Bobby Callender - Rainbow

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
what's this like?

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    knowbody knows? supposed to be some kind of sitar psych deal, but is it any good?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    it sucks.

• i totally like it. it is some poetry guru black man with mellow sitar noddles. no funk at all. just another fruitcake hippy record.

I have a grudge against it. I spent 30 bucks on it when I was like 18 & I didn't like it. that was like 2 weeks of lunch money & shit!

• it is not the coolest thing ever but it is cool. it is super overpriced. it should be a $10 to $15 record. i like it a lot but do not get the hype.

yeah, for 10 bucks I'd pick it up again. It's a lot more tame than the cover suggests though...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I found that record today and from what i heard i'm sure there's some decent moments on there. And of course things for a person like myself to sample for NU BREAXKZS

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Fucking rad, I want one.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I found that record today and from what i heard i'm sure there's some decent moments on there. And of course things for a person like myself to sample for NU BREAXKZS

Yeah, Pretty Purdie's in the mix... LOW in the mix, but he's in there... a beathead dude picked up at my store one time based on the strength on one song... I like a couple of tracks on it... I agree w/AP though, no more than $10-15 and I've seen em nestled in that range

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i almost bought it for $15 but passed. i hid it in the store so i could get back to it in case it was recommended. might just do that.

15 is good. just be prepared for it to be less cool than it looks. there is a song about a little dog that is just plain gay...

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    I say its tight-his singing is a little faggy for me [THATS FAGGY!] but the lorber production is great-real dreamy! CAN YOU SAY SITAR THROUGH A LESLIE?!

• he also has a private double album, "the way". It's different than "rainbow", more ochestrated. I didn`t like it so much when I heard it.
    And I remember seeing a weird album from him recorded in Europe in the 70s but I've never heard it.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    What's with all the hype? Where is it?

I have it... copped it off this old lady, who I gave $3 for it. I think it's pretty cool. It has some interesting moments. It's not one that I show off when my friends come over to hear music though.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    ayo, i'm diggin it. totally worth the $15

• I've always thought callender vocals on "rainbow" sound a little but I like the album.