45 vs. one-tracker LP

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I've got a 45 and the LP for Faze-O "Riding High".Not really something I'd play out, so I'm leaning towards keeping the LP. Both are in decent shape and I like the cover art for the LP, but 45's are smaller.(*sigh* the things that keep me up at night)FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1133191058mordecai">

45 vs. one-tracker LP[/b]45one-tracker LPYou are a poptart, send both to ******* ********.INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    If the LP is a straight one-tracker, I usually go for the 45. There's at least one other good track on that Faze-O, so keep the LP.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Keep the 45.

This is exactly why I do not collect LPs. I actually have a bunch that I am probably going to just burn the one track and sell. And then buy more 45s.

It has to be an amazing 1 track for me to keep the LP.

• 45 in almost all cases... except the Faze-O track. Album version has the intro, 45 starts "on the one"

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    the 7" format sucks! storing 45s issues, no covers, no back spine titles, hard to flip through, (mostly) only two short verison songs, mostly bad quality vinyl, no big labels, looking bad on turntables, can't spin with, etc etc

If I can buy the LP for the same money, why even care about 45s? 45s are smaller, but for DJs, 45s are just as uncomfortable to carry around as LPs.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Keep both, so when you are grey and old you can listen to the LP and stare at the cover.

BTW, who's the oldest DJ the world has known?

• 45s are just as uncomfortable to carry around as LPs.

What do you mean?

I'd rather carry 50 killer 45s then 50 onetrack LPs..

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    45 in almost all cases... except the Faze-O track. Album version has the intro, 45 starts "on the one"
    thanks I hadn't played them back-to-back...I'll check that.

• Options
    the 7" format sucks! storing 45s issues, no covers, no back spine titles, hard to flip through, (mostly) only two short verison songs, mostly bad quality vinyl, no big labels, looking bad on turntables, can't spin with, etc etc

If I can buy the LP for the same money, why even care about 45s? 45s are smaller, but for DJs, 45s are just as uncomfortable to carry around as LPs.

Lil' dude remarks.

K in Canada.

• the 7" format sucks! storing 45s issues, no covers, no back spine titles, hard to flip through, (mostly) only two short verison songs, mostly bad quality vinyl, no big labels, looking bad on turntables, can't spin with, etc etc

Lil' dude remarks.

K in Canada.

replies.

• put the needle on the lp last track side one and reassess.

also, the 45 is an edit, i'd go for the full length version, the 45 is too short.

i sold some of my 1-trackers and went for the 45 edit option, and now i regret it.

the main reason i always went for a 45 was because the cut was louder for playing out, now i'd keep both if i was playing out.

-P

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    How about 45 rpm 4 song EPs? - I had my eye on a Gerson King Combo 45 recently that had a bunch of good songs on it, but then I wondered if they were all edited versions.

• If I can buy the LP for the same money, why even care about 45s?

That way, if it's the one good song by an artist you don't particularly like, you don't have to have an entire album lying around.

Barry White's "Your Sweetness Is My Weakness" is a fave song of mine, but I'd hate to have to buy a whole elpee of that guy (I am not a fan), so THANK GOD FOR 45's.

• Keep the 45.

Unless I need the LP for info, I'd trade it for more damn funky 45s.

• looking bad on turntables

does anybody really care about this? "does this 45 make my turntable look fat?" WTF?

45s are smaller, bu 45s are just as uncomfortable to carry around as LPs.

huh? carrying a hundred LPs or a hundred 45s? Especially having to travel, planes, trains..I think I will take that little box with me instead of a 50 lb cube...WTF?

• FILE UNDER "MOST CREATIVE REASON TO HATE ON 45s":

looking bad on turntables

FILE UNDER "NOT A DJ":

45s are smaller, but for DJs, 45s are just as uncomfortable to carry around as LPs.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Yes the 7" format is such an annoyance.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, I will anal hate on 45s: they are too thin and change the optimum Vertical Tracking Angle for a given set-up

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

This is ridiculous. I assume that by "mostly bad quality vinyl" you are talking about styrene, because vinyl 45s actually have higher audio fidelity than LPs. And what about the fact that there's like 10 times more black music on 45 than on albums?

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Wasn't "Riding High" released on a 12?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I don't buy one-tracker LPs, unless they're free or less than $2.99. 45s... I can do all day.

I like LPs more than 45s though. The covers just add to the music experience for me.

• I don't buy one-tracker LPs

And how do you know it's a one-tracker unless you've heard it?

Do all the stores you shop at have customer turntables?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I don't buy one-tracker LPs

And how do you know it's a one-tracker unless you've heard it?

Do all the stores you shop at have customer turntables?

Why, yes. Well, if they don't, they allow me to use my portable, except for that bloody ghey store in Dearborn, MI called... damn, I forget the name. Fuck them though. But yes, I shoot for quality not quantity. I don't get caught up in internet hype that tells me to drop $50 on a record with one cool break.

I'll buy a one-tracker for cheap. Most of them go for cheap anyway. Yep, I'm not a fan of The Byrds, but I have Ballad of Easy Rider for the "Fido." I cop it for $1 too.

My record collection isn't that big either. No sir/ma'am.

I'd rather cop a 12" single over a 45 any day of the week.

EDIT: My inner-eager beaver might catch me paying $8 for a Beatnuts loop on a kids record or something of the sort. I always end up finding it later for a little of nothing though. That's it.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    45's are dope, ya'll be trippin.
    Fazeo 45 version is good to play out since it cuts straight to the guts of the track, not that great for home listening though.
    But I only play 16" transcription records now

• the 7" format sucks! storing 45s issues, no covers, no back spine titles, hard to flip through, (mostly) only two short verison songs, mostly bad quality vinyl, no big labels, looking bad on turntables, can't spin with, etc etc

gotta disagree with you here.
    in addition to what everyone else said, 45s can be stacked horizontally and are way lighter and less susceptible to warp .

although if all your 45s have 'verizon' songs that might be where you're problem is

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    45s are also quicker to crack, in my experience. Grrrr...

• Wasn't "Riding High" released on a 12?

don't think it was, its been reissued on a 12 but og is 7 or lp. cue out of focus pic of og 12 flying in now due to land anytime...