looking for a place to snowboard out west

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
planning on taking a trip this winter with a friend of mine. Looking to get a package deal somewhere (and buy early so its cheaper). Any advice? I've been to Heavenly (Lake Tahoe) which was really nice, but what else is worth checking out and not stupid expensive?thanks

Comments

• paging Nate...

• Jackson Hole

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    May not be cheap

But BC (whistler-Blackcomb) is the best skiing in NAmerica hands down

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

paging BURTON BIZZO...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dood, mt. baker is where i'll be all xmas weekend. best mountain on the west, better than whistler.

• Mt. Hood is pretty fun. (1 hour SE of Portland)

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    thanks guys, I guess they are all going to be dope huh? better than the hills we have on the mid-atlantic. I'll be impressed regardless. I wondering though, does anyone know of any good hotel/lift-ticket/airfare packages?

• I happen to have a snowboard I don't want. Given to me as a gift, unused. Comes with its own snowboard bag. Inquire within.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Honestly your best bet for this would be to check with your school or something of the sort for a group outing. Prices for tickets are low and usually good peeps to hang out with in the lobby or hotel. Single package deals can be a screw compared to what you would get if you knew the place

group=bus so cheaper

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    -Big Sky

-Sun Valley

-Kicking Horse in BC (super misty mom/pop spot. Killer pow)

-Fernie

-Lake Louis

-Jackson Hole if there is snow. No snow = Rock death

-MT Bachelor

-MT Baker......

or if you want to do it right.

www.baldface.net ($2000 will get you everything except booze. all at a 4 Star lodge outside of Nelson BC. Highest Recommendation. Mark Fawcett is a guide there.)

Going to a resort will cost you about the same.

Who needs gear?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    -Big Sky
    -Sun Valley

-Fernie
    -Lake Louis
    -MT Bachelor
    -MT Baker......

www.baldface.net ($2000 will get you everything except booze. all at a 4 Star lodge outside of Nelson BC. Highest Recommendation. Mark Fawcett is a guide there.)

Who needs gear?

Knowledge dropped I have to check baker but never heard of Kicking horse. Is it still hittable during spring/summer ala whistler? and also what part of BC is it in

-Big Sky
    -Sun Valley

-Fernie
    -Lake Louis
    -MT Bachelor
    -MT Baker......

Who needs gear?

Knowledge dropped I have to check baker but never heard of Kicking horse. Is it still hittable during spring/summer ala whistler? and also what part of BC is it in

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Fill up your fridge before your arrival...
    in your nountain side lodge

shit i sometimes wish i was a wealthy capitalist.

Bizzo, canadian? rider?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    rider?

Check out the Heli ride from my Chile trip.

Questions answered much respect

Best life ever...

• which dude are you in the vid? (nh)

which dude are you in the vid? (nh)

I only make a brief appearance in the vid. I did a bunch of the filming.

I'm wearing the M65 Jacket with the quote. 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pount bag.

• Brighton Utah is a real dope spot for the economy rider (at least it was 5 or 6 years ago. Great places to ride out there.

But from experience, Vail Colorodo and vicinity IMO is the best spot to hit up mainly because there are so many incredible places to ride in close proximity to eachother. Not to mention that the backside at Vail is the most amazing place to ride. Talk about wide open terrain and incredible bowls. Definitely my top pick. The 3 days i was at Vail, I didnt even once step foot on the font side. I think the 2 foot dump was a good reason why I had such a great time too.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Brighton Utah is a real dope spot for the economy rider (at least it was 5 or 6 years ago. Great places to ride out there.

But from experience, Vail Colorodo and vicinity IMO is the best spot to hit up mainly because there are so many incredible places to ride in close proximity to eachother. Not to mention that the backside at Vail is the most amazing place to ride. Talk about wide open terrain and incredible bowls. Definitely my top pick. The 3 days i was at Vail, I didnt even once step foot on the font side. I think the 2 foot dump was a good reason why I had such a great time too.

yeah, if the snow is good, summit county, CO(vail, breck, keystone, a-basin, beaver creek) is nice. but its hit or miss with the snow there, unfortunately.

i second jackson hole, or go back to tahoe. they always get tons of snow.

regardless, even on a shitty day out there it will be better than over here, trust me.

• I'm surprised it took that long for somebody to mention Colorado... World renowned ski/snowboarding spots laced throughout the CO Rockies.... Vail and Aspen are 2 of the most famous spots. There's some backcountry shit here too though. I'm sure BC has the nicest mountains though...