Ray Manzarek sez:

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
"Artists and corporations working together, that's the 21st century. That's the true Age of Aquarius." can i puke now?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

can i puke now?

yes

• Worst Dude Ever (somebody make the graemlin)

• Dude likes to hear himself talk....

• Worst Dude Ever

hahaha

• He's got mouths to feed.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    He's got mouths to feed.

...and turtlenecks to buy.

• Dude's responsible for the two funniest moments in Please Kill Me:

1. The quote: "Jim Morrison was a shaman."

2. The story he tells about when Iggy Pop showed up to rehearse with his Ray Manzarek-led band completely naked.

• I've seen a few of his records around. Are any of them any good?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Dude's responsible for the two funniest moments in Please Kill Me:

2. The story he tells about when Iggy Pop showed up to rehearse with his Ray Manzarek-led band completely naked.

"You have to reconcile your Freudian impulses with your Jungian impulses before you can become a master of the universe".

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHBAG!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• Dude's responsible for the two funniest moments in Please Kill Me:

1. The quote: "Jim Morrison was a shaman."

yes, i remember that being the moment i fully grasped the depths of his douchebaggery

He's got mouths to feed.

...and turtlenecks to buy.

i've heard he has a special room in manzarek mansion for all his turtlenecks. he doesn't want his other garments in the same room because it will dilute the potency of the turtleneck

• I've seen a few of his records around. Are any of them any good?

are you a fan of keyboardists

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

right place, right time... that record would have been good no matter what...

• This one has a FEW moments. Mostly on the track Begin The World again. It's been sampled in a blackalicious song... something off A2G EP... errr... that's gonna bug me...

Clockwork.

Had to pull that out and check. I hate when I can't remember shit like that...

I don't know anything else from him though. And that quote about corporations and artists seriously makes me feel ill. Yeeuuuuuuck!!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    the potency of the turtleneck

Coincidentally, the title of the next Anticon comp.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    "Artists and corporations working together, that's the 21st century. That's the true Age of Aquarius."

I'm surprised to see a quote from Ray that didn't have the words "Jim" or "Morrison" in it.

On this topic, I'm not a big Doors fan, but has anyone heard them with Ian Astbury singing? I haven't heard a note, but on paper, I gotta say it's

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    A quote from Ray about Ian Astbury:

The search for a new singer took a bit of time, but in the end, Manzarek and Krieger felt that Ian Astbury was the man. Recalls Manzarek, "We knew that Ian of the English band, The Cult, had always expressed a desire to perform with The Doors, saying that if we ever decided to go back out on the road, he wanted to be a part of it. What I like about Ian, is that he's coming from the same place as Jim, but he has a touch of the shaman about him. Ian is his own man. He's got that sense of danger about him that is so Morrison-esque, without being an imitation of Jim Morrison. We just couldn't resist him."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jim, Ray, John and Robby all came from different musical backgrounds. At one of their very first, maybe first rehearsals Morrison said "we will share all songwriting credits equally". (Is that in the movie? I never saw it.) Nice thing for the guy writing almost all the lyrics to do.

Jim never wanted to let any of their songs to be used in a commercial. When he was away one time he came back and was told they had sold a song to Jaguar for a lot of $$$. He got pissed and axed the deal.

So, John wrote an article a few years ago about all the offers they get to let a song be used in a commercial. John steadfastly holds firm in the face of million dollar offers. Robby goes along with John, and Jim's wishs. John has to listen to Ray's moaning and crying. John also tiths to charity, or progressive causes. He says every year he writes one very large check.

Ray wants the $$$.

• dude's probably the douchiest douche to ever douche the earth with its presence

• "Artists and corporations working together, that's the 21st century. That's the true Age of Aquarius."

I'm surprised to see a quote from Ray that didn't have the words "Jim" or "Morrison" in it.

On this topic, I'm not a big Doors fan, but has anyone heard them with Ian Astbury singing? I haven't heard a note, but on paper, I gotta say it's

Not a good sound either....

• pknypkny 549 Posts

dude's probably the douchiest douche to ever douche the earth with its presence

Others, like Jon Stewart, would beg to differ: