bobby punetteo, penny goodwin, weldon irvine...

kid's stuff.

oh but the december post office is slow and is not a good look. dave and cameron will testify to this.

ap

PO in DEC is fucked. some lady this morning brings in fucking two large bags of xmas gifts - no boxes, no fucking nothing - just gift-wraped boxes. bitch brings them up to the counter like "what do I do with them?" This woman must be 35 years old & does not know how to mail a fucking package in the mail. Sad thing is I've seen this like infinity times.

• Anthony, i'd love to know what you make a year slanging black plastic saucers. But i'd never ask.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Do they have the 24 hour Post office in LA? THey do here, and it fuckin rules.

I'd be far more interested in knowing how AP decides what is a "keeper" & what isn't.

Do they have the 24 hour Post office in LA? THey do here, and it fuckin rules.

no. they do not to my knowledge exist in CA. b****shelf just mentioned these 24 hour PO's to me.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    still, you can go at like 3 AM and there will still be a long line sometimes.

still, you can go at like 3 AM and there will still be a long line sometimes.

fuck

• for some reason people think we make some insane amount of money over here. it is not that big of a deal. i have a friend who works for edison and a friend who is a painter and the three of us make the same amount of dough. its a business with all kinds of expenses and costs. i pay a lot of money for records. we do well but not that well. its not like i am some kind of multimillionare. were talking about used phonographic records here. i am sure if i owned a small chain of dry cleaners i would be making more money that doing this. i just like it and am good at it thats all.

• oh but the december post office is slow and is not a good look. dave and cameron will testify to this.

ap

PO in DEC is fucked. some lady this morning brings in fucking two large bags of xmas gifts - no boxes, no fucking nothing - just gift-wraped boxes. bitch brings them up to the counter like "what do I do with them?" This woman must be 35 years old & does not know how to mail a fucking package in the mail. Sad thing is I've seen this like infinity times.

I see that every day, I shit you not. The W. Hollywood PO employees all love me because I'm prepared and alert, which shouldn't be an impressive thing but damn, everyday the same shit. sorry to get involved in grown folks business. Late.