Favourite version ???Sunny??? ?

bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
NO!Who did the original?Seriously I don???t know?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Bobby Hebb

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Dick Smith version is that G-Funk fire son! Produced by Roger Troutman. Young Weezey put this on one of the "AR Music" CDs.

• Bobby Hebb

This is the original right?

I don???t know it to be honest!

Was it a hit ?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Bobby Hebb

This is the original right?

I don???t know it to be honest!

Was it a hit ?

yeah thats the original, I'm guessing it was a hit, kinda strange for a non-hit song to get remade so much.

And yes that Sunny on the Dick Smith LP is HAUGHTT to DEFF.

I was just listening to that A&R (vol. 3 right?) today

• Best version I got and I played it out tonite is:

Jimmy Takeuchi and his Exciters.

Funky/easy ish that starts with a killer break.

I'll try to post in up tomorrow.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    #2 in 1966 for Hebb.

His version, like most, is very annoying. It's always sung with so much emotion, but I never heard where the words called for all that emotion.

The best version, by far (for me anyway), is the mind melting version that Mingering Mike did.

• Willie Bobo

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    bobby christian

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    michel pagliaro

• #2 in 1966 for Hebb.

His version, like most, is very annoying. It's always sung with so much emotion, but I never heard where the words called for all that emotion.

STRONG disagreement. True, the song is so poppish that you can see why it became a lounge standard, but Hebb had the right amount of restraint to hold it together. And when he does go off, later in the song ("YOU SMIIIIIILED AT ME AND REALLY, REALLY EASED THE PAIN!"), it's just what the song needs at that moment.

Second-best version, after Bobby Hebb: Bill Cosby's monotone rendition, with ad-libbed words yet.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    Dick Smith version is that G-Funk fire son! Produced by Roger Troutman. Young Weezey put this on one of the "AR Music" CDs.

Yeah you're right,

this version is a killer. There's also a dope version of Tobacco Road on this LP.
    Also check Booker T. & The MG's Sunny version, Gravediggaz used it for 1-800-Suicide.

• Yambu

• james brown & marva whitney

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I like Bobby Bland's version called 'Shoes'

Dave Major & the Minors is good too

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Anything but the Boney M version. I don't care if Mark Ronson sampled it, it's still

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    #2 in 1966 for Hebb.

The best version, by far (for me anyway), is the mind melting version that Mingering Mike did.

Couldn't agree with you less! I think the Bobby Hebb version is great personally, and not only it was a huge international hit in sales terms but it's been covered by more than 100 different artists and still gets lots of radio airplay today. Other good versions include James Brown and Marva Whitney, George Benson and Yambu.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    #2 in 1966 for Hebb.

STRONG disagreement. True, the song is so poppish that you can see why it became a lounge standard, but Hebb had the right amount of restraint to hold it together. And when he does go off, later in the song ("YOU SMIIIIIILED AT ME AND REALLY, REALLY EASED THE PAIN!"), it's just what the song needs at that moment.

Second-best version, after Bobby Hebb: Bill Cosby's monotone rendition, with ad-libbed words yet.

How bout the Moms Mabley version?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like the Barbara Moore version on her "Voices in Latin" lp. There's also a really dope lounge version on the Kay Dennis lp on percee(?).

• "Fluty" upbeat cover by John d'Andrea & the Young Gyants...
    B-side is a Uptight cover.
    Any info on this band ?

• My favorite "Sunny" is on an late 60's/early 70's private press jazz vocal LP out of Minneapolis called "Lorna's Here." Can't remember Lorna's last name though. Great LP if you ever see it.

• Mingering Mike does a pretty killer version.

• "Fluty" upbeat cover by John d'Andrea & the Young Gyants...
    B-side is a Uptight cover.
    Any info on this band ?

I'm guessing this was purely a studio band, as I've seen D'Andrea's name in a few credits here & there.

• Pat Martino - Live = definitely my favorite.

(sinatra's cool too)

i like this song, even the OG is decent

#2 in 1966 for Hebb.

Couldn't agree with you less! I think the Bobby Hebb version is great personally, and not only it was a huge international hit in sales terms but it's been covered by more than 100 different artists and still gets lots of radio airplay today. Other good versions include James Brown and Marva Whitney, George Benson and Yambu.

I will take my opinions on Sunny to THE SONGS YOU HATE EVERYONE ELSE LOVES thread.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    LaserWolf, you can run but you can't hide...I will hunt you down like a, er, wolf and subject you to Bobby Hebb's masterly Sunny '76. Yes, it's Sunny but with a disco beat, daddio. You'll love it.

LaserWolf, you can run but you can't hide...I will hunt you down like a, er, wolf and subject you to Bobby Hebb's masterly Sunny '76. Yes, it's Sunny but with a disco beat, daddio. You'll love it.

I will be in my spider hole:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i think the yambu version sucks ass....

• the bruce wescott trio does a nice uptempo version.