Stark Reality - more bean dip from SWEDEN

2»

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Are those Bugle Boys you're wearing?

They are snazzy, aren't they? I was DJing a Halloween party and I went as Indiana Jones. Get it?

If nothing else, I'm getting visits to my never visited site that hasn't been updated in a year. How about signing up folks? You'll be added to the oh so awesome DJ Ferrari newsletter. Version 2 of the site is in the works and I'll be sure to add more incriminating pictures of me and my pretty wardrobe.

DJ Ferrari

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Great, another 6 days of stress now!

Thanks for the heads up Monty.

DJ Ferrari
    heh... i hope nobody else bids so you can get it for 2, or, maybe i should really hope you get outbid so you won't waste all that bread.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    what I don't understand is why this record doesn't turn up around HERE, in Boston...the WGBH studios are like 1/2 mile from my apartment...I always expect that someday it will turn up in a thift or yard sale...has anyone ever tried contacting WGBH directly to find out if they have a case of them?

...on a only slightly related note, WGBH recently replayed an episode of their long-running Black community-affairs show, "Basic Black" from 1970, that featured a live in-studio performance by and interview with George Clinton and Parliament...I read about it the day AFTER it aired...

• Aww... what happened? I'm guessing it's another case of dude contacting seller to end auction early by offering a mad crazy price.

No, it got shut down because of the paypal surcharge clause. Notice conspicuous absence of "4%".

• montymonty 420 Posts
    what I don't understand is why this record doesn't turn up around HERE, in Boston...the WGBH studios are like 1/2 mile from my apartment...I always expect that someday it will turn up in a thift or yard sale...has anyone ever tried contacting WGBH directly to find out if they have a case of them?
    GBH had nothing to do with the record - that was all Ahmad Jamal's doing. i didn't even see it in stores in Boston, but i moved to LA before 1970 was over and Tower on Sunset had at least half a dozen in the rack.

GBH had nothing to do with the record - that was all Ahmad Jamal's doing. i didn't even see it in stores in Boston, but i moved to LA before 1970 was over and Tower on Sunset had at least half a dozen in the rack.

Now I understand, thanks. I would have thought they were distributing it, like how PBS always seems to make and sell their own items, like VHS of Frontline, etc...of course, this was over 30 years ago, so I shouldn't expect it to be the same. I guess I can give up the pipe dream of going to a WGBH parking lot flea market and finding an unopened case then, huh?

By the way, Monty, I think it's great to hear you weigh in these discussions of your work, it takes Soul Strut to a whole other level. I wish we could get more artists here to talk about their music. I would be really interested in doing a phone interview with you for my radio show, I'll hit you on PM about it.

Speaking of WGBH, I have a record that was the soundtrack to Next Door, a film based on a Vonnegut short story from Welcome to the Monkey House. The group is The Classical Soul featuring Mae Arnette. Really beautiful soul. Looks like a small pressing on Silver Records from 1975. A 7 inch record inside a full LP jacket. Anyone know anything about that?

DJ Ferrari

Speaking of WGBH, I have a record that was the soundtrack to Next Door, a film based on a Vonnegut short story from Welcome to the Monkey House. The group is The Classical Soul featuring Mae Arnette. Really beautiful soul. Looks like a small pressing on Silver Records from 1975. A 7 inch record inside a full LP jacket. Anyone know anything about that?

DJ Ferrari

Only as much as you do...we got one in at the record store I worked at a few years back, but the owner wanted to get eBay green for it, and got one bidder to bite on a $50 reserve, so I was s.o.l.

It's funny you mention that, because that item coming into the store, and this other WGBH produced free jazz record, are what always made me think a Stark Reality would pop up, too...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

dusty gloob

Respect to Ferrari for having a good sense of humor

dusty gloob

Respect to Ferrari for having a good sense of humor

I see the fedora over to the left, was there a bullwhip? But the real question is, is that green thing on the amp an Indy Jones prop?
    SNAKES IN A BAG??

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    That must be the "from the classroom to the jungle but I gotta dj this house party real quick" phase.

Funny you mention the dust because I was using my buddy's equipment. It was his house and he had everything so there was no need to cart all my shit over, but his tables hadn't been used in years... back when we were roomies in college and I was using them. He's a techno DJ and he dubbed himself DJ Dusty Records because his shit was collecting so much dust. I told him he wasn't allowed to use that name because it was actually a compliment in some circles and his 50 or so trance records don't really fit the title.

I think that green bag is some Halloween candy someone brought over and left for me. No snakes, no whip... aka 'shit it's Halloween, what can I wear while DJing'. Damn, that party was insane. I now live in the house it was at and there's a pool, a hot tub and a putting green in the backyard. Hilarity always ensues.

DJ Ferrari

It's funny you mention that, because that item coming into the store, and this other WGBH produced free jazz record, are what always made me think a Stark Reality would pop up, too...

I got that record from my mom of all people. I'm thinking, 'Yeah? well where's the Stark Reality?'. I grew up in Plymouth by the way. Good ole Plymouth Rock

DJ Ferrari