Fond memories

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Sometimes things just pop into my head...Like I just remembered seeing Public Enemy perform at the Royal Albert Hall in London (1988 I think). Shit was crazy, it was after 'Nation Of Millions...' had dropped. It was a surprise appearance... and they performed 'Rebel Without A Pause' and I just went nuts. That was a HUGE song to me then - it still is.What also made it cool was that was the first gig I went to where I took an air-horn. Nothing like giving your friend tinnitus...

Comments

• i'm jealous

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I can't remember how many times I saw PE during their heyday. Their concerts were crazy intense and totally different from today's rap shows. I think the first time I saw them was in Duesseldorf where they kinda opened for LL. I also remember seeing them in Bonn with The Afros opening for PE. The last time i saw them must have been around 93 or 94, they were touring with Ice-T and the hype was already kinda over...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What also made it cool was that was the first gig I went to where I took an air-horn.

Great idea! I think I'm gonna start bringing one of these to friends' DJ gigs...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Seeing De La Soul perform in Iceland in 1995 was pretty amazing shit.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Seeing De La Soul perform in Iceland in 1995 was pretty amazing shit.

I heard that tour of Europe was pretty off the chain as they played smaller venues than they would have a few years before, but totally rocked the set.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Man, I was told to stay home for the 87 UK Def Jam gigs coz I was 12 and the lads said I'd get the shit kicked out of me. Probably right, and it would have been due to shit they started.

I did join the PE fan club.... I still have the 4 -page photostatted "zine". practically illegible but the band all doodled their tags on it. I'll have to dig that out.

Aah, that was the summer we all collected logos off german cars.