REPORT FROM BUENA PARK

2»

Comments

• That is a really good question about the early morning record shows. We need an LA record show with a PM start.

Memories of Buena Park:

If I only knew what I know about records now then. Buena in my mind was always better than Pasadena. There was a magic to it. I remember one day I found Leo's Sunship, Dee Felice Trio, Headless Hero's and Ramp all in one day from three different sellers. I was besides myself.

This was 1997 of course. The room was three times the size of the one today. Back at the old Sequoia Club. They used to have 130 tables for a monthly show. Every month sold out!

These were the days when people would show up because they saw an add for the show and just set up with unpicked boxes and just blow records out for $2 each or $1 each. We would call it " fresh blood ". This would happen nearly every month.

I still think it's a cool show but if I was not buying every genre imaginable I would not be that down. I was buying mint mono classical from Bagatelle at 1 in the afternoon for $2 each on Sunday and was totally into it. No one else really cared but I LOVE ME SOME MONO CLASSICAL. That shit is just beautiful.

But seriously... Seedy sellers were reserved for Pasadena... Not Buena. Buena was a place for random folls who had little in the way of expectations in regards to pricing records.

Pasadena is a place for Pencil Thin, Silver Pony Tail Man and other scam artists. I wish we could just leave Orange County to the people who actually want to sell records 3 for $10. It's a riot. I love it. Pasadena is for Hollywood hustlers. Buena is for low key shredders. I still love it there. My favorite part is combing over my raers in the parking lot with guzzo and a twiddle stick post picking. Then I get my focus on for an afternoon garbage dig that always turns up some interesting shit because I am taking the time to actually look at records with a focused high.

I heart Buena. Thanks Steve.

ap

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Grabbing a record out from your box is way way way against the rules. British Mike'll "right fix you up" for that shit out here.

You can only be talking about the dude who hovers around the fleas and incessantly talks shit to everyone around him. I ran into dude with my man Asaf when I was in NYC a few months back, and I thought that shit was comedy. I definitley let dude muscle into some boxes ahead of me that I normally wouldn't have, so I guess his strategy works, at least on outsiders. I think I may have seen you there JP (with R_D perhaps?) but I was on some still drunk, no sleep, showed up an hour before the flea market opened shit, so I kept to myself.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    But seriously... Seedy sellers were reserved for Pasadena... Not Buena. Buena was a place for random folls who had little in the way of expectations in regards to pricing records.

Pasadena is a place for Pencil Thin, Silver Pony Tail Man and other scam artists. I wish we could just leave Orange County to the people who actually want to sell records 3 for $10. It's a riot. I love it. Pasadena is for Hollywood hustlers. Buena is for low key shredders. I still love it there. My favorite part is combing over my raers in the parking lot with guzzo and a twiddle stick post picking. Then I get my focus on for an afternoon garbage dig that always turns up some interesting shit because I am taking the time to actually look at records with a focused high.

ap

Sayin I love Buena Park. I started heading out to shows there back in '99. Back then I was working for Big B's in Las Vegas and we'd come down with 3000 LP's for a $1 each. Dudes were pulling out shit like Perfect Circle and getting geeked (I didn't know shit back then, I just wanted LP's with big afro's on the cover). I remember DJ Numark coming through and just talking to me hipping me to shit in the crates we were selling. Silver ponytail was not there pencil thin was hustling in Hollywood. Shit was nice.

no more of that nostalgia shit lets get back on track...

POST YOUR FINDS BATCHES!

• POST FINDS? dude when i am talking about MONO classical I am talking about shit like this in MINT condition.

Talk about a boner. give me a mint condition record of a trio or quartet that is 50 years old and you will see my walking across buena with pointy trousers.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    THASS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. PAINTED FLOWER NEW ASGE SHIT BY OLD WOMEN CIRCA '82

THE RILL SCHITT!!!!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    THASS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. PAINTED FLOWER NEW ASGE SHIT BY OLD WOMEN CIRCA '82

THE RILL SCHITT!!!!!!

terd bergulars of the world, unite

• Anne T. McBride

• talk about crisp corners and shit.

• Post deleted by anthonypearson

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    does your 1984 moder soul new age Dallas Smith Sylvia St. James have crisp corners?

PLAY IT FOR THE CHILDRENS

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Living Presence is the move.

• oh hell yes bitch...

sylvia st james new age jawns village music 99 cents kneegrow and no living presence for me. mono only. holler back rybar playa hatterz.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    We need an LA record show with a PM start.

now those i could wake up for. ap - get the mahfuggin' ball rollin' puhlease

Memories of Buena Park:

If I only knew what I know about records now then. Buena in my mind was always better than Pasadena. There was a magic to it. I remember one day I found Leo's Sunship, Dee Felice Trio, Headless Hero's and Ramp all in one day from three different sellers. I was besides myself.

This was 1997 of course. The room was three times the size of the one today. Back at the old Sequoia Club. They used to have 130 tables for a monthly show. Every month sold out!

These were the days when people would show up because they saw an add for the show and just set up with unpicked boxes and just blow records out for $2 each or $1 each. We would call it " fresh blood ". This would happen nearly every month.

I still think it's a cool show but if I was not buying every genre imaginable I would not be that down. I was buying mint mono classical from Bagatelle at 1 in the afternoon for $2 each on Sunday and was totally into it. No one else really cared but I LOVE ME SOME MONO CLASSICAL. That shit is just beautiful.

ap

• Grabbing a record out from your box is way way way against the rules. British Mike'll "right fix you up" for that shit out here.

You can only be talking about the dude who hovers around the fleas and incessantly talks shit to everyone around him. I ran into dude with my man Asaf when I was in NYC a few months back, and I thought that shit was comedy. I definitley let dude muscle into some boxes ahead of me that I normally wouldn't have, so I guess his strategy works, at least on outsiders. I think I may have seen you there JP (with R_D perhaps?) but I was on some still drunk, no sleep, showed up an hour before the flea market opened shit, so I kept to myself.

That's the dude! Good guy, real character though.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, Buena Park was real dope in the mid/late 90's, when it was in the big room at the Sequoia. You could even get there really late & find stuff. Back then $100 would buy a buttload or raer.

• Ahh the good old days.. walking in the parking lot doors with the dealers before it "opened". PCC has been good to me over the years though.. I can't complain. PLus I get to go to High Life Burger after going to PCC.