gwen stefani's new video

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
seriously I feel like this woman is playing herself out. it's another teenage girl ghetto fantasy montage with the old Between the Sheets beat (at least that's what it sounded like, there's a loud gardener outside and I'm hopped up on vicodin) So she's like hanging with her "homies" putting on nail polish and doing her hair and her Japanese clones are in the house, homegirl is 36 by the way, then she's grinding on Slim Thug and his platinum grill and she's all bare bidriff and then she's like in traditional Indian garb smashing pinatas and I'm like WTF, pick a culture to appropriate and stick with it. I'm starting to see why Madonna is mad at old girl for stealing her steelo.rant over.I'll be here all day. thanks.

Comments

• Yo she stole Nelly Furtado's flow on that track which is in itself
    well said on the rant.. then again, they are from Orange County....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    (there's a loud gardener outside and I'm hopped up on vicodin)

we rockin' stilettos ho

• pick a culture to appropriate and stick with it.

For real. If I was one of those Japanese chicks being used as windowdressing I'd want to kick Gwen's ass.

Unless I was getting REAL PAID of course

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    So she's like hanging with her "homies" putting on nail polish and doing her hair and her Japanese clones are in the house, homegirl is 36 by the way,

yeah, but that is who buys her records......its whack but she has money.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    cha chiiing, cha chiiing

worst...breakdown...evar

• Japanese clones

that is who buys her records

Japanese clones

Japanese clones

Japanese clones

• Yo she stole Nelly Furtado's flow on that track which is in itself
    well said on the rant.. then again, they are from Orange County....

Why do you think I wanna get outta here sooooooo bad....

OC is killin me with the lifted up trucks, middle class suburban kids dressin up like white trash and a weird fascination with star tattoos.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    she stole Nelly Furtado's flow

I never thought I'd see this combination of words. But, agreed, that's pretty

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    much to the chagrin of my girlfriend the soulstrut masses, i think gwen's really hot... and i actually enjoy her whole bizarre persona.

much to the chagrin of my girlfriend the soulstrut masses, i think gwen's really hot... and i actually enjoy her whole bizarre persona.

NO!

I would have tapped back in the "im just a girl days" but not anymore. she is like a bleached out skeleton.

• ya'll are just hattin. Yeas Anna it's between the sheets again, but for some reason this loop really doesn't get old to me. And I'm really not that concerned about there "cultural appropriation". It's just pop music for christ sakes. Have you seen her video for the single b4 this shoot in like Torino Italy or something. I was really feelin' the art dirrection on that. I also think that this song has pretty good lyrics about how success and money can leave you sorta jaded and played out...

NO!

I would have tapped back in the "im just a girl days" but not anymore. she is like a bleached out skeleton.
    this came up under "sexy skeleton"... hmmm, i'd tap.

• much to the chagrin of my girlfriend the soulstrut masses, i think gwen's really hot... and i actually enjoy her whole bizarre persona.

her unusually long torso reminds me of gumby

NO!

this came up under "sexy skeleton"... hmmm, i'd tap.

yeah.

Let me explain when I say I wouldnt tap:

Wouldnt Tap: I wont put any effort into trying to tap. If the situation arises where I can just tap without talking that much to her or hanging out or ever see the girl again then I will. So basically I will as long as no effort is put forth on my part.

I would Tap: I will Put some effort into trying to get the skins.

• ya'll are just hattin. Yeas Anna it's between the sheets again, but for some reason this loop really doesn't get old to me. And I'm really not that concerned about there "cultural appropriation". It's just pop music for christ sakes. Have you seen her video for the single b4 this shoot in like Torino Italy or something. I was really feelin' the art dirrection on that. I also think that this song has pretty good lyrics about how success and money can leave you sorta jaded and played out...

LOL!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Wouldnt Tap: I wont put any effort into trying to tap. If the situation arises where I can just tap without talking that much to her or hanging out or ever see the girl again then I will. So basically I will as long as no effort is put forth on my part.

Breezy, you are breaking Gwen's heart here.

Let me explain when I say I wouldnt tap:

I would Tap: I will Put some effort into trying to get the skins.
    my private mind garden's not even allowed to go there...

• What???s so funny Jonny? It's not hip or cool to appreciate art direction in top 40 videos? It's not ok to think about lyrical content and offer possible interpretations? It's not pc enough to not be offended by supposed heinous "cultural appropriation"? And no I'm not "mad doggie".

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    What???s so funny Jonny? It's not hip or cool to appreciate art direction in top 40 videos? It's not ok to think about lyrical content and offer possible interpretations? It's not pc enough to not be offended by supposed heinous "cultural appropriation"? And no I'm not "mad doggie".

You mad, doggie.

I hate Gwen Stefani's whole shtick. I do, however, really like "Hollaback Girl," but her persona is in ridiculously bad taste. I don't see how it's even remotely acceptable to have a group of asian girls follow you around to just sort've "be 'others'" that Gwen can associate herself with. So weird.

-e

• What???s so funny Jonny? It's not hip or cool to appreciate art direction in top 40 videos? It's not ok to think about lyrical content and offer possible interpretations? It's not pc enough to not be offended by supposed heinous "cultural appropriation"? And no I'm not "mad doggie".

You mad, doggie.

I hate Gwen Stefani's whole shtick. I do, however, really like "Hollaback Girl," but her persona is in ridiculously bad taste. I don't see how it's even remotely acceptable to have a group of asian girls follow you around to just sort've "be 'others'" that Gwen can associate herself with. So weird.

-e

Human props...

the thing i like about hollerback girl is that pharrell laid down the drum, one three-note guitar loop, a synth track, and two vocals.... for a BAZILLION DOLLARS!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    What???s so funny Jonny? It's not hip or cool to appreciate art direction in top 40 videos? It's not ok to think about lyrical content and offer possible interpretations? It's not pc enough to not be offended by supposed heinous "cultural appropriation"? And no I'm not "mad doggie".

You mad, doggie.

-e

Human props...

Exactly. Or, even worse, they're like human accessories... like earrings or a weird hat or something.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    the thing i like about hollerback girl is that pharrell laid down the drum, one three-note guitar loop, a synth track, and two vocals.... and IT'S A HOT BEAT!

No it's funny that you like the song... that's first...and then while justifying that by saying "hey it's pop music don't take it so seriously" you're simultaneously analyzing the art direction... too funny

• Human props...
    So what? Isn't music an art form? Aren't extras in movies just "human props"? And what about models in fashion, and those live window models? This is some concept shit. Yeah it's top 40 pop, but I'm glad to see some bold things going on. You are being engaged enough to be offended by this... Seems like an artistic and marketing success if you ask me. And to whoever said it (Marco I think) I'm sure those girls are WELL PAID and more than happy to play out their parts as "human props"...

the thing i like about hollerback girl is that pharrell laid down the drum, one three-note guitar loop, a synth track, and two vocals.... for a BAZILLION DOLLARS!

yeah but it is soo fuckin good

• No it's funny that you like the song... that's first...and then while justifying that by saying "hey it's pop music don't take it so seriously" you're simultaneously analyzing the art direction... too funny
    yeah, it's a laugh riot that I don't have my head stuck so far up my ass that I can see multiple angles...

the thing i like about hollerback girl is that pharrell laid down the drum, one three-note guitar loop, a synth track, and two vocals.... and IT'S A HOT BEAT!
    no man, i think that's the best pop song of the year, for reals... but it's funny that it's so simple, like he could've made it on my first 4-track.

• KISS

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Human props...
    So what? Isn't music an art form? Aren't extras in movies just "human props"? And what about models in fashion, and those live window models? This is some concept shit. Yeah it's top 40 pop, but I'm glad to see some bold things going on. You are being engaged enough to be offended by this... Seems like an artistic and marketing success if you ask me. And to whoever said it (Marco I think) I'm sure those girls are WELL PAID and more than happy to play out their parts as "human props"...

Yeah, fine, these girls are "well paid" and "happy to play out their parts," but that doesn't mean it's not ridiculously offensive. What the hells next? You going to try and justify the roles of mammies and sambos in early Hollywood cinema, too? "They were well paid and it was an artistic and marketing success!" Get the eff outta here with that ish.

-e