EVER BUY A REISSUE BY ACCIDENT?

2»

Comments

• TONY AIKEN AND FUTURE 2000 "Unity" LP -- found at a great midwest record shop for $6 and had me feeling good until I got it home to find out that someone did an exact reissue (paste on slicks and all). If you look really close, you can see some computer pixilation.

I bought a reissue of this over the weekend too. Same price, too. Fortunately I was hip to the reissue situation. These guys will feign ignorance.

me: "yeah those reissues are getting sneaky."
    clerk: "you think? I can't tell."
    me: "uhm, it's a reissue, seriously."
    clerk: (shrug)

I can tell by the texture of the paper and the way the adhesive sticks. It's obviously a stick-on and not a paste-on (paste between a cardboard sleeve and the rear). But it is damn close. I think by the same people as the kashmere stage band reissues.

Soon we're going to have to get discovery channel in here with forensic files.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

...so you wont hafta pay $50 for an original with some girl's name written across it

ha, my theory is their brothers were DJs with klepto tendencies.

• The worst is when you think "Oh, this can't be a reissue" because it's priced so high - only to find out it is! Definition of "not a good look."

Amoeba in Berkeley has the Gary Wilson reish on the wall for a bill. thank god the cover is different.

Haha! Me, about 6 months ago:

me: "yo, there's a Gary Wilson with a red cover?"

friend: "nah, that's a later issue, worth maybe $30 tops."

me: "pfffft. typical"

It's crazy that that reish has been getting 30-50 bucks lately.

I knew there had to be a catch with that Gary Wilson. Everytime I go in there I check to see if it's still up there. It's been a minute. Sometimes I think it's like a roomful of retarded monkeys doing the pricing over there. They price the original of Les DeMerle Transfusion at $1 and a used reissue of the same record at $6.

Disclaimer: If any Amoeba Berkeley employees are reading this right now you are exempt from the retarded monkeys comment.

• I have good memories of Amoeba in Berkeley back in 89-90.

I hate not knowing whether something is a re-ish or not. Fortunately my Moms had a nice selection that I inherited and I use them to cross reference, sleaves styles, printing and glue, etc.

I think I might of bought a Chick Corea Light as a Feather Re-ish. It was dollar bin but still.

• Unless the sound or the cover reproduction is really shitty, who cares whether it's a reissue or not?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    graet collectros

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Unless the sound or the cover reproduction is really shitty, who cares whether it's a reissue or not?

• Unless the sound or the cover reproduction is really shitty, who cares whether it's a reissue or not?

Well, there's the whole issue of overpaying. But more importantly, how many reissues do you see where the sound or the cover aren't really shitty?

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    Andy Bey "Experience And Judgement" on Atlantic. Looks like an original press. But the price was ok and the sound quality is alright so I won't complain...

• Lew Kirton lp on lston, they look almost indentical to the original

/leo

Well, there's the whole issue of overpaying. But more importantly, how many reissues do you see where the sound or the cover aren't really shitty?

Several, from Sundazed, Ace, Numero Group, Fuel 2000 on down the road. Not all companies botch it up like Soul Jazz or Collectables. Hell, even the Scorpio LP repressings I have are pretty good. ***HE SEZ WHILE DUCKING***

Don't get me wrong, I love snatching up the OG as well as anybody here. But I can remember a time when that Joe Quarterman album DIDN'T turn up in ANY form - you were lucky to get the 45 of "I Got So Much Trouble In My Mind."

So I'm not gonna get all hincty just cause its not on the original 1972 vinyl.

That I was too young to buy.