Tony Draper

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Ok, I know we've covered this before, but what ever happened to Tony Draper and Suave House Records? I was just listening to:and also: DAAAAAAMN Suave House used to drop some down south pimpin' gangsta heat!

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    WOSSNESS in the 2K5 trumps SUAVEHOUSE

Can these names get any better/worse?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Can these names get any better/worse[/b]?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    8BALL and MJG get a MEGA AYYO, too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You little dudes really need to be quiet.

I am serious. How you gonna be all on that new Houston shit and then disrespect some legends of the South?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

I am serious. How you gonna be all on that new Houston shit and then disrespect some legends of the South?

Tell em Faux! Ball and JG are up there with Geto Boys on some south legend shit. BTW Tony Draper has some label on Warner now I think. I sold them some slaps awhile ago.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Word! Speak on it Rillz! Mylatency, run up on Eightball and MJG if they roll through SD and tell them they "get a MEGA AYYO" and see what happens. Those dudes would SMASH you. You'd have to put ALL your records on eBay to cover your doctor bills!

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    http://www.viceland.com/issues/v12n3/htdocs/crunk.php

We always had our own scene down here Memphis. Our music can be like me and MJG, where it's soul, like that modern-day Al Green shit. Or you got a group like Triple 6 Mafia, where it's some get buck shit.

"Get buck" is just another term for what everybody's now calling "crunk." We said "get buck" back in the day, they say "crunk" now. If you want my honest opinion, I think that crunk music was completely influenced by get-buck music. In fact, crunk is get-buck music???period.

But the origins of a slang term aren't that important. I mean, who was the first motherfucker to say "dope" or "fresh"? Was we trippin' when the term "def" went all over the world? The only time it gets played out is when corporate America takes it and runs with it: "These Pampers are crunk" or whatever. That's when you say, "OK, enough is enough. They done wore ???crunk' out."

I hope the world can see that the South is more than crunk music. We weren't built on crunk, man.

We signed with Bad Boy Records recently. Working with Bad Boy ain't too different from working with Universal or Interscope. Shit looks different on the outside looking in, but it isn't. It's a regular fuckin' record label with regular fuckin' record-label problems. But it's cool. We're gonna keep pumping the dope wherever we are. And our deal with Bad Boy is very short.

I gotta talk real with you. I can't sugarcoat this shit. It's like a tug of war with them right now. It's not all that we thought it was going to be, and I don't know if we're all they thought we'd be. But we did our end. With the small amount of promotion we got, we still sold like 600,000 records. We did that by ourselves. Bad Boy is a fly, pretty label. Their main focus is somewhere other than us.

This is an East Coast-based magazine, and a lot of East Coast motherfuckers need to be reading this. I'm not proclaiming that Eightball and MJG are the greatest shit that ever happened to Southern rap music, but we got our own following and we do what we do. I'm happy as well that my 600,000 fans buy my record every time it comes out. Because I know a lot of motherfuckers that came out in '93, when we did, that's locked up or working at McDonald's or just ain't fucking with rap anymore.

- EIGHTBALL

(For the record, we think that Eightball and MJG are one of the greatest things that ever happened to rap music, period.)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Space Age Pimpin instramental on repeat for an hour.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

I gotta talk real with you. I can't sugarcoat this shit. It's like a tug of war with them right now. It's not all that we thought it was going to be, and I don't know if we're all they thought we'd be. But we did our end. With the small amount of promotion we got, we still sold like 600,000 records. We did that by ourselves. Bad Boy is a fly, pretty label. Their main focus is somewhere other than us.

This is an East Coast-based magazine, and a lot of East Coast motherfuckers need to be reading this. I'm not proclaiming that Eightball and MJG are the greatest shit that ever happened to Southern rap music, but we got our own following and we do what we do. I'm happy as well that my 600,000 fans buy my record every time it comes out. Because I know a lot of motherfuckers that came out in '93, when we did, that's locked up or working at McDonald's or just ain't fucking with rap anymore.

- EIGHTBALL

That photo is fantastic. Shit, whoever took that is on point

These two paragraphs are serious. In 1993 I was 11. A year ago in 1993 I was still ten. I'd just be finishing third grade. I did a project on Pocahontos. My group made a mobile with a timeline and drawings of her and John Smith. These days I'm always listening to 8Ball/MJG on my headphones. I was on a serious "We Started This" into Bruce's "I'm on Fire" kick on this one tape. I'd rewind halfway through the song, just listen to Ball's verse. The parts where he pauses and you think he's done but he's not; the silence there is just as compelling as the rapping. Shit is tense. I mean that as un-corny as possible, simply that he can make the spaces between words as the words themselves.

I played "Just Like Candy" to 800 indie fans at the Q and Not U/French Kicks show the other night. I wonder what they thought.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I played "Just Like Candy" to 800 indie fans at the Q and Not U/French Kicks show the other night. I wonder what they thought.

Oh, that's my shit:

It's reserved for them ballas, who make that cheese
    It ain't candy if it didn't cost a couple of Gs
    On your Jeep, your truck, your Chevy or your Lexus
    5th wheel on the grill like them playaz do in Texas
    My folks gettin sideways in Vallejo
    Ballas in Memphis slammin' shut the Cadillac doors
    Full of ink so blinked I could fly
    To a world where you have to roll candy or you die
    Descending, my mind goes back into reality
    To some, having candy paint is just a fantasy
    Custom leather everywhere you look is woodgrain
    Big Ball tellin' you it's all about the candy, mayne

I vaguely remember when dudes were signed to JCOR there was a 12" with a Disco D remix on the flip - was it southern sounding or some booty bass shit?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I vaguely remember when dudes were signed to JCOR there was a 12" with a Disco D remix on the flip - was it southern sounding or some booty bass shit?

Is that the same disco D that just did ski mask way? I heard he used to make "ghettotech" records. whatever that is.

Is that the same disco D that just did ski mask way? I heard he used to make "ghettotech" records. whatever that is.

yep. i'm pretty sure the 12" i'm thinking of was for "buck bounce"

yep. i'm pretty sure the 12" i'm thinking of was for "buck bounce"

Buck Bounce, at least on the 12" I have, is remix-less

• Options

That "Ass and Titties" track by DJ Assault is a good intro into ghettotech.

thanks to the powers of google, i can add this to my promo-bin want list

squint hard enough it says "ghetto-tech remix"

thanks to the powers of google, i can add this to my promo-bin want list

squint hard enough it says "ghetto-tech remix"

Okay that is so cool