sp1200 software emu?

ootoot 38 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
are there any software emulators for the emu sp1200? or a filter i could run samples through and get that crunhy, tinny sp sound?

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    just buy one of these:

if you cant find one, get one of these:

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Yes, but you need to change your avatar first.

IF YOU DO FOR ME I WILL DO FOR YOU

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    HAHA

no doubt. Father MC? What is SS coming to?

• If you have logic try using 'Bitcrusher' (set to 12bit) & maybe a lil' Amplitube... Also the SP12/1200 cut @ 2K.
    EQ away 2k (a bit, experiment) with a narrow 'Q'

• you have to ask p. collins.

• THERE IS ONE MADE BY EMU ITSELF,I THINK I SEEN IT IN A ISSUE OF REMIX,I CLEARLY SPECIFIES THE FEATURE LIKE THE SP1200

• ootoot 38 Posts
    word, looks like emu was aquired by creative labs. i have to bounce, but a brief google turns up some german pages talking about a software emulator by creative labs but i couldnt lock down an actual name of the software in question.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Yes, Hyperprism 'Sonic Decimator' is exactly what you are looking for.

Can sound nearly identical to the SP1200 and grittier, you can dial in the bit depth and resolution of the sound to your liking.

Works as a plug-in to SoundForge Wavelab or similar sound editing programs.

• My personal vote for getting it closest is the good old NI Kontakt. Just downsample to the SP rate (12-bit length, 22khz) slow it down a bit for some aliasing to occur.... and voila... instant SP sound.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    i thought you were back to the mpc after getting the NI stuff???
    dood you turn shit around like no other.
    no moss growing on you.

• you cannot make a computer sound like the SP1200.Only thing that sounds like an SP is THE SP.I hear people say this nonsense all the time.GET A SP if you want that sound or the rackmount one in the pic a couple post above.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There is one in the works that is dropping any day now. If it does I will post a link.

• ootoot 38 Posts
    cant make a pc sound like an sp? dont you know ducds is playing neo geo games on their psp's?

come on now...if it natively ran software, you can emulate that shit on a pc. dont get all purist on me. i just want the tin, man...the tin...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I never trust those carbon copy computer programs. They never really sound like the actual gear. Heres your solution...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• cant make a pc sound like an sp? dont you know ducds is playing neo geo games on their psp's?

come on now...if it natively ran software, you can emulate that shit on a pc. dont get all purist on me. i just want the tin, man...the tin...
    The sound on the SP comes from the DAC chip not software.

• ootoot 38 Posts
    The sound on the SP comes from the DAC chip not software.

same thing, bloot. it's still running an os. the whole point of emulation is replicating hardware within software. thus, nes emulators, mame emulation, PDP-1

• The sound on the SP comes from the DAC chip not software.

same thing, bloot. it's still running an os. the whole point of emulation is replicating hardware within software. thus, nes emulators, mame emulation, PDP-1
    what the hell is a bloot....if you really wanna believe that the SP can be duplicated go ahead and get the software and while your at it continue to keep it real and sample some mp3s..you just don't get it

• chasechase 767 Posts
    if they can replicate all that Universal Audio vintage gear, Im sure they could do a sp1200 if they really wanted to... its just matching sonic characteristics, they sequencer would be pretty easy to emulate I would think...

BTW anyone used one of the UA cards? I heard they take up MEGA cpu, even on a G5

• ootoot 38 Posts
    we're not even talking analogue to digital emulation here like a moog or some shit. the sp was a machine. anyone thinking it's impossible to emulate just aint knowing, sorry.

• The secret also lies behind the SSM-chips which were also used in the EMAX I, PHOPHET VS, 2000, etc.

These machines go for GOOD loot nowadays and one of the best reasons is: It's not possible to recreate the DAC and the SSMs.
    Get over it.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    The secret also lies behind the SSM-chips which were also used in the EMAX I, PHOPHET VS, 2000, etc.

These machines go for GOOD loot nowadays and one of the best reasons is: It's not possible to recreate the DAC and the SSMs.
    Get over it.

I payed around 200 EUROs for my EMAX I HD KB, so it isn't that expensive. And yes, you can emulate DACs and SSMs, perhaps not 100%, but I think it is possible to a level where you can't hear a difference, it depends on the processing power and the dsp algorithms. You can also try it with a bitcrusher and and a non-linear eq.

• So yo gon' need a super-cpu to emulate what? a SP?
    Using super DSP-power to emulate something you can buy for less than 200 bones?
    The only use I could ever imagine from this crap is (if it every is possible to emulate it close enough) infinite sampletime....
    I'd still rather use 2 Emaxes (I also got an EMAX (Rack))

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah whatever....

nonetheless,

without further adieu......

SP1200 VST BITCHES!!

Welcome to the 21st century.
    Get over the 80's

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    SP1200 VST BITCHES!!

Welcome to the 21st century.
    Get over the 80's

that vst is a giant piece of turd. you'd be better off using this to get a "sp1200" sound: