THANKSGIVING MEMORIES (add on...)

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
My earliest Thanksgiving memory was the time my whole family jumped in the old Honda hatchback and went to Berlin, New Hampshire to spend the holiday with some of my father's old and decrepit distant relatives. I was about 4 or 5.

Since I'm the youngest of 5, I took a lot of shit from my older brothers and sisters. We took our places at the kid's table. There is a reason parents seperate children from the adult's table. Here is the reason why:

One of my father's aunts, who was ancient at the time and I think is still alive today served this mystery dish. To this day, I don't remember what it was but probably mashed up parsnip, sweet potatoes, and melted marshallows.

My brothers and sisters had figured out early on that it was un-edible. They were all daring me to try it so I knew something was up. They said it was "mashed potatoes" and that I would like it. Eventually, I caved in and tried it.............it did not stay in my mouth long. It was either that it was really horrible on the tongue or the surprise that it actually wasn't "mashed potatoes" like they said it would be. I proceeded to regurgitate everything else that I had eaten that day on the floor beside my chair, to the sounds of uproarious laughter around the kid table.

Needless to say, we were never invited back. We were all pretty rowdy around the old folks who weren't used to having kids around. But the kid vomit on their nice carpeted floor is what sealed the deal.

Also, if any of you have ever smelled the air in Berlin, NH you will know that it is conducive to feeling sick.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    sounds of uproarious laughter around the kid table.

FOR LIFE!!!!!!!

I'm going to sit at the kid table till the day I die. Kids 'R' Us!!!!!

• Definitely one of those things you can look back on and laugh, though at the time I was really pissed off!

Anyone else have some good Thanksgiving related stories?

• Definitely one of those things you can look back on and laugh, though at the time I was really pissed off!

I have a good one about backstabbing foreigners murdering those who helped them, and then it subsequently be memorialized with candy-coated stories about what great pals the foreigners were.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Definitely one of those things you can look back on and laugh, though at the time I was really pissed off!

I have a good one about backstabbing foreigners murdering those who helped them, and then it subsequently be memorialized with candy-coated stories about what great pals the foreigners were.

holy shit dude, you're really old

• all i know is my turky is soaking in brine prep right now, I got a stack of jazz records and a bottle of wine for tomarrow while i roast that sucker.

• all i know is my turky is soaking in brine prep right now, I got a stack of jazz records and a bottle of wine for tomarrow while i roast that sucker.

Brining is the way to go, player!

Brining is the way to go, player!

and man it was an awesome turkey too!

good prestige and blue note all day, Hooked up some Street Fighter 2 turbo in the kitchen between basting. the alan lomax and johnny cash profile on npr then the during-post dinner playlist:

yusef lateef-cry tender
    ramsey lewis-barefoot sunday blues
    vince guaraldi-black orpheus
    ella fitzgerald - from some best of lp cuz the ladies wated some ella.
    fred wesley and the new j.b.'s- breakin' bread
    Latimore-Latimore III
    Jimmy McGriff and Junior Parker- Good things dont happen every day.

it was a very good thanksgiving.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    2005:

9-2 ..