How Do You Organize Your MP3 Collection

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
im getting an external HD for the holidays, and am definately going to sit down and organize all of these fucking mp3s/wavs on my computer/cd-rs. with Record Day???, and **** *****??, and ripping vinyl to the computer, how are you organizing your shit?

Comments

• im getting an external HD for the holidays, and am definately going to sit down and organize all of these fucking mp3s/wavs on my computer/cd-rs. with Record Day???, and the Real Headz?? section, how are you organizing your shit?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I feel you bro with the barrage of mp3`s from ss and blogs i thought i would go insane i`ve burned like 40 cd`s of files but have found gems so it is worth it.

I`ve started dorting and also plan on giving it a big push for the holidays

My technique
    1-separate albums from mp3 tracks
    2- Create folders per genre (funk,soul,disco,boogie,hiphop,jazz,bossa,latin,..
    3-Give every song a quick listen and place them in said folders (like 8 sec type)
    4-Check every folder as a playlist and filter
    4A-Delete the crap
    4B-Place shit in strickly sample with timer notes (2:08min)
    4C-Keep the gold

Thats that its just like records you need to sort to have easy access and this forces you to listen to em. Most important get rid of crap, there are so many files you need only dopeness dont hang on to shit that is ok

For albums i guess by artist and genre maybe i would even filter tracks for certain albums just to keep good cuts

Peace

• itunes. if the copy files to itunes music folder option it on and everything is properly tagged, it will move everything in folders for you... presto organization, then i pick stuff to put on the external .... can't be bothered to organize by genre, but that's just me. i might if i had more loose tracks.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    itunes. if the copy files to itunes music folder option it on and everything is properly tagged, it will move everything in folders for you... presto organization, then i pick stuff to put on the external .... can't be bothered to organize by genre, but that's just me. i might if i had more loose tracks.

WORST IDEA EVER.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    itunes. if the copy files to itunes music folder option it on and everything is properly tagged, it will move everything in folders for you... presto organization, then i pick stuff to put on the external .... can't be bothered to organize by genre, but that's just me. i might if i had more loose tracks.

Co-sign. I am hoping that iTunes doesn't come back to bite me, what with their unique way of tagging mp3s. Because at this point, I am setting myself up for using this program from years to come, getting really meticulous not only about getting track listing and titles straight but also logging the album art. I am planning to get a big external hard drive very soon as sort of my 'master' mp3 library.

• Here's a sample filetree breakdown:

music
    ****Genre A
    *******Artists
    ***********Artist A...
    **************Album A...
    *******Compilations
    ***********Comp A...
    *******45s
    *******Various tracks (single mp3s w/o albums)

my genres:

80s
    Afrofunk/Afrobeat
    Brazilian Funk/Bossa Nova
    Club Hits
    Hiphop
    Jazz
    Jazz-Funk (organ, european, soul-jazz)
    Latin Funk
    Misc
    OSTs
    Rare Groove (post 1975 funk, funky non-funk)
    Raw Funk (1966-1975 sound)
    Reggae
    Salsa
    Soul

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    im getting an external HD for the holidays, and am definately going to sit down and organize all of these fucking mp3s/wavs on my computer/cd-rs. with Record Day???, and **** *****??, and ripping vinyl to the computer, how are you organizing your shit?

May be prudent to get some sort of universal tag editor for both ID3v1 and ID3v2 - have been sorting in folders for either full albums or single tracks - once a folder hits 4.7 gigs, it's time to archive on a DVD-R...

• itunes. if the copy files to itunes music folder option it on and everything is properly tagged, it will move everything in folders for you... presto organization, then i pick stuff to put on the external .... can't be bothered to organize by genre, but that's just me. i might if i had more loose tracks.

WORST IDEA EVER.

work's pretty awesome for me.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

Plus if you burn data CD's w/ ID3 tags then your homies w/ iTunes will have the info too. I'm real with organizing the mP3's. Backing up to the portable HD is the supreme idea.

• mp3s?

whats that

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

WORST IDEA EVER.

so you like it when you have one album by ONE artist and ITunes separates it into 5 different folders due to the guest artists? irritating.

WORST IDEA EVER.

so you like it when you have one album by ONE artist and ITunes separates it into 5 different folders due to the guest artists? irritating.

an easy solution to that problem is to put the guest artists in the title. another solution is to call it a compilation, but that seems silly to me. just think a little! easily solvable issue.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

What is this all about?!?!

• What is this all about?!?!

what do you mean?

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

What is this all about?!?!

what do you mean?

What is it a picture of?

• it's me superimposed (poorly) over a picture of some friends at work.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    AWESOME.

The demographics of the coworkers suggests that you work at a post-production studio, a graphic design studio, or an innanet-involved business.

My avatar says that I try hard not to pee on the carpet.

Welcome to SOULSTRUT.

LATERZ.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    itunes - but I don't let it manage my music. I hate its evil file copying/organization ways. So I keep all my MP3s on an external media drive, and let iTunes handle the whopper XML file that holds all the data.

I'm trying to rate every song I listen to, and then use that (eventually) as a system to get rid of crap/keep essential music in my life. When you've got 100+ gigs of mp3s, its worth putting a bit of time in to rate stuff...