I-tunes network sharing/Our-tunes

SensiRiderSensiRider 97 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I've got a two-parter to start this post:

1) I'm on a network with some people sharing their i-tunes and some people using password protection. Our-tunes works no problem for the non-protected libraries, but does anybody know how I can get it to access those libraries that are protected but for which I've got the password?

2) Going through what my co-workers have in their i-tunes is interesting for all kinds of reasons, but recently I've been noticing the things that everybody's got. I work in a university and here's what the faculty/staff on our network are guaranteed to have:

-Radiohead
-Nina Simone
-Changesbowie
-Miles Davis "kind of blue" and "sketches of spain"
-Goldberg varations
-Johnny Cash
-Massive Attack
-Some kind of Mingus
-Pixies "Doolittle" and "Bossanova"
-Tribe Called Quest
-Some selection of Outkast
-probably some JayZ
-Al Green (pretty much greatest hits)
-Bob Dylan
-Beatles
-Ray Charles

What do you guys see in your area. Are these the core of some kind of present-day "cultural literacty" for a certain kind of 20-40 year old?

Comments

• we have itunes network sharing at my work and there are a few people who all have the same exact pop albums because they ask the IT guy to copy the music files directly from the other's computer.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I don't know about accessing password protected sites. What I do know is, when I first started here at TM, a coworker was kind enough to hook me up with this...

ott.jar

I think it might just be for a mac. you can browse and do w nlo a d son gs from shared libraries....

• Yeah, ott is our-tunes. What I'm talking about is when you look at the Shared Music libraries listed on the left of i-tunes some of them have the old padlock icon and if you try and access you get asked for the password. For some of these I've got the password and I'm tring to get our-tunes to recognize that fact...

• oddly enough the only thing that everyone in my office has in their itunes is AC/DC. All the guys have James Brown, Rage Against The Machine, Beastie Boys & Aretha Franklin and all the girls have Prince, Coldplay, Maroon 5 & John Mayer.

I find it weird to see Celine Dion in the 22 year old just out of college girl's library

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

-Radiohead
    -Nina Simone
    -Changesbowie
    -Miles Davis "kind of blue" and "sketches of spain"
    -Goldberg varations
    -Johnny Cash
    -Massive Attack
    -Some kind of Mingus
    -Pixies "Doolittle" and "Bossanova"
    -Tribe Called Quest
    -Some selection of Outkast
    -probably some JayZ
    -Al Green (pretty much greatest hits)
    -Bob Dylan
    -Beatles
    -Ray Charles

no wonder. all solid.

but what's "goldberg variations"?

• on my university network i've seen a lot of:

our lady peace, creed, shitty alternative music
    lil jon, normal radio rap music

on a rare occasion i'll see a decent artist, but it's usually just a couple tracks if anything.... so i tend to stick to my own itunes, as interesting as the whole network thing is. no idea how to access password protected lists though.

• on a rare occasion i'll see a decent artist, but it's usually just a couple tracks if anything....

one (so I thought) nerdy white dude has The Joe Quartman LP, Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love and both Sharon Jones records smack dab against the worst nu-country ish you can imagine!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    our lady peace, creed, shitty alternative music

seems redundant