Effects and Filters for the MPC 2000?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
So yeah...I've been rocking a MPC 2000 with no effects and filters for a while now and I want to know what you dudes would recomend. I really have no clue in terms of what direction to go in (something that AKAI actually makes or a third party piece of equipment? Can I install something into the MPC?)Spending Range: Down the middle (nothing too expensive/nothing to cheap where I'll want to buy something else in a year)PeaceDavid Blaine.

Comments

• slushslush 691 Posts
    there is an effects board (eb16) that can be installed into the mpc. i have it, its nice. The 2000 doesnt have any hi-pass filtering on its own which is kinda lame... so the eb16 is good for that. That said its not the most powerful effects processer ever. Im a big delay nut, and all theres only a few echoes and shit. not really that next level.

you might be better off purchasing a combination of the 8-output expansion along with a hardware effects board such as a sherman filterbank, an eq board, and a few delay pedals. That can be kind of exspensive though... and where PC's lack in synthesizig capabilities they more than make up in effect territory. I have my MPC sent to Reaktor for some really crazy effects. There are many software options out there for this.

the short answer is get the 8 outputs, then then decided whether you are more comfortable with hardware or sofware for effects.

• I have my MPC sent to Reaktor for some really crazy effects

huh? please explain.

• MFC 42 analogue filter board:

more info here

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    MFC 42 analogue filter board:

more info here

MFC 42 works. I bought two from Guitar Center brand new for $99 when they decided not to carry them anymore.

• there is an effects board (eb16) that can be installed into the mpc. i have it, its nice. The 2000 doesnt have any hi-pass filtering on its own which is kinda lame... so the eb16 is good for that. That said its not the most powerful effects processer ever. Im a big delay nut, and all theres only a few echoes and shit. not really that next level.

Yupp, its crap.

you might be better off purchasing a combination of the 8-output expansion along with a hardware effects board such as a sherman filterbank, an eq board, and a few delay pedals. That can be kind of exspensive though...

Yea you'd def. need the 8 outs and a mixer! I'd screw the other shit though. If this is dudes first effectjoint he should be getting that is similar to real professional units but doesnt execute his wallet just so he can have that million-$-reverb

the short answer is get the 8 outputs, then then decided whether you are more comfortable with hardware or sofware for effects.

Best thing to do. You could also get a 8 in/out soundcard and hookup the outs of your mp to that and do all effects on the pc.... but to me this isnt really a comfortable way of doing it..

I'd suggest an Ensoniq DP/4

This baby here is a 4 channel effect machine that makes it possible to filter/effect 4 mono channels at the same time. It's been around studios for years and even the delays and reverbs are said to be almost as good as lexicons. The 4 inputs can be used 4xmono, 2xmono+1xstereo, and you can route from one effect into the next or use all processing for a real loooooooong delay or other ill plugs.

Some ppl might have heard about the ill effects in the ASR-10/EPS-16/Etc..
    This is practicly the same effects with more flexibility and more outs.

These usualy go mad cheap on ebay (300-500 bucks).
    This is the most bang youll get for low ching-ching .noayo.

You can read some reviews here.

You should read up about it because some People say the editing of the effects is a bit too complicated. Once you gotten past the first problems the learning curve is amazing... if you decide to go the way of the dp dont be fooled to buy a dp/4+, they have new algoritms which aint as good as the reeaaall schiiittt, atleast thats what Ive heard

Perfect solution if you already have a mixer for your MP where you can use the sends and perhaps got 4 more mono channels left for return (that way you can control the volume of the return & eq /mix it properly with the other channels)

Before you get into all this though, you should perhaps ask yourself if you've ever even touched any "outboard" gear like external compressors/effect units..
    These things are NOT as easy to learn as the easy interface of the MPs.

To cut it short: If all you want is a little delay or reverb perhaps the eb16-board for the 2k is the best solution for you. To me it sounds pretty ass. But to be honest, I've used a 2k xl for about 3 to 4 years or something and I've discovered the Sound is wack as hell if you have a proper unit to compare (asr/3000). So if you're happy with the way your 2k sounds you'll probably be just perfect with that effect board. Its just not really alot that thing can do and the reverbs are .
    If you stilllike the idea of the dp/4 after some research, you should check out local guitar centers, adds from studios that get rid of older gear, newspaper adds. So you could perhaps have someone demonstrate to you how powerfull these things are.

PM if you got more questions.
    pz.daily