Burt Bacharach -- He's Dope Right???

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I always thought he had that piano hotel lobby cheeze down pat. Word?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    definitely dope.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Look of Love
    Walk On By
    I Say a Little Prayer
    Baby, It's You
    What the World Needs Now

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    very dope

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    give it up for hal davis bird call

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Well, his semi-political album with dr. dre sucked a big dick, but beyond that I have no comment.

• Well, his semi-political album with dr. dre sucked a big dick

I started to say! I heard that album too, and thought it was as weak as water! If this is the best he can do in the 2000's, he may as well stick to producing love songs on Ron Isley.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    A version of "Do You Know the Way To San Jose" playing over a discount department store radio can really make buying a dishrack good times.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I always thought he had that piano hotel lobby cheeze down pat. Word?

Dont sleep

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The Look of Love
    Walk On By
    I Say a Little Prayer
    Baby, It's You
    What the World Needs Now

Also:

Blue On Blue
    Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa
    Always Something There To Remind Me

• The recordings are also killing it, the original versions. With pretty large instrumentation but with a small sound. A House is not a Home is a favorite of mine.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "lonliness remembers what happiness forgets" is my fav song by him... i really feel like Wes Anderson needs to use it in his next soundtrack...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    One thing that's brilliant about Burt B is how his compositions often include complex musical stuff, yet sound deceptively simple. I bugged out when i started counting the beats in the chorus to Say a little prayer. 11/8, right?

• definitely dope.

saw dude jogging by my business the day he was set to perform. he had the bad ass, shiny running suit in full effect. i yelled "hey burt!" and he responded with a pleasant "hello" and a gracious wave.....walk on bye, duh duh duh du duh

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    BB is the best no doubt! Together with Hal David, well, it doesn't get much better than that!

One of my faves is Jimmy Radcliffe's - Long After Tonight.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    So, I'm checking the back of my Lyn Collins LP to see who wrote "Reach Out For Me" because that's the only song I've been listening to all day and I'll be damned if it isn't Burt Bacharach!!! Props due.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The recordings are also killing it, the original versions. With pretty large instrumentation but with a small sound. A House is not a Home is a favorite of mine.

Are you talking about his records? Most of his originals were first recorded by Dionne Warwick, or other singers. His own records were an after thought to see if he could cash in on his fame as a songwriter.

Hal David and Burt Bacharach are not my favorite 60s NYC writing duo, but they did produce some great songs.

Goffin King might be my #1, also on the top of the list:
    Leiber Stoller
    Greenwich Barry
    Anyone and Spector
    Doc Pomus

I'd rate all of the above ahead of BB, for the kind of music I like most. I'd rate BB above Neil Diamond and Don Kirshner.

Aretha Franklin singing Say A Little Prayer is beyond great.

Dan

• Are you talking about his records? Most of his originals were first recorded by Dionne Warwick, or other singers. His own records were an after thought to see if he could cash in on his fame as a songwriter.

Yes, by the original recordings I mean the Dionne Warrick recordings. I don't know Bacharachs own records. I also don't know whether Bacharach was involved in the actual recordings and if he did those arrangements himself, but the consistency in sound and style suggests he did. Well, he wrote with her voice in mind anyway. It is just someting I notice, a particular sound, when I listen to Dionne Warwick or the original soundtracks he did in those days.

I checked a list of hits by Bacharach and I really need to rent The Blob again. How did that sound, Theme From the Blob by The Five Blobs?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

"This house is empty now" is my favorite divorce song, and I'm not even divorced.

• The recordings are also killing it, the original versions. With pretty large instrumentation but with a small sound. A House is not a Home is a favorite of mine.

Are you talking about his records? Most of his originals were first recorded by Dionne Warwick, or other singers. His own records were an after thought to see if he could cash in on his fame as a songwriter.

Hal David and Burt Bacharach are not my favorite 60s NYC writing duo, but they did produce some great songs.

Goffin King might be my #1, also on the top of the list:
    Leiber Stoller
    Greenwich Barry
    Anyone and Spector
    Doc Pomus

I'd rate all of the above ahead of BB, for the kind of music I like most. I'd rate BB above Neil Diamond and Don Kirshner.

Aretha Franklin singing Say A Little Prayer is beyond great.

Dan

BIG cosign on Leiber/Stoller. Genius songwriters, great arrangers/producers as well.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yes, by the original recordings I mean the Dionne Warrick recordings. I don't know Bacharachs own records. I also don't know whether Bacharach was involved in the actual recordings and if he did those arrangements himself, but the consistency in sound and style suggests he did. Well, he wrote with her voice in mind anyway. It is just someting I notice, a particular sound, when I listen to Dionne Warwick or the original soundtracks he did in those days.

I checked a list of hits by Bacharach and I really need to rent The Blob again. How did that sound, Theme From the Blob by The Five Blobs?

Burt wrote that??! That's awesome! It's a great beatnik-y rock and roll number...I think I have it on a Halloween comp somewhere(with my other favorite, the garage-y "Green Slime" by the Green Slime from the japanese monster flick, yes, 'The Green Slime')

Here's a link to some audio
    http://kingtet.com/ram/theblob.ram

• Burt wrote that??! That's awesome! It's a great beatnik-y rock and roll number...I think I have it on a Halloween comp somewhere(with my other favorite, the garage-y "Green Slime" by the Green Slime from the japanese monster flick, yes, 'The Green Slime')

Here's a link to some audio
    http://kingtet.com/ram/theblob.ram

Ha! Thanks. Now I remember. It's a great stupid track. I see it's one of the first things he did. Now I'm all curious... That Green Slime joint, I would like to hear that too!