Dealers Skipping Records Story/Question

unlasciviousunlascivious 220 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
post deleted due to panties in a bunch.

Comments

• Options
    HOw about talking with him about it and not involving the rest of the world?

K.

• there were no names mentioned and there was no fault implied. the guy has a good reputation and it will remain that way.

i asked the question not to involve others, but to determine the best way to handle the situation.

thank you for your talking suggestion.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    there were no names mentioned and there was no fault implied. the guy has a good reputation and it will remain that way.
    i asked the question not to involve others, but to determine the best way to handle the situation.

Talk to him.

• there were no names mentioned and there was no fault implied. the guy has a good reputation and it will remain that way.

Talk to him.

Yes. The fact of the matter here is you fear confrontation. A respectable seller should take it back UNLESS it was sold under certain conditions; e.g. no returns accepted, sold "as is", etc..

• Talk to him.

• i've left this alone for a few weeks

i think the window of opportunity for you to bring it up to him has passed. its been almost a month already. if you had brought it up a couple of days later than i would think any self respecting record dealer would not object to working something out with you.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    You might want to think about it from a dealer's view.

Many times when a dealer is buying records to sell they buy collections or just large bulks of records at a time. So it's common for a dealer to only check out or grade records visually. He probably never even listend to the record in question and if you can't see the skip by eye then how could he know to begin with? I have never met a dealer who grades all their records by actually listening to them. Cut the guy some slack, talk to him about it and he will more than likely be cool.

In the future if you have a problem with someone on the board, don't air it out for all to see. You may say he has a great rep and you wan't it to stay that way but this thread isn't going to help him out much now will it? Claiming that he is a respected guy on here and then venting how he "may or may not have" fucked you over, is like telling a girl she is pretty cool for an ugly chick.

• also play it with different needles. sometimes it could be the needle too. I know people who have sold records but they sold it and the person says it skips, they bring it back and it plays through fine. they are either using shitty needles or scratch needles to listen to it.

i dunno. put a little weight on it and see if it plays through fine. if it looks good and there are no huge scratches or gouges you can feel with your fingertip then it may be your needle.

• if anybody could decipher who i was referencing, they must be a mindreader. even so, the only defaming comment would have been the dealer's frugality, which i respect from a business point of view, and dislike from a consumer's.

yes, i want to avoid confrontation, but that's not an option. it's difficult to go to this guy who i've met once and say the record skips after it's been a month. i don't want a) him to think i'm dicking him around by having waited so long (for all he knows, i could have caused the damage) and b) to imply that he tried to dupe me somehow.
    i wouldn't expect someone to inspect every record they buy which is why i say no fault assumed.

as always, thank you ss.

• talk to him, just explain that you havent listened to it till now. ive got a massive stack of records i havent had a chance to play yet dating back over a year, and some of them were $. as far as i know, there are others like me and it seems dealers must be familiar with this concept.

• in my humble opinion if it's been a month that's too long and you're SOL. if there are no visible marks I'm wondering why it's skipping so bad...have you tried cleaning it?