Graffiti Hurts

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Graffiti Hurts?? - Care for Your Community is a grassroots community education program. It was developed in 1996 by Keep America Beautiful, Inc. through a grant from The Sherwin-Williams Company, producers of Krylon?? brand of aerosol paint.The Graffiti Hurts?? Program is dedicated to raising awareness about the harmful effects of graffiti vandalism on communities. At the heart of the Graffiti Hurts?? Program are four goals: 1. Educate citizens about the importance of graffiti prevention and abatement. 2. Provide local municipalities with a platform for delivering graffiti prevention messages. 3. Utilize local organizations and Keep America Beautiful affiliates to provide opportunities to give back through community service. 4. Create healthier, safer and more livable community environments.The Graffiti Hurts?? Program also helps communities initiate local graffiti prevention activities, and educates youth and adults about the impact of graffiti vandalism. To do this, the Graffiti Hurts?? web site contains all the tools communities need to begin graffiti education, prevention, and clean-up. Individuals and communities can also order a Graffiti Hurts?? video and poster.http://www.graffitihurts.com/

Comments

• uhhh, OK...so do you support this organization and/or advocate their message?

• A grant that is probably .001% of all the money they make from graffiti-related sales and publicity.

• Yeah, what are you trying to say? Anti-dubs or what?
    Get rid of guns first, they would hurt more... Strange place.

...but put us up if you can...

• They have no love for us.If it wasent for the GRAFF pioners KRYLON would be nothing.We made you a house hold name. FUCKERS! DUNE493 TWS,NVS,NRG,LTD,JC BRICK CITY 1985

• RUST OLEUM is better but they have no love for GRAFF so FUCK UM

• We never had Krylon or Rustoleum, Melbourne had Plastikote (eeeech).
    We had to rely on Touch-Ups, Dulux, Dupli-Color, Marabu Buntlach (the dope thick shit).

Now it's all about Montana, Belton, Molotow, Proline & Ironlak...

Krylon are waaaay behind the times...
    They probably know they can't compete with the European brands & are trying for something else... Suckers.

BLAZE- IBS/HP/PS/BS - 1984 (if you wanna get specific) Ha!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

saying.
    peace, jacksoff

• saying.
    peace, jacksoff

A centipede stole my shoe...

Oh i get it, Espo up to some new tricks, eh?

Did you read this rubbish.... From their PDF file on the game Getting Up...
    "While this is not the first video game to feature graffiti vandalism, Keep America Beautiful believes that featuring real-world tutorials on tagging and trespassing crosses a line that other games previously have not."

WHAT??? They are implying that a "computer game" about graffiti is far worse than a "computer game" in which people are killed. Wierd logic. Wolfenstein, Doom, Grand Theft Auto, etc... They'd probably want to ban it before they would a game about Abu Ghraib.

• You can't stop gaffiti. These folls are fighting a losing battle - it reminds me of that film Smallville, where they banned art.

FOLLS.

• How can you stop art.FUCK KRYLON!Piss water in a can.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    uhhh, OK...so do you support this organization and/or advocate their message?

i found it funny. "graffiti hurts." hurts who?

It makes (hurts) the community & neighborhood look like shit. Plus who do you think pays to clean it up? Taxpayers. If my property value goes down or I have to paint my wall on my day off because a bunch of zit faced teenagers want to "reprezent" on my wall and in my neighborhood they might be the ones getting hurt.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    It makes (hurts) the community & neighborhood look like shit. Plus who do you think pays to clean it up? Taxpayers. If my property value goes down or I have to paint my wall on my day off because a bunch of zit faced teenagers want to "reprezent" on my wall and in my neighborhood they might be the ones getting hurt.

I don't buy this...it is a reverse thing as well...i remember one ad in an old Australian Graff magazine called "Hype" where you saw a guy cleaning a painted train. Underneath, it said "Artists creating jobs"...it just depends from which ankle you look at it. I personally don't think it looks like shit, but i like to beat the hell out of toys that cannot tag properly

I don't buy this...it is a reverse thing as well...i remember one ad in an old Australian Graff magazine called "Hype" where you saw a guy cleaning a painted train. Underneath, it said "Artists creating jobs"

so you saw this in a graff mag huh?

...it just depends from which ankle you look at it. I personally don't think it looks like shit, but i like to beat the hell out of toys that cannot tag properly

OK dude don't buy it. But if you've never been lucky enough to have your entire neighborhood tagged by a bunch of toys you really can't speak on it. If you tag/bomb residential hoods and other peoples property you're a fucking TOY and as they say . I could give a fuck how skilled you are w/ the can keep that shit @ the paint spots and alleys.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

thats only one side of the story. there are things that the government is doing thats hurting your tax dollars way more then cleaning up some graffiti.

thats only one side of the story. there are things that the government is doing thats hurting your tax dollars way more then cleaning up some graffiti.

Thank you for enlighting me w/ those words of wisdom. What's your side of the story?

Now tell me about what the goverment is doing.

• was there already a long discussion about the new graffiti video game? or did no one here read that far???

invented by mark ecko?

then you have this graffitihurts site which claims that reasearchers have concluded that scribble jam is responsible for $30,000 in graffiti damage. did anyone read that schitt??? comparing that to the video game which will lead to $,$$$,$$$'s in damage.

the video game "getting up" sounds like GRAND THEFT AUTO for graf heads. people are calling it a graffiti training video, which it kind of is. i don't know which way i feel about this. my first impression would be, "this is the end of graffiti art" but graffiti is already dead anyway, so maybe the game is a good idea. making fun of how dead graffiti is by watching 8 yr olds tag with controllers.

• i dunno, i live in the city. i think it's funny when people get pissed about bombing. at the same time though, if somebody bombed my house (and it has happened, people who know me even, dumb broad) and i didn't live in the hood or an apartment building, i'd be pissed. otherwise i think any kind of innercity bombing is cool. no limits in the hood. bomb whatever. people get emo hurt about it, oh well. it's the city. the city is ugly. on some beautiful decay shit. what would it be without graff? even uglier. less color. more dirt, grime, rust, smog, pollution, etc is all you'd see. no color. no art. nothing to look at. i think if anything, innercity communities can benefit more from graffiti than they can be hurt by it. innercity bombers, cats that grew up innercity, a lot of them claim that without graff, they would have been bangers. hmm. so without graff, we would have more g's. more thugs. that's just what we need!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    reasearchers have concluded that scribble jam is responsible for $30,000 in graffiti damage.

Of course, that's just a drop in the bucket compared to the massive damage Scribble Jam does to one's ears and music appreciation.

• FUCK KRYLON!Piss water in a can.

Word. That shit is too watered down except for quick throwies they are dope cuz they spray wide and light. Rusto is my favorite brand I can find at Home Depot or regular hardware stores. Molotow cans are sick too but you can only get those legally which kills it for me.

Anyways like Rap79 said, keep that shit in paint spots and alleys. I think it's dope catching landmarks around the neighborhood but when people get outta hand tagging on everything they see, including cars and houses, it gets wack and a bad name. Also tagbangers are FUCKIN WACK. Pulling out guns and knives over graff is

• innercity bombers, cats that grew up innercity, a lot of them claim that without graff, they would have been bangers. hmm. so without graff, we would have more g's. more thugs. that's just what we need!

confirm...because when you grow up in the innercity, your only two choices in life are

a) gangbanging

b) tagging