New Scratch Mag Re: Queen B*tch

ChequeDaEditChequeDaEdit 135 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Yo O-Dub,In the Lil Kim article in this month's Scratch you choose not reveal the sample for Queen B*tch, my question to you is have you been approached by any artist or labels for blowing up an uncleared sample?Second question, have you heard the original track sampled for Queen B*tch by that hip pianist? (Dumb question I know given you article implies you may have heard it) I was shocked when I came across that sample myself about 2 years while mining my pops rekkids, I was impress that the producer found that short sample so deep in that track.

Comments

• chasechase 767 Posts
    probably didn't mention it because everyone knows it...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    probably didn't mention it because everyone knows it...

What!?

My man is unearthing straight gemz, kid! Heavy excavation!

• my question to you is have you been approached by any artist or labels for blowing up an uncleared sample?

I heard that's why Jean Grae broke up with him.

• my question to you is have you been approached by any artist or labels for blowing up an uncleared sample?

I heard that's why Jean Grae broke up with him.

I knew there was a reason why Ol*ver hadn't posted in the "engagementstrut" thread yet.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have a question.

"Hey O-Dub!" threads: good look or bad?

• I have a question.

"Hey O-Dub!" threads: GREAT[/b] look!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have a question.

"Hey O-Dub!" threads: good look or bad?

I'm saying, some of this is meant to PMed.

The game is to be sold, not told.

But in regards to "Queen Bitch" - the sample credit for that song was not listed in the liner notes. As general policy, my column doesn't discuss sample usage if the albums themselves don't have that info listed, even if everyone knows what the sample is anyways.

In short: we're not trying to get anyone in trouble. For that reason, the column I write doesn't really use indie albums since almost none of those clear samples.

Yo O-Dub,

In the Lil Kim article in this month's Scratch you choose not reveal the sample for Queen B*tch, my question to you is have you been approached by any artist or labels for blowing up an uncleared sample?

Second question, have you heard the original track sampled for Queen B*tch by that hip pianist? (Dumb question I know given you article implies you may have heard it) I was shocked when I came across that sample myself about 2 years while mining my pops rekkids, I was impress that the producer found that short sample so deep in that track.

And no, no one's ever stepped to me on something like that since, as I just noted, in the Scratch column, I don't write about uncleared samples.

For real, I always thought Scratch should have named the column "All Samples Cleared" instead of "Liner Notes" but hey, it's all good by me.

• Thanks for the response.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    In short: we're not trying to get anyone in trouble. For that reason, the column I write doesn't really use indie albums since almost none of those clear samples.

Forgive me for having never read the mag, but what is the theme of your column O?

Forgive me for having never read the mag, but what is the theme of your column O?

Pick up an issue, cheapo!

Just kidding. I usually discuss what samples get used in a current rap album to get a sense of where producers get their ideas from. It's way geeky, some for real BUT I personally learn a lot from it and it's really interesting how wide and far folks will go for their samples...not in terms of obscurity but in terms of sounds. Like, De La's last album has a ton of prog rock samples on it; go figure.