this explains everything!

rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
AllHipHop.com: What was it like to record in that room?Will.I.Am: It was mad eerie. You don't understand how big this facility is. They gotta room as big as a basketball court- that's just filled with organ pipes and one organ. It's bigger than any basket ball gym. It's just got organ pipes and microphones in it. This facility is huge. A couple months ago and Fergie was singin' on the mic and I said, "What kind of mic is that?" The guy's like "This mic was made specifically for Hitler."[/b]

Comments

• AllHipHop.com: What was it like to record in that room?

Will.I.Am: It was mad eerie. You don't understand how big this facility is. They gotta room as big as a basketball court- that's just filled with organ pipes and one organ. It's bigger than any basket ball gym. It's just got organ pipes and microphones in it. This facility is huge. A couple months ago and Fergie was singin' on the mic and I said, "What kind of mic is that?" The guy's like "This mic was made specifically for Hitler."[/b]

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    wow

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    "This mic was made specifically for Hitler."[/b]

For those interested, the "Hitler mic" is a Neumann CMV3.

Sometimes referred to as the "bottle," "bottle cap," "Little Hitler," "Nazi Lollypop" mic. It's not a big secret. Neumann was a German company. And Hitler wanted his message spread to as many people as possible. What better way to do that than by using the then new broadcast technology, which included microphones?

Georg Neumann was a German manufacturer, most notably of microphones. But he also created the worlds best record cutting lathe, ID code signal transmitters, reference turntables, batteries, and the Direct Metal Mastering (DMM) process. The CMV3 was made '28, and was the first mass produced condenser mic. The fact that Hitler used it is a novelty in the history of recording.

Read more about Neumann here:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_neumann_celebrates_years_2/

And the Neumann/Gefell company here:

http://www.gefell-mics.com/gefell_history_1.htm

Those microphones are still in wide use today. Quite expensive, but a beautiful piece of equipment.

BLUE has a reissue of the CMV3 available for about 5 grand:

http://www.bluemic.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Products&file=index&prod_id=12

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    AllHipHop.com: What was it like to record in that room?

Will.I.Am: It was mad eerie. You don't understand how big this facility is. They gotta room as big as a basketball court- that's just filled with organ pipes and one organ. It's bigger than any basket ball gym. It's just got organ pipes and microphones in it. This facility is huge. A couple months ago and Fergie was singin' on the mic and I said, "What kind of mic is that?" The guy's like "This mic was made specifically for Hitler."[/b]

allhiphop.com: so why did you decide on "my humps" as single?

will.i.am: well it was trent lott's favorite on the album.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

will.i.am: "That song was made specifically for Hitler."[/b]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i dont know why i laughed so much at that but i did haha

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

i dont know why i laughed so much at that but i did haha