Blue Note leg ends today

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Living in NYC there's a bunch of these cats playing different places all the time, eg just looked in the Onion and saw Lou Donaldson and Freddie Hubbard playing different spots tonight.I always figured they are making gravy later in life, and with a min. $20 cover plus ghey drinks you're looking at a pretty expensive night out.Anyone been? Is it worth it considering I'm no jazz cat, but like the funky braeks? Do they "jam"?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Living in NYC there's a bunch of these cats playing different places all the time, eg just looked in the Onion and saw Lou Donaldson and Freddie Hubbard playing different spots tonight.

I always figured they are making gravy later in life, and with a min. $20 cover plus ghey drinks you're looking at a pretty expensive night out.

Anyone been? Is it worth it considering I'm no jazz cat, but like the funky braeks? Do they "jam"?

i saw lou donaldson a few years ago, and while he sounded great, he was doing straight jazz, no funk.

you gotta understand, the funky breakbeat shit was only a sideline in these guy's careers, so even with the funk revival, dont be too surprised if he plays nothing from the HOT DOG album.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Lou D played at Duke several months ago - a friend who went said he did strictly standards/ballads... maybe one original comp, one of his early hits...

This was with the Duke band I think, so if he has his own band they may do things differently

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I saw Donaldson with Lonnie Smith and they played a nice blend of bop/funk...it was almost 4 years ago now though, so the funk may have cooled off...I'm sure Lonnie was a reason they got down, he likes to bring the funk. Check the sidemen on each gig if you can, you might get an idea from that of what the style will be.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I saw Donaldson with Lonnie Smith and they played a nice blend of bop/funk...it was almost 4 years ago now though, so the funk may have cooled off...I'm sure Lonnie was a reason they got down,

agree 100 % .....just note, that in every Lonnie Smith album, even the ones he put out recently, are funk-flawored......I dare to say he always has been the more James Brown-oriented organist in the bunch

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I wasn't expecting any funky jump up and down business, just some nice head-nodding grooves like Brother Soul. But nothing irks me more than jazz when they don't get in no groove.

• nothing irks me more than jazz when they don't get in no groove.

with all due respect, come on dude. you should probably go actually check one of these shows before you say some shit like that. might get you open a bit.

nothing irks me more than jazz when they don't get in no groove.

with all due respect, come on dude. you should probably go actually check one of these shows before you say some shit like that. might get you open a bit.

Pls... come see my records and ask me what shows I've seen before getting milly-tant on me. Also, when I use double-negatives, it means I'm taking the piss to a certain extent.

I'm so open... and I catch at least one live jazz or funk show a week in NYC -- what about you ??? Of course it ain't usually people like Lou D, and that shit is a whole other topic.

• dude, i'm sure you have a lot more records than me. positive.

but asking if you should go see some legendary jazz artist because you're not sure if they're gonna 'bring the funk' just seems a little forest / trees. if you were joking, sorry. i missed it.

for real though, these shows are almost always incredible, if just for the joy of watching the sheer musicianship of a virtuoso who has honed his craft over 40+ years of playing. some of these dudes have a presence that is humbling in a way that all the sharon joneseses antibalaseseses in the world can't begin to approximate. not to mention just absorbing the history of a spot like the vanguard. i've been going there since i was 8 years old, and that allure never ever goes away. btw, i am at shows at least two or three times a week, but rarely for anything even marginally soulstrut-approved.

i guess all this amounts to is 'yeah you should definitely go.'

dude, i'm sure you have a lot more records than me. positive.

but asking if you should go see some legendary jazz artist because you're not sure if they're gonna 'bring the funk' just seems a little forest / trees. if you were joking, sorry. i missed it.

for real though, these shows are almost always incredible, if just for the joy of watching the sheer musicianship of a virtuoso who has honed his craft over 40+ years of playing. some of these dudes have a presence that is humbling in a way that all the sharon joneseses antibalaseseses in the world can't begin to approximate. not to mention just absorbing the history of a spot like the vanguard. i've been going there since i was 8 years old, and that allure never ever goes away. btw, i am at shows at least two or three times a week, but rarely for anything even marginally soulstrut-approved.

After all this, I've gone and missed it! !@#$ But "Bringing the funk" can be a relative term. I'm not expecting a human dynamo on stage, but just wanted an idea of who would be most happy after the show - a PBS jazz "aficionado" or someone like me who digs grovoes just as much as braeks. I'm a pothead after all.

Double date, S****??

• please, as an avid reader of the NYT style section, you should know i only go on mandates.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    please, as an avid reader of the NYT style section, you should know i only go on mandates.

My whole lifestyle is dictated in drips and drabs by Jennifer 8. Lee.

But seriously, "I hate jazz when it ain't got no goove" = "I don't like jazz, but I like funklite when it is presented to me as 'jazz'"

But seriously, "I hate jazz when it ain't got no goove" = "I don't like jazz, but I like funklite when it is presented to me as 'jazz'"

Bait not taken. But maybe "dollarbincommon" could be changed to "funklite"?