Canada doesn't care about 50 Cent

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Canadian MP wants rapper 50 Cent kept out[/b]Bad-boy rapper 50 Cent is not welcome in Canada, a Canadian lawmaker who represents the country's biggest city gripped by a recent wave of gun violence said. MP Dan McTeague called on officials to prevent 50 Cent, who has a criminal record, from entering the country because he allegedly promotes gun violence. "Toronto has witnessed unprecedented violence on its streets and deaths as a result of gang warfare, gang culture," McTeague told AFP. "This is not a question of censorship," he said. "This is a question of trying to protect impressionable young men in our communities who are being destroyed in the prime of their lives." Toronto residents are living in fear of gang violence that has claimed 49 lives this year, including the shooting death last week of a 17-year-old boy outside the funeral of his best friend, who had also been shot to death. Most blame the United States for exporting their gun culture and weapons north, officials told AFP. 50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, is scheduled to launch a Canadian tour December 3 in Vancouver, then make stops in Halifax, Saint John, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto and Ottawa. Because of his criminal past, the rapper must obtain ministerial permission to enter Canada. His last concert in Toronto in 2003 was marked by a fatal shooting outside the theatre, and more gun violence erupted after a concert in Montreal.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

"Toronto has witnessed unprecedented violence on its streets and deaths as a result of gang warfare, gang culture," McTeague told AFP.

is Snow involved in any of these deaths?

• "Toronto has witnessed unprecedented violence on its streets and deaths as a result of gang warfare, gang culture," McTeague told AFP.

is Snow involved in any of these deaths?

You no say daddy me Snow me a go blame
    A licky boom boom down

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    wow. I just looked that up. That is actually the lyric!

• wow. I just looked that up. That is actually the lyric!

What was Shan's involvement with Snow? Was he ghostwriter, producer, manager?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Didn't you know? Everybody except for the people that do the shootings are to blame... They are the vic...

Whatever.. Just like song lyrics will make you do the devils bidding.

On the Snow topic.. I remember when he was doing time up at Maplehurst which was in the town I use to live in. I can't front tho. I always did like that rmx for Anything For You.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Wednesday, November 23, 2005 Posted at 12:16 PM EST
    Canadian Press
    Toronto ??? Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said Wednesday that he does not think gangsta rappers like 50 Cent can be blamed for the deadly gunplay on the streets of Toronto this year.
    Mr. McGuinty said he ???wouldn't want to put too much stock??? in 50 Cent's influence and that of other rappers, even if they do hold some sway with young people.
    He said the causes of Toronto's gun violence are much more complex than anything one rapper can influence.
    Toronto Liberal MP Dan McTeague wants Ottawa to bar 50 Cent from entering Canada.
    Mr. McGuinty said that is a federal decision.
    Born Curtis Jackson in Queen's, N.Y., the rapper is scheduled to launch a Canadian tour Dec. 3 in Vancouver.
    Mr. McTeague noted that there was a shooting the last time 50 Cent performed in Toronto in 2003.
    He said Tuesday that it is "time to send a message of our own to those who glorify violence that their gratuitous violence and movies are not welcome in our country.???
    50 Cent has a criminal record and needs a ministerial permit to enter Canada, although officials say such permits are issued regularly.
    He is also scheduled to perform in Halifax, Saint John, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto and Ottawa.
    It was not known if the musician has already obtained a special permit to enter Canada in advance of booking his tour dates.
    Four dozen homicides in Toronto this year, out of a total of 70, have involved guns.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Toronto's gun violence is badly managed by the police and mayor

Fifty to blame is just stupid. However if this leads to more MTL concerts (from other artists) instead of the staple t-dot only canadian visit than

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 Posted at 12:16 PM EST
    Canadian Press
    Toronto ??? Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said Wednesday that he does not think gangsta rappers like 50 Cent can be blamed for the deadly gunplay on the streets of Toronto this year.
    Mr. McGuinty said he ???wouldn't want to put too much stock??? in 50 Cent's influence and that of other rappers, even if they do hold some sway with young people.
    He said the causes of Toronto's gun violence are much more complex than anything one rapper can influence.
    Toronto Liberal MP Dan McTeague wants Ottawa to bar 50 Cent from entering Canada.
    Mr. McGuinty said that is a federal decision.
    Born Curtis Jackson in Queen's, N.Y., the rapper is scheduled to launch a Canadian tour Dec. 3 in Vancouver.
    Mr. McTeague noted that there was a shooting the last time 50 Cent performed in Toronto in 2003.
    He said Tuesday that it is "time to send a message of our own to those who glorify violence that their gratuitous violence and movies are not welcome in our country.???
    50 Cent has a criminal record and needs a ministerial permit to enter Canada, although officials say such permits are issued regularly.
    He is also scheduled to perform in Halifax, Saint John, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto and Ottawa.
    It was not known if the musician has already obtained a special permit to enter Canada in advance of booking his tour dates.
    Four dozen homicides in Toronto this year, out of a total of 70, have involved guns.

Good for Dalton!

Now if McGuinty could explain to me why the provincial & federal governments gave GM hundreds of millions of dollars 9 months ago saying it would secure GM jobs for the future. Only to find out the other day that about 20% of GM's Canadian workforce (Including from one of the most efficient plants in North America) will be cut in the next few years.

Can we as tax payers get that money back?

Good for Dalton!

Now if McGuinty could explain to me why the provincial & federal governments gave GM hundreds of millions of dollars 9 months ago saying it would secure GM jobs for the future. Only to find out the other day that about 20% of GM's Canadian workforce (Including from one of the most efficient plants in North America) will be cut in the next few years.

perhaps it would have been 30% of the workforce if it weren't for the $9mil?

• Man, people talk about Snow like he is a fucking joke... but I can say with a very straight face that he was one of the only white semi-yardie kids that I continually saw at really rough reggae nights in Toronto in the last 80s and early 90s, and not just junglis parties... I used to see him at a lot of parties around Antica Village, and out in Cataracks as well. I think some other Toronto heads on this board could vouch dood was in fact kind of a roughneck.

The snow / shan connect has always eluded me though...
    anyone in the know about that whole thing?

it wasn't 9 we gave GM.. It was over 250 million+. It was 9 months ago they gave them the money. Saying things in the press briefing like it would help secure the GM jobs in the province.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Good for Dalton!

perhaps it would have been 30% of the workforce if it weren't for the $9mil?
    Perhaps they should just stop dishing out money to GM and nationalise that bitch (under democratic workers control, what?!). I think that would

a) Stop wasting our tax money.
    b) Create surplus revenue.
    c) Provide dependable union jobs for "canadians".
    d) Employ the criminals Toronto is trying to put into the Thunderdome.

Don't forget the $50M they gave to Toyota just so they would build a plant here.

But wait, these ideas are too

That is bullshit though, that Toronto is blaming rap-acts on the splurge of violence.

it wasn't 9 we gave GM.. It was over 250 million+. It was 9 months ago they gave them the money. Saying things in the press briefing like it would help secure the GM jobs in the province.

my mistake - i obviously don't know too much about it so i can't say too much about the subject...but my question still stands - if the money had not been given to GM would more jobs have been axed?

• Man, people talk about Snow like he is a fucking joke... but I can say with a very straight face that he was one of the only white semi-yardie kids that I continually saw at really rough reggae nights in Toronto in the last 80s and early 90s, and not just junglis parties... I used to see him at a lot of parties around Antica Village, and out in Cataracks as well. I think some other Toronto heads on this board could vouch dood was in fact kind of a roughneck.

Trust me I have heard the same things... but still

LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN

Man, people talk about Snow like he is a fucking joke... but I can say with a very straight face that he was one of the only white semi-yardie kids that I continually saw at really rough reggae nights in Toronto in the last 80s and early 90s, and not just junglis parties... I used to see him at a lot of parties around Antica Village, and out in Cataracks as well. I think some other Toronto heads on this board could vouch dood was in fact kind of a roughneck.

i don't care one way or another, but i'm not sure how any of this makes him down. a dude's a "rough neck" and goes to badman yardie parties and so...?

i've had dealings with him and he's fine, not this way or that way, just is.

i've had dealings with him and he's fine, not this way or that way, just is.

Plz tell me he ran off lines to you? I met him once... Seemed like an OK guy. I hope he got paid off informer.

• DOR - I want an animated gif that says "LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN"

DOR - I want an animated gif that says "LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN"

A possibility...

But THIS is much better IMO

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    DOR - I want an animated gif that says "LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN"

A possibility...

hahah... what the fuck?!?! is this some real shit? ive been crying from laughter over these pages...

"We don't be 'avin' no group religion, yo. Our beliefs, dey diverse, but we all be mad respectful of da black Jesus. "

huh?

A possibility...

Eminem may not want to face it, but he owes a lot to me. And Vanilla Ice. We are truly the Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson to his Jackie Robinson. Except we're all white. [/b]

A paragraph that the phrase "what the fuck" was invented for...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    When is the rest of the world going to get a clue and not care about 50 Cent too?

• i've had dealings with him and he's fine[/b] , not this way or that way, just is.

what's that Bassie? He's fine? Ha ha somebody likes Snow! MissBassie and Snow sitting in a tree...licky boom boom indeed.

i've had dealings with him and he's fine[/b] , not this way or that way, just is.

what's that Bassie? He's fine? Ha ha somebody likes Snow! MissBassie and Snow sitting in a tree...licky boom boom indeed.

LOL!!!!!

oh fuck - i'm getting lazy! i should be on my toes!

not fine like fine, he???s fine like arrowroot cookies are fine.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    When is the rest of the world going to get a clue and not care about 50 Cent too?

well said

on the snow stuff. How can he not fully understand the extent of his career. The fact he may have profited fromhis actions is a miracle in itself

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I don't think snow is really invoved with this. He just had a small hit & video with the trailer park boys in it. I'm not saying he's mega, but he's better than "Twelve Flakes"

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    What was Shan's involvement with Snow? Was he ghostwriter, producer, manager?

98% sure Shan was just manager/promoter/signer.

Anyway, I remember seeing an interview with KRS jokingly miffed about how he was all set to promote SKADANKS, and no other than SHAN stole thunder with his own white reggae star Snow. HA!

Remember Skadanks?

"EVERBODY AFRICCAN-A!!"

A possibility...

Eminem may not want to face it, but he owes a lot to me. And Vanilla Ice. We are truly the Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson to his Jackie Robinson. Except we're all white. [/b]

A paragraph that the phrase "what the fuck" was invented for...

WHOA!
    haha.

jafakin'

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    obviously not allowing 50 cent to come in right now to stop violence is not a very intelligent decision, but i think it would have to do more with an empathic decision...well maybe not that, but there's a word i'm looking for that ain't registering right now.

its phucking sad that these young kids are dying and more sad that a kid would be sniped outside a church. i dont think fans of 50 cent are going to be deprived that he doesnt set foot here at the immediate moment (aww those poor 17 year old girls) and its not like millions of other artists havent been rejected at our borders (i missed out on nas once) but this is one time i think it would be in good taste not to have him do a show...simply because of what his IMAGE represents. you could have practically any other commercial rapper come here right now and i dont think it would be much of an issue of him performing, but 50 cent would be more identifyable with clueless people, so while i might not agree with this, i can understand it.

People dont know what the phuck is going on right now, community leaders are trying to figure out what to do, i got no answer, but i ain't gonna cry injustice cause 50 cent doesnt do a show at this immediate moment in time.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I've heard shan mention how he was broke, all down & out w/ no money to buy food for his kids. Then snow would jack groceries on his behalf. So yeah they were tight apparently.

and yes even though the persona on tv is herbish, snow was known around town for doing "the real schitt".