REPORT FROM BUENA PARK

anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
It seems that pencil thin was busted for selling bootlegs of Dyson's Faces for $80 and trying to pass them off as originals. He sold one to my friend. Not a good look as they say on soulstrut. Brunner cracked down.Otherwise it was just slow as it goes with Guzzo having the best boxes. Bagatelle sold me some blow out at 2PM. I bought a shinkwraped copy of Fleetwood Mac Rumors. I did. I swear. I paid $2.There was also some guy with a huge crystal medallion the size of a saucer. It was facemelt.the meaning of rare closes tomorrow.discuss.ap

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    pencil thin = the program???

• sorry it took me a moment to get back to you.

i had to pull my head out of my asshole.

yes... you got it. pencil thin moustache is the program.

get it going y'all.

I NEED RESULTS UNLIMITED GODDAMIT.

POST POST POST

did they sick the dogs on him?

• no actually brunner had a word with him but he said he did not know they were bootlegs and that he had bought them at buena 10 years ago.

he charged dude $80. dude asked for his money back and he gave him " credit ".

that means he can go back to the guys table every month for the next 6 months and buy a banged eddie henderson record for $15 and listen to stories about how guy is friends with lamont dozier.

COME ON YOU GUYS LETS GET THIS THREAD GOING DAMNIT!

wow, yer making me miss OC...

NOT!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    "buena" means good. good park.

"buena" means good. good park.

how do you say "poo poo park" in espanol?

• U CANT KNOCK THE HUSTLE BITCH

• no actually brunner had a word with him but he said he did not know they were bootlegs and that he had bought them at buena 10 years ago.

he charged dude $80. dude asked for his money back and he gave him " credit ".

that means he can go back to the guys table every month for the next 6 months and buy a banged eddie henderson record for $15 and listen to stories about how guy is friends with lamont dozier.

COME ON YOU GUYS LETS GET THIS THREAD GOING DAMNIT!

definately with that "I thought it was original I bought it 10 years ago" after he told me moustapha sold it to him.

went back to his table and found impressions lp from 81...he ended up giving me the difference back in cash. doesnt help that the bootleg is almost identical to the og but a lesson well learned not to deal with the painted on moustache program director.

is that the same record thesone got from him a few weeks back?

• oh and for the stuff bought that i didnt almost get suckered for...

modern soul selection was solid
    3 for 10 good as always
    kickin it with ralph m
    steve mintz had nice stuff
    guzzo's table was poppin
    ap finding chops

overall good show could have ended up being a lot worse (no bootleg victim) good to see some familiar faces

• 'bout time someone called him out. I've seen whatnauts & 3 pieces reissues in his store he was trying to pass off as OG.

pencil thin is a jerk, a few pasadena's ago i walked over to his table and this conversation starts:

program: you like madlib? (not even a hello, or hi)
    me: sure, he's alright
    program: i'll introduce you (pulling me by the arm to the parking lot towards said stonesthrow member)
    me:
    program: yo! madlib! (not using his first or last name) this guy likes your music!
    madlib now puts two boxes of records down, just acquired from the program, and walks all the way across the parking lot to us.
    me:hi (shakes hand to be polite)
    me: (speechless, wondering how I got into this situation)

I don't think i said anything to quasimoto, too dumbfounded thinking there are thousands of kids who would love to talk to him/meet him and it was a straight-up burden to me.

BP was fun though. some fool was invading my turf shouting out requests for "Italian Library Records" when the dealer said he never heard of such thing the dude asked for "Turkish Psych Records", meanwhile there were many round discs with amazing US psych music right under his nose. this dude even took a turn for the worse, watching me flip through a crate like he was gonna swoop the next record, needle dropping for hot loops/stabs with his posse's portable (no joke, like 5 deep & 1 portable to share)...

I'm bummed I didn't keep an eye out for Guzzo's table.

• jeff did you check the new age section at village music? your a north bay guru with your record magic wand. sonoma countys got quintessence for dayz. i got daniel kobalka raer. two from the same series i have never had before. sealed annie mcbrides. blad head village music old mill valley hippy dude looked at me like i was koo koo. i bought sealed records that had been there for 20 years. the new age section at village music is 4 times the size of ameoba and 10 to 20 times the size as surplus. logos in santa cruz does not have a new age section. that was sad.

ap

• dude stacks up 80 records to drop neddle on em all and buy 5.

• is that the same record thesone got from him a few weeks back?

YES. NOT A GOOD LOOK.

THES?

HOLLA

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    is that the same record thesone got from him a few weeks back?

YES. NOT A GOOD LOOK.

THES?

HOLLA

yes, as a matter of fact Thes spoke up about the same exact LP after he was sold a bootleg just a few weeks ago. So the whole "I swear I didn't know it was a bootleg" thing is bullshit.

Shit sucks. I don't work very often as a dealer but when I am I pride myself on my honesty, good prices and fair commentary if a potential customer asks "is this good" having other dealers selling fake ass shit and trying to pass it off repeatedly[/b] is really fucked up and makes anyone trying to flip vinyl look like a potential liar.

Word the fuck up to Anthony for helping me both bring my shit in and take it back out to the car at the end of the day. Dude did all that and still played baller status dropping dough and stacking raers. He also saved me from overpaying on a Potter & Tillman (the RILL price czech).

thanks to all who bought rackords from young baller today, Y'all are the reason I am watching an HDTV tonight while smoking on some high grade medicinal.

But really though...

WHO GOTS A SUNFIRE 'S/T" FOR ME?

• rel heaz no the deal on the programz and shit. fuk that. ballez need know introduction to the pencil. dj rodgers in vg condition for dayz and weekz and shit. i been to buena starting 1996. shit was hectic. buying gary chandlr outlooke off of sam for $40 reluctantly and shitz. them were the dayz. know i gotta go around every foll knowmy buziness and shit. fuk. looking to se if ima bout to cop philly cream on tsop and shitz. everyfool expects a free kookie and shit for complementing an ebay auction. step to the snack bar and eat and bran muffin and chill dude. your asking about lyn christoper is not a good look. real headz know bobby punetto is the deal. later dayz freakerz.

ap

• moustapha sold it to him.

This should be all anyone needs to know

don't buy those lesson 3's either

that record that broke the other day? Moustapha.

• that record that broke the other day? Moustapha.

azuquita was slightly warped, right?

• that record that broke the other day? Moustapha.

azuquita was slightly warped, right?

yup. dealings were slightly warped. to say the least. PS, I heard of the philly dramas. bum deal bro.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    some fool was invading my turf shouting out requests for "Italian Library Records" when the dealer said he never heard of such thing the dude asked for "Turkish Psych Records", meanwhile there were many round discs with amazing US psych music right under his nose. this dude even took a turn for the worse, watching me flip through a crate like he was gonna swoop the next record, needle dropping for hot loops/stabs with his posse's portable (no joke, like 5 deep & 1 portable to share)...

LOL

Portrait of a Soulstrut lurker...

• Late Pass.

A months ago the first of those sealed Dyson's Faces showed up in dumbass' both. I broke a rule I made for myself a decade ago on the dusty streets of east melrose that I would not buy anything off that fool unless it was the complete steal, and there has been a few over the years. He wasn't, and I don't think is yet, up on latin stuff. But I digress.

Oh let me interupt myself.... Kevvy Kev Kevbo is a lurker and I can prove it.

So two months ago I purchased said Dyson's Faces with a few other records that I actually did deem steals, including a relatively cheap Follow the Leader by Little Joe. The Dyson's Faces looked borderline in terms of being a reissue, so I asked if I could open it to check it. he refused, so I said alirght, I'll check it when I get home. Then I go over to Sam's who had just pulled up and dude follows me. Now just prior to to that Sunday, say on a Wednesday, there was a bunch of talk on the Strut about the Klute soundtrack. Someone posted it in thier weekday finds with a picture (they find it in a mall if I remember correctly or some shi*). Anyways everyone had passed over it and I pull it; Kevin who's looking over my shoulder and goes "Oh damn, ehh, um, let me get that!" I turn around and look at him like wtf are you talking about and continue to purchase my records. It was 6$. As soon as I walk away
    he's comes up next to me and says, "hey man I really need that record. I'll give you double what you just paid for it" I kind of brush him off but he keeps sweating me because I think HE thinks it's more rare than it is. suspect.

The next month (which was last month) I show up with the now open and confirmed bootleg of Dyson's Faces and take to him.
    "hey Kevin, this is a re-ish"
    "huh?"
    "look man, I know it's usually buyer beware but you wouldn't let me open it and inferred it was real"
    "ummm, I don't think so, but I mean if your going to sample the record then-"
    "No. I want to trade this back to you"
    He reluctantly took it back and I told him that it is ABSOLUTELY A BOOTLEG.
    So then I go over to sam's and here comes Kevin again, looking over my f--ing shoulder again while I flip through a box. He could have flipped through the box next to me which was open but no.
    As soon as I flip to the Whispers record on Dore (Shhhh, with the lips) He flips out again and reaches over my shoulder and grabs the record out of the box before I can even process what it is. I realize what he grabbed as he's lifting it out and though that record isn't really my bag, I have an impulse to turn around and punch him in the face just on the strength. But here's my point, just prior to that sunday, somebody on the Strut was talking about how much they want that Whispers record or it's raer or some shi*. Not a coincidence. It can't be.
    Just thought I'd let yall know.

Kevin if your lurking, and I know you are, get on here and try to defend yourself you chump.

the soulstrut effect in effect. be careful what you floss.

• Grabbing a record out from your box is way way way against the rules. British Mike'll "right fix you up" for that shit out here.

Kevin if your lurking, and I know you are, get on here and try to defend yourself you chump.

and plaese to register as "tha_program???", or "pen(is)cilTHIN"

• im sik of the shady schitt.

• no

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    damn, the programs a fuckstick. he's such a douche though that your fuckstick radar should go off after having 10 seconds of conversation with him.

on another note... i need to get my ass up early and make it back to buena one of these sundays.

why are swaps/shows always so earry? my intuition/personal experience tells me record collectors are mostly stoners n drunks who would prefer to sleep late

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    why are swaps/shows always so earry? my intuition/personal experience tells me record collectors are mostly stoners n drunks who would prefer to sleep late

you're the only one, hommie