pics from my mississippi trip (katrina related)

flatblackplasticflatblackplastic 1,209 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
i had this very long detailed post about my trip but i had to restart my comp and it got lost. i dont have it in me to type it out again so im gonna keep it short.basically it goes like this, you got the beach, highway 90, 2 blocks deep of houses and then railroad tracks. the area from the tracks to the beach is off limits to anyone that doesnt belong there, lives there or has relatives there. national guardsmen and women stand guard at each intersection at the tracks. nice people, my mom made them blueberry muffins. my aunt lives on that side of the tracks and my parents and grandparents live on the other side of the tracks from the beach. one day when i was there i walked over to the beach with my mom, uncle, and cousin. id say 50% of the trees in the area were gone. in fact you could see the beach from my aunts house where there used to be thick, dense trees. most every house was reduced to rubble and in some cases even the rubble was washed away, straight up foundation slabs. ok these pics were taken on my dads digi cam that i had never used before, so theyre not the best quality.this is one of the houses that still stands. part of the debris line that stretched the entire mississippi coast line, some 80 miles.where houses used to be.if you look on the left you can see a ladies glasses next to the flowers this tralier floated from almost a mile away. there were containers everywhere, the kind that go on 18 wheelers. one was full of rotting chicken, my family said it smelled horrible. flies everywhere.

Comments

• This picture is deep. Good shot.

• my cousin is a firefighter there, he gave me about 100 more pics that he took on a cd-r. gonna be awhile before i resize them and upload them. i did upload this one. this house is near a canal where they park boats during storms like these. the boat was a couple blocks away and is 50 feet long.

• jesus...compelling.

• one more round before we let this fade into obscurity. these are all from my cousin except the last one. pretty much my whole time there was spent talking and listening to stories about katrina. i was like a sponge for real. my family commented on the publics view that fema wasnt doing enough or fast enough. they said the day after it hit a chinook helicopter landed and left a crate of food and water, and then someone with a big truck loaded it up and distributed to everyone. everyone had mri food packs. my dad went thru all of most of the ones at my parents and stole all the m&m's out of them. from what i understand somehow the food(burgers, even veggie burgers etc.) cooks by some chemical reaction. i hear theyre pretty good but i cant tell you personally. about twice a day red cross truck runs thru the hoods blowing their horn that sounds like a cop horn. over a pa system they say what theyre serving at the time. one day it was barbq pork sandwiches. pretty sure it was turkey for thanksgiving.

front page of the paper from the day i got there, which was wed. before thanksgiving. what was once white sand beach now looks like this.

the road in this pic is highway 90 which is a 4 lane highway,2/2.

church near the beach.

the army bulldozed this road.

more of those fuckin containers

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Holy crap. Thanks for sharing. Glad your family is ok.