Words From the Genius (RR)

Scratch_n_SniffScratch_n_Sniff 353 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Whats the deal with this album? Is it any good? Is it raer? Does it sound like Wu-Tang? I always thought Liquid Swords was Gza's first LP, but the Wu-Tang Manual knowledged me.

Comments

• i have it on cassette! i don't remember it as being too bad. but there are some "girl, come let me lay you down on my satin sheets" type songs.

• Anybody got an MP3, or a clip or something? Are there any reissues out?

• I just sold a copy of pass the bone, it's a dope ass track w/ the RZA in his playa phase.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

not too rare..I hope, found it in CA....cant go wrong with wu...some wu...

• it's actually a pretty good album. If you listen to it you'll hear alot or lyrics that were reused for later WU Songs. There's one verse that ODB does completely over on that remix he did with E 40. Other members quote lyrics from that album alot. it's some good early production from Easy Moe Bee also who does most the album. The stand out tracks would be:

words from a genius
    phooney as you wanna be
    genius is slammin
    true fresh mc
    feel the pain
    those were the days
    life a drug dealer
    drama...

actually the only song that's "bad" is the single, "come do me" which is r&b flavored and was actually a RZA song originally...

I'm pretty sure the original vinyl is not that common. That one pictured above is the reissue when they added the bonus cut "pass the bone" w/rza.

• Hmmm. Looks like there is reisuse of it going for $40.00 on ebay.

oof

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Did you roll up the blunt?
    The palmetto!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hmmm. Looks like there is reisuse of it going for $40.00 on ebay.

oof

basically, its an album that's all over soulseek - its not that great - I'd rate the grand daddy I.U lp way ahead of it. The lp pictured above is the reisue. The kind of thing you'd buy, put on the shelf & forget about. Kinda like a poor man's big daddy kane.

• Hmmm. Looks like there is reisuse of it going for $40.00 on ebay.

oof

if you wanna save some money, cop that one, it??s the best song from the lp, IMO

• not too rare..I hope, found it in CA....cant go wrong with wu...some wu...

this is the reissue.

here is the OG version:

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    "pass the bone"

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i have the "words from the genius" 12" if anyone wants it. i'll sell it to you straight cash

• slushslush 691 Posts
    straight cash

how is that different than regular cash? does it have a picture of andrew dice clay on it?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    it's a joke.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    From a GZA and Wu Tang fan, this album sux ass. It's nearly as embarrassing as Prince Rakeem and how he likes the ladies...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

i like the whole album just for the novelty of hearing gza over some early 90s type beats that are different from any wu tang stuff.

co-sign - Also, "Pass the Bone" is a mixtape constant for me.

• No stems, no seeds that you don't need....acapulco gold is................Baad Azz Weeeeed!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I just bought a copy of pass the bone, it's a dope ass track w/ the RZA in his playa phase.

• if you havent heard it this is my favorite song off the album

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=25YF7XQRJ8VQ42V4VI5ZPA2Y44

i like the whole album just for the novelty of hearing gza over some early 90s type beats that are different from any wu tang stuff.

Yes. Definitely feeling this one. Same sample as Dooley-O's "headbangers ball" and another song thats in the random rap secion of Funky Skunk.

Even though I should

I gotta ask: where's that sample from?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    OG version:

OG cover, much better. thanks for posting that.

• OG version:

OG cover, much better. thanks for posting that.

nice. you can sort of see the genesis of his later "G" logo.