Stevie Wonder - Superstition___ The Jacksons - Musics Takin Over
    Outkast - Hey Ya___ Outkast - Bowtie
    A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario___ De La Soul - Ring Ring Ring
    Black Sheep - Choice is Yours___ Black Sheep - Gimmie The Finga remix
    Special Ed - I Got It Made___ Nine - Wutcha Want
    Audio Two - Top Billin___ Michee Me - Jamaican Funk
    Gangstarr - DWYCK___ Gangstarr - Speak Ya Clout
    Souls of Mischief - 93 till Infinity___ Casual - Thoughts of the Thoughtful
    Ray Charles--->Kanye "Gold digger" transition ___ En Vogue - Hold On---> LL Cool J - Boomin' System
    Notorious BIG - Hypnotize___ Notorious BIG - Unbelievable
    Zhane - Hey Mr DJ___ Soul II Soul - Back To Life

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Ban Hyphy music. As an uptight white dude, it scares me.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Ban Hyphy music. As an uptight white dude, it scares me.

bahaha!

• Ban Hyphy music. As an uptight white dude, it scares me.

I guess so, since that thread is now gone.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I like this way better, too. Here's a stab at it:

Hall and Oats - I can't Go For That___ 2 Live Crew--"I Can't Go for That"
    Stevie Wonder - Superstition___ Bill Withers--"Kissing My Love"
    Outkast - Hey Ya___ Absolutely anything
    A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario___ ATCQ--"Scenario" remix
    Black Sheep - Choice is Yours___ Run-DMC--"Beats to the Rhyme" or "Run's House"
    Special Ed - I Got It Made___ Tha Alkaholiks--"Daaaam!"
    Audio Two - Top Billin___ MC Lyte - "10 % Dis"
    Gangstarr - DWYCK___ Nice & Smooth--"Funky for You"
    Souls of Mischief - 93 till Infinity___ Del--"Mistadobalina" remix or "Dr. Bombay"
    Ray Charles--->Kanye "Gold digger" transition ___ Area Code 615----> Mantronix "Listen To the Bass of Get Stupid Fresh, Part II" transition (actually, Gwen McCrae-----> Main Source "Just Hangin' Out"-----> Sister Nancy "Bam Bam" is a better choice)
    Notorious BIG - Hypnotize___ D.O.C.--"Funky Enough"
    Zhane - Hey Mr DJ___ Lady Levi--"Looking for a Dope Beat"

• JUDJUD 82 Posts

Add T.R.O.Y. please

Never. That song is always pleasing to hear.
    Disagree, that song has been temporarily ruined for me by wack underground Hip-Hop dj's completely overplaying the specialness out of it.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Change the canon.

Hall and Oats - I can't Go For That___ Hall and Oats - Out of Touch
    Stevie Wonder - Superstition___ Stevie Wonder - Boogie on Reggae Woman
    Outkast - Hey Ya___ Outkast - The whole world
    A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario___ Phife - Ben Dova
    Audio Two - Top Billin___ 2live crew - get loose now Gangstarr - DWYCK___ Gangstarr - code of the streets
    Ray Charles--->Kanye "Gold digger" transition ___ Tina/Ike - Bold Soul Sister ---> Whatch my moves transition
    Notorious BIG - Hypnotize___ Notorious BIG - unbelievable

• Ray Charles--->Kanye "Gold digger" transition ___ Willie Hutch ---> Three 6 Mafia "Stay Fly" transition

pardon the breaks question - but willie hutch song does stay fly sample?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ANYONE WHO SAYS HALL AND OATES SHOULD BE BANNED - AND I MEAN ANYONE WHO SAYS ANYTHING NEGATIVE - SHUOLD BE BANNED FROM THE SITE. Sorry - but you may as well call me Tommy Matolla circa 81 when it comes to Hall and Oates. While I can understand that I Can't Go For That has been blown up - sorry - the groove's too infectious - one of the best songs in recorded history. That bass line is on par with Billie Jean in my opinion. And speaking - THERE'S your banned song. Billie Jean. Enough is enough. Others are:

Joan Jett - I Love Rock N Roll
    GNR - Paradise City
    ACDC - Shook Me All Night Long AND Highway To Hell AND Back in Black
    Choice is Yours - very good call on that
    Scenario - very good call on that
    Biggie - Hypnotize (this is one of Steve Aoki's favorite joints to play out - nuff said )
    and I love Ain't Nobody - but come one - there are way too many Chaka songs to only play that one. Do You Love What You Feel? I Know You, I Live You? Clouds?
    Any Love? come on now.
    Don't Stop til You Get Enough. I've had enough. So you can stop.
    Crunk music period. Stop.
    I'll continue. There's plenty.

• blends that are..on tempo, but out of key/pitch
    also if you are quick in the mix, you shouldnt have to worry about retiring songs..rock verse and be out.

i dont remember the last time i rocked a party where my crowd was all djs.

most patrons dont give a shit...they want to be pleased.

lets ban av8s/ premix records

• also if you are quick in the mix, you shouldnt have to worry about retiring songs..rock verse and be out.

i agree. most of the aforementioned songs are long since played out, but they still get recognition when they come on because they are classics and just fun songs. if i flip through the radio dial and Scenario is on, there is no doubt im gonna keep flipping. But if i'm at a club and the dj mixes it into a quick old school set, you can bet i'm screaming out "Who's That? Browwwwwwnnnnnn!!" On the other hand, the dj could have some musical taste, but most people are paying their $ to dance, not be enlightened. my vote is to retire all those songs you are trying to put everybody on to. save that shit for a mixtape.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Cosign Scenario, Choice is Yours..
    Add T.R.O.Y. please, and please 93 till infinity. 21 year olds were born in 1985! They don't want to party to no god damn shit big upping when they were 8.
    underground hip hop get over it for chrisake. good morning.
    whoa, this sounds crazy coming from Thes One

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    ANYONE WHO SAYS ANYTHING NEGATIVE - SHUOLD BE BANNED FROM THE SITE.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Most of the aforementioned songs are long since played out, but they still get recognition when they come on because they are classics and just fun songs.

It's a thin line to walk, true...
    I can't remember how many times i've played the aforementioned songs through the years, but it's up in the high hundereds.
    Thing is, people at a party/club/whatever still like to hear these songs. And the primary role of a DJ is to entertain the crowd, so that's why I still play them, albeit for as short as possible just to get it over and done with.
    When I walk into a club and hear a DJ playing these songs, I don't care too much, I just listen to the other stuff he/she plays before/after them.

Classics are called 'classics' for a reason.

Engine engine number 9, on the New York transit line...

• Most of the aforementioned songs are long since played out, but they still get recognition when they come on because they are classics and just fun songs.

It's a thin line to walk, true...
    I can't remember how many times i've played the aforementioned songs through the years, but it's up in the high hundereds.
    Thing is, people at a party/club/whatever still like to hear these songs. And the primary role of a DJ is to entertain the crowd, so that's why I still play them, albeit for as short as possible just to get it over and done with.
    When I walk into a club and hear a DJ playing these songs, I don't care too much, I just listen to the other stuff he/she plays before/after them.

Classics are called 'classics' for a reason.

Engine engine number 9, on the New York transit line...

classics are classic for a reason - people like to hear them. Entertain the crowd and play them what they like to hear. People will always bow down to 'Express Yourself' because it is a near perfect song, no matter if they have heard it once or a thousand times. Peace.

• People will always bow down to 'Express Yourself' because it is a near perfect song, no matter if they have heard it once or a thousand times. Peace.

Agreed.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    21 year olds were born in 1985!

and teenagers were born the day TROY was made. So you can still play those songs at high school dances. it will blow their fucking mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ray Charles--->Kanye "Gold digger" transition ___ Willie Hutch ---> Three 6 Mafia "Stay Fly" transition

pardon the breaks question - but willie hutch song does stay fly sample?

I was looking for a title - since yousendits are blocked at my work.

but I do know what it is now.

ANYONE WHO SAYS ANYTHING NEGATIVE - SHUOLD BE BANNED FROM THE SITE.

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=519605&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=all

Things ain't always what they seem b.

• ANYONE WHO SAYS ANYTHING NEGATIVE - SHUOLD BE BANNED FROM THE SITE.

ahh yes ... dreidal menorah...welcome back son

Good looks. But I don't know who anyone is now that everyone's name has changed.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Things ain't always what they seem b.

• ANYONE WHO SAYS HALL AND OATES SHOULD BE BANNED - AND I MEAN ANYONE WHO SAYS ANYTHING NEGATIVE - SHUOLD BE BANNED FROM THE SITE.

hahaha, word

It's all relative to each city and scene. What might be dead in one place, may be poppin' off somewhere else. I know the feeling of hearing a DJ play a record that I love or loved, but thinking, "Here we go again" , so i get it, just sayin', regional.

• If you "Can't Go For That," try going for this:

Simply Red
    "Sunrise"

Or this:

Biggie
    "I Can't Go For That/Can I Get Wit'cha?"

Herm

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'd like to ban every Peaches song there is.

And, YES, to those AV8 records.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Whoa, dudes are missing the picture, please let me clarify, for the sake of Hall n' Oats (if I didn't already)

Hall & Oats (the most successful pop duo of all time!)

Dudes really did it.

Listen, I think this was all misinterpreted into a thread about how DJ's shouldn't play "classics"/"familiar songs". Really, really not the case.

it is always cool to hear classics mixed into more thoughtful, less played selections. The average patron (god if this hasn't been talked to death on SS) wants to hear what they know, so the DJ gives it to em.

100% agreed

It's all relative to each city and scene. What might be dead in one place, may be poppin' off somewhere else. I know the feeling of hearing a DJ play a record that I love or loved, but thinking, "Here we go again" , so i get it, just sayin', regional.

You're the man, duder

This thread has been sponsored by

• Cosign Scenario, Choice is Yours..
    Add T.R.O.Y. please, and please 93 till infinity. 21 year olds were born in 1985! They don't want to party to no god damn shit big upping when they were 8.
    underground hip hop get over it for chrisake. good morning.

I'm 22 and I love 93 till infinity. Maybe its just me.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    whattup dunn?

funny seeing you in this neck of the woods.

what about toto 'georgie porgy'? does that get banned too?

got a replacement here for you - alan parsons project 'eye in the sky' disconet extended edit

---