i hate this guy but this is incredible NRR

Comments

• maradona was one of the very best players IMO. top twenty, but he was kinda like a solo star. there were better team players. but that's just my opinion

that's true, the man was a team by himself, and that's what makes him
    a washed up drug addict[/b] til the end of time

• I agree with you on English football not being very good. Most teams play a dull and boring style of the game, because first and foremost they are afraid of losing. They try and negate the oppostion to stifle them instead of playing to their strengths. If this happened we would see a much better, more open and attacking game that would almost/possibly be worth the outrageous ticket prices. The beautiful game is rarely beautiful in this country anymore.

Spain is where it's at. That league is the best and most entertaining in the world.

i think you got the english league mixed up with the italian league,either that or you watch one game a year(middlesborough v blackburn?).

the spanish league isn`t as good as it used to be - there isn`t the competition there like there was a few years back.you`d have at least 4 teams capable of taking the title and in europe they were on fire.teams like valencia,mallorca,celta vigo,deportivo and zaragoza were all challenging barca and real.so lets be honest..the spanish league is probably like the premiership is now - only two maybe three teams in it.

one player you left out from your list of greats was marco van basten..

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    1)

2) English soccer is not that good - It should be called foreign legionaire league - there has never been well played soccer in England - their current height comes from abroad...

you're out of touch. brazil is so corrupt and they treat their players like shit. why doesn't the best player in the world, play in his home country? it's not just for money reasons. these south american players trip and fall over a blade of grass all the time, aka dive. it's not fun to watch, IMO.

the english game is fast paced and just a different style. yeah it may be made up of international stars, but what sport league isn't?

there has never been well played soccer in England[/b]

that is a ridiculous statement, watch any epl game, whether it be top or lower level table team, and i'm sure you'll change your mind. one more thing, pele, the most famous footballer was never ever corrupt, right?

i watch epl games. i can see most games live. i just don't dig the epl style. i like chelsea, liverpool and used to like arsenal. but the spanish or the italian leagues were and still are way more interesting. they seem to have 5-6 good teams at the same time. the english premier leauge or the German Bundesliga usually can't compete against that.

i just don't think that the English, Italian or German soccer style were ever that good. each country had fantastic players and fantastic teams at times, but the leagues and the national teams did not stick out great.

the national teams of argentinia, brazil, jugoslavia, the netherlands, france and the czech republic always had a great style.

• fake or not?
    click on cheerleader toss

The ass slapping and back riding is definitely real.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    1)

2) English soccer is not that good - It should be called foreign legionaire league - there has never been well played soccer in England - their current height comes from abroad...

Rubbish!

Yes, rubbish.

The Brazilian national teams (And a few other countries) are always really good. But their leagues?? Umm no...

Premiership is the best, thats why most of the best players in the world end up going there.

Oh yeah... BTW L I V E R P O O L!!!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    1)

Rubbish!

Yes, rubbish.

The Brazilian national teams are always really good. But their leagues?? Umm no...

Premiership is the best, thats why most of the best players in the world end up going there.

• liverpool are starting to play well in the league..

peter 'bambi' crouch is the definition of a transfer

• 1) he is Ronaldinho - I'm 100% sure that he can do that - some of my medium skilled soccer friends could do that on a lucky day - it's not impossible to do

No fucking way. Even the Lebron James commercial was more believable. If soccer players were actually that good AND consistent, there would be absolutely no need to have a goalie standing there during shoot-outs.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    liverpool are starting to play well in the league..

peter 'bambi' crouch is the definition of a transfer

Nah, anyone who's seen him play will tell you that he's brought an extra dimension to the attacking play since we signed him. Considering his height makes him more suited to the NBA, he's got quite a skilful touch, and he bossed the home CL tie against Real Betis the other week. Him and Morientes need to stop getting in each other's way when they play together, though.

It's funny how people are making such a big issue of how long it took him to score his first goal for us, especially when both Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush went longer periods without a goal when they played for Liverpool. I watched the game on Saturday, and it was hilarious to hear the pundits and commentators arguing over whether or not the first goal should have been attributed to him, as if they knew that would be it for the constant "When will Peter Crouch score?" chatter. Then he went and got a second People talk a lot of bullshit about players nowadays. They seem to forget it's a team game and that teams generally aren't made up of eleven Ronaldinhos. Even the greatest strikers will go through fallow periods, and very few of them are thirty-goals-a-season players anyway. Those who do score thirty a season manage that kind of strike rate because they're surrounded by a great team who will create the space and the opportunities for them to do their thing in. It ain't a one man band - never was, never will be.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    1)

Rubbish!

Yes, rubbish.

The Brazilian national teams (And a few other countries) are always really good. But their leagues?? Umm no...

Premiership pays the most $$$$ that is why most of the "best" players end up there.... after winning medals with other teams. Do you want me to make a list????

I'm not mad at them for coming over though.

1)

Rubbish!

Yes, rubbish.

Premiership pays the most $$$$ that is why most of the "best" players end up there.... after winning medals with other teams. Do you want me to make a list????

But isn't that what makes it the best league? If a huge portion of the best players around the world are coming to the premiership, I would think that makes it the best...

1)

Rubbish!

Yes, rubbish.

But isn't that what makes it the best league? If a huge portion of the best players around the world are coming to the premiership, I would think that makes it the best...

I said "best" not best... as in they come over as established superstars, look great, go shopping in London, and then don't win shit, while the Spanish, French, and Italian teams manage to recruit more youngsters you never heard of who score goals and then get sold off for massive profit.... to the EPL.

Some exceptions: Dennis Bergkamp. He is that dude.

1)

Rubbish!

Yes, rubbish.

I said "best" not best... as in they come over as established superstars, look great, go shopping in London, and then don't win shit, while the Spanish, French, and Italian teams manage to recruit more youngsters you never heard of who score goals and then get sold off for massive profit.... to the EPL.

Don't win shit? Umm didn't a premiership team win the Champions League last?

heh just playyyyyying

I understand what ur saying. But seriously, watching other leagues to me are like watching Division II NCAA. Sure, they have 1 or 2 great teams in the league, but the rest of the teams in the league are always shite & borrrring. The same thing is just not true in the premiership.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    1)

Rubbish!

Yes, rubbish.

Thierry Henry, who's now easily one of the best players in the Prem, first came to England as a rookie wide-player. Robert Pires didn't come to England with a particularly impressive rep, either. And, although he came from Serie A, Patrick Vieira was a long way from the player he became at the time he signed for Arsenal. While I'm doing the unthinkable and bigging up Arsenal's long-term signing policy, I may as well mention Cesc Fabregas, Philippe Senderos and Gael Clichy; three teenagers brought in from overseas as unknowns, who all have the potential to develop into world-class players in time. There's a half-dozen exceptions to your rule right there and, like Bergkamp, they're all Arsenal or ex-Arsenal players

Of course, there are just as many that prove the rule - Juan Sebastian Veron and Adrian Mutu spring to mind - and there's never been a shortage of players in the twilight of their career who come to England for one last big payday. It's worth noting that, for all their undeniable skill, very few Brazilians have succeeded in the English league, and fewer have played for successful Premiership sides. Off the top of my head, I can think of three; Silvinho, Edu and Gilberto Silva. And, surprise surprise, guess who they play for...?

Don't win shit? Umm didn't a premiership team win the Champions League last?
    heh just playyyyyying

I understand what ur saying. But seriously, watching other leagues to me are like watching Division II NCAA. Sure, they have 1 or 2 great teams in the league, but the rest of the teams in the league are always shite & borrrring. The same thing is just not true in the premiership.

Yes, to a certain extent. But a lot more of the lower teams could teach any English team a lesson in ball control and tactics. Personally, I think the PL is where you see the most amazing goals scored, but if you want to see some beautiful buildup play, watch Spanish or even German leagues. And scoring wonder goals does not win world cups, just ask any team from the Balkans.

Still trying to figure out Liverpool. Great manager???

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    How does "Brasilian" soccer differ from "English" soccer?

• Still trying to figure out Liverpool. Great manager???

i think the squad is finally all starting to gel. it was a big change from the houlier era to the rafa era. i know chelsea will be hard to catch, but if the reds continue at this pace, we'll finish second.

liv erp double o l liverpool fc...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

??????????????????????????????????????? it's like british jazz differs from brazilian jazz. like ian carr differs from som 3...

On a national level? We could look at the last time they played a competitive match. England went a goal up, and then shat their pants. If Steve McMannaman had been on the pitch they might have been able to hold on to a lead. BUT HE WASN'T EVEN SELECTED FOR THE SQUAD because playing for Real and not starting EVERY match made him suspect in the eyes of the English media, who basically pick the team.

The main difference is English players know how to score goals, but the other top nations know how to keep the ball, and in the World Cup, you can't have much of the former without the latter.

And coaching in the UK (from U10 on up) has sucked for as long as I can remember. They are bred to lose.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    seriously dude, mcmanaman????

if we had to resort to him, the national team would be in a world of trouble. Actually it already is, sven has no imagination for this team, considering all the talent that is on board. Their long ball tactics are very counter productive to their esteemed talent. It's especially apparent when the team is in the lead.....

This is the last hurrah for the current england squad, if they don't do it in this world cup. That's it...........

I would equate the EPL as working man soccer, it rewards hard work...........too much diving & complaining in serie a for me.

seriously dude, mcmanaman????

if we had to resort to him, the national team would be in a world of trouble. Actually it already is, sven has no imagination for this team, considering all the talent that is on board. Their long ball tactics are very counter productive to their esteemed talent.

This is the last hurrah for the current england squad, if they don't do it in this world cup. That's it...........

I would equate the EPL to the working man soccer, it's rewards hard work...........too much diving & complaining in serie a for me.

I was talking about over 3 years ago when he was at his peak - you know playing for Real Madrid?? That was the cup that the Manc youth team plus 4 should have won.

Diving and complaining are rising in the PL, and not just by long-haired girly men with vowels at the end of their names.

Long ball tactics have been around a lot longer than Sven. It's all they've known since the days of wingers. Shit is instinctive! You familiar with jumpers for goal posts?

• hardasfuck

what a waste

thug life

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yes there's diving in epl, just like every other league, Albeit it's not as ingrained into the mindset of every player like it is in Italy. I just prefer the pace of action, whereas it feels more plodding in other leagues.

Plus I grew up watching it, so there's no rationale behind it to be honest, it's what I'm most familiar with and it brings back memories.

sorry dude, mcmannanman was not good enough 3 yrs ago, he did not merit a spot on the squad. By your rationale, can you please explain the Owen Hargraves selection? He doesn't play in England but have received numerous caps.

Plus how can you fault a coach for not picking a player that hasn't been playing regularly. Match fitness is not something that can be picked up over night.

Long ball tactic has been the m.o. for the british for ages, that I recognize. But you do realize that Sven is not english, plus this squad's pace/talent allows him to go beyond conventional wisdom.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

HAHA... One of the greatest football pics ever.

Shoot me... I miss Gazza and his styleeeeeeeeee

Also, Vinnie, better actor than baller? Plz discuss!!!

• the steve mcmanaman reason is funny...

whats missing from the england team now???

PASSION

no drive,no Real team spirit.

we have the players,definitely.look at former world cup squads england have had..not the greatest players all through the team but they had the passion and the typical english team spirit to drive them forwards..you can`t say that italia `90 squad was quality throughout,but they did us proud.

erikkson has no passion,no pride,no drive or emotion that shows.trying to get england to defend leads with 45 minutes to go will never work - it isn`t what we are about.he did that against brazil(11 against 10 and we created no chances??) and against france in the european tournament.

i can honestly say we`d have a chance if we had more confidence and a coach who shows he cares.

Shoot me... I miss Gazza and his styleeeeeeeeee

Also, Vinnie, better actor than baller? Plz discuss!!!

I still have a newspaper headline I cut out and saved from just before Euro96. "GAZZA IS MISSING LINK" They meant from a football point of view, but may have stumbled onto something much bigger! Vinnie is a good actor.

Here's my main point about the English game. Every 2 years, the whole of England starts this big orgyfest about how they gonna win, beat ze Chermans, outscore Brasil, whatever, and it always ends in tears. On the other hand, you have people in top footballing nations saying that this and that about their team sucks, he needs replacing etc, and we'd be overjoyed if they even got to the semis.... then they do, and beat England on penalties. A little healthy scepticism goes a long way.

IMO, McMannaman should have had more built around him instead of being asked to run back and forth between defence and attack, as the long balls fly past.

Hargreaves was a bandwaggon choice for the last cup, some of it was race related but he does seem to be a good player, and he's not a product of the UK youth system.

At the end of the day, England has no system of play, and always hope for a star striker (preferably white) to win it all. Doesn't happen.

the steve mcmanaman reason is funny...

PASSION

They need to stop putting the game into Becks hands on the kicks. If I see that shit next year.. IMMA kill somebody!

That and playing like lil panty nonces when they are up a goal.

the steve mcmanaman reason is funny...

PASSION

i can honestly say we`d have a chance if we had more confidence and a coach who shows he cares.

This sort of talk is great on the terraces, won't win you shit, mate. Now go paint your face and work on the beer gut!