Most Dangerous Cities (NRR)

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
from www.cnn.comGroup ranks most dangerous U.S. citiesCamden, New Jersey, named at top of list[/b]CAMDEN, New Jersey (AP) -- For the second year in a row this destitute city of Camden, New Jersey, has been named the nation's most dangerous, according to a company's annual ranking based on crime statistics.Last year, the distinction seemed to hurt city boosters' feelings more than it harmed revitalization efforts. This time, city leaders are offended by the ranking, calling it unfair."We're doing so many nice things now. It's unfortunate that somebody always wants to bad-mouth Camden," Mayor Gwendolyn Faison said.The city took the top spot last year from Detroit, which remained No. 2 in the most dangerous city rankings, to be released Monday by Morgan Quitno Press.The Lawrence, Kansas-based company publishes "City Crime Rankings," an annual reference book.Listed as the most dangerous cities are: Camden, New Jersey; Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis, Missouri; Flint, Michigan; Richmond, Virginia; Baltimore, Maryland; Atlanta, Georgia; New Orleans, Louisiana; Gary, Indiana; Birmingham, Alabama.At the other end of the scale, the safest are named as: Newton, Massachusetts; Clarkstown, New York; Amherst, New York; Mission Viejo, California; Brick Township, New Jersey; Troy, Michigan; Thousand Oaks, California; Round Rock, Texas; Lake Forest, California; Cary, North Carolina.Development projectsCamden, a former industrial city across the Delaware River from Philadelphia, is known for a history of corrupt politicians, drug-dealing and murders. It has been among the Top 10 in the most dangerous city rankings in each of the eight years Morgan Quitno released them. By most measures it is also among the nation's poorest.The state has poured $175 million into the city to spur development projects and take over parts of its government, the city's aquarium doubled in size and a new library and technology center were built. Tourism continues to increase along the river, home to the aquarium, an amphitheater, a minor-league baseball park and a retired battleship.But about 100 fewer prospective students than expected attended Rutgers University's downtown campus last year, something Provost Roger Dennis attributes to the crime ranking and a serial rapist who assaulted women near and on campus last fall.Police are now using computers to try to track crime trends, and more officers are patrolling the city's neighborhoods.Authorities say that has helped drive down the most serious crimes by 18 percent in the first 10 months of 2005 compared with the same period a year earlier.Some residents say their neighborhoods feel a bit safer."I haven't heard that many gunshots," said Gracy Muniz, 22, a mother of three who lives in North Camden.Critics note that Morgan Quitno's ranking is based on data from last year, when the city of 80,000 averaged a murder a week. Murders from January through October were down by 45 percent compared with the same period in 2004.Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno, said Friday that while the numbers may not be perfect, they are one of the only ways to compare crime in different cities.Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Listed as the most dangerous cities are: Camden, New Jersey; Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis, Missouri; Flint, Michigan[/b] ; Richmond, Virginia; Baltimore, Maryland; Atlanta, Georgia; New Orleans, Louisiana; Gary, Indiana; Birmingham, Alabama.

EEK

• Bhagdad is bumped from #1

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Listed as the most dangerous cities are: Camden, New Jersey; Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis, Missouri; Flint, Michigan ; Richmond, Virginia[/b]; Baltimore, Maryland; Atlanta, Georgia; New Orleans, Louisiana; Gary, Indiana; Birmingham, Alabama.

EEK

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I heard Gary indiana is gangster as hell.

yeah it is only 9th Gansta has hell, compared to my FLints 4th Gangsta has hell.

dont tet Flint gangsta (unless youare are Detroit, Camden, or St. Lois)

thanks in advance.

• I heard Gary indiana is gangster as hell.

Dude that sounds like a compliment

Gary isn't "gangster" it's "fucked"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Dude that sounds like a compliment

Gary isn't "gangster" it's "fucked"

Clearly only soft pussy bitches live in Newton, Massachusetts.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Gary is an American city without resources, without hope for upward mobility, and without help. But it is still, and always will be, my second home.

• Options
    Detroit, Michigan; Flint, Michigan; Gary, Indiana

These cities aren't that far away from each other, no? ISbn't Gary at the top of Indiana where it gets all skinny and meets Michigan and Illinois?

K.

Detroit, Michigan; Flint, Michigan; Gary, Indiana

These cities aren't that far away from each other, no? ISbn't Gary at the top of Indiana where it gets all skinny and meets Michigan and Illinois?

K.

yeah, the are all relatively close.

flint is 45 minutes north of Detroit, and Gary is about 3 hours from detroit.

• yeah, the are all relatively close.

I wouldn't call that "close".

If you're factoring that as close, you might as well factor in the dozens of shit hole rust belt cities that are all "close" to one another. It's just the economy of the area.

By the way, where is YOUNGSTOWN?

yeah, the are all relatively close.

I wouldn't call that "close".

If you're factoring that as close, you might as well factor in the dozens of shit hole rust belt cities that are all "close" to one another. It's just the economy of the area.

By the way, where is YOUNGSTOWN?

in in relation to the rest of the country it is close. 45 minutes apart is not close?

3 hours is not close in our country?

for having 3 in the top 10 they are close.

• thats bullshit. the way they rank the cities by combining all these crazy stats per capita blah blah blah is blown up but camden ain't shit. i'd venture to say philly is easily more dangerous although there aren't any streets in philly i wouldn't feel safe walking down in the middle of the night. camden is pretty desolate but they got some nice honies over there.

thats bullshit. the way they rank the cities by combining all these crazy stats per capita blah blah blah is blown up but camden ain't shit. i'd venture to say philly is easily more dangerous although there aren't any streets in philly i wouldn't feel safe walking down in the middle of the night.

really buddy? how do they do these rankings?

• thats bullshit. the way they rank the cities by combining all these crazy stats per capita blah blah blah is blown up but camden ain't shit. i'd venture to say philly is easily more dangerous although there aren't any streets in philly i wouldn't feel safe walking down in the middle of the night.

lol. i'm sure you already know the answer to your question but one of the major things the stats don't take into account is the growing trend in major cities of not reporting crimes accurately or in some cases at all. big cities like philadelphia (which is notorious for fudging numbers) have always been chastized for the way they report crime to the feds. small cities like camden greatly benefit from the notoriety of such a ranking because that's how they get funding from the state and feds to survive whereas larger cities are a bit more self sufficient. but to say camden new jersey is the most dangerous city in america is just hype.

thats bullshit. the way they rank the cities by combining all these crazy stats per capita blah blah blah is blown up but camden ain't shit. i'd venture to say philly is easily more dangerous although there aren't any streets in philly i wouldn't feel safe walking down in the middle of the night.

lol. i'm sure you already know the answer to your question but one of the major things the stats don't take into account is the growing trend in major cities of not reporting crimes accurately or in some cases at all. big cities like philadelphia (which is notorious for fudging numbers) have always been chastized for the way they report crime to the feds. small cities like camden greatly benefit from the notoriety of such a ranking because that's how they get funding from the state and feds to survive whereas larger cities are a bit more self sufficient. but to say camden new jersey is the most dangerous city in america is just hype.

I will agree with you that it is not 100% accurate, but it is not far from the truth.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Detroit & Flint Michigan!!! Yeah baby!!! GM just announced plant closings & layoffs - we're gonna be #1 next year!!! we can do it!!!

---

Detroit & Flint Michigan!!! Yeah baby!!! GM just announced plant closings & layoffs - we're gonna be #1 next year!!! we can do it!!!

---

Im very confident that Flint or Detroit can return and regain the crown.

Dont forget to check www.FLINT-RAP.com !

FLINT IS CLEAN BITCH!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

---

Hey, it's really gonna shake up the used goods and fleamarkets scene.

Once GM "gets it back together" will they re-hire and re-open these plants? Shit's fucked.

Either way, in 20 years, all shit's gonna be horse-drawn. 4 HPs will be

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    All my Michigan homies put your gats in the air!

• Either way, in 20 years, all shit's gonna be horse-drawn. 4 HPs will be

nah, man. word on the strut is fossil fuels are limitless.

All my Michigan homies put your gats in the air!

• Detroit & Flint Michigan!!! Yeah baby!!! GM just announced plant closings & layoffs - we're gonna be #1 next year!!! we can do it!!!

---

Hey, it's really gonna shake up the used goods and fleamarkets scene.

Once GM "gets it back together" will they re-hire and re-open these plants? Shit's fucked.

Either way, in 20 years, all shit's gonna be horse-drawn. 4 HPs will be

Whats really dumb is the plants they are keeping open are the ones making SUVs even though the sale of SUVs has slowed greatly. I don't have a biz degree or anything but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i dunno

Camden is pretty gutter

as far as Ohio i recall one year in the top 20 Ohio had

Akron

Youngstown

Dayton

Cincinatti

Cleveland

all on the list

that was some shit

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Listed as the most dangerous cities are: Camden, New Jersey; Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis, Missouri; Flint, Michigan ; Richmond, Virginia[/b]; Baltimore, Maryland; Atlanta, Georgia; New Orleans, Louisiana; Gary, Indiana; Birmingham, Alabama.

EEK

does that mean we beat Baldimore? Damn.

• Damn, I just moved from #2(Detroit) to livng next door to #1(Camden)...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn, I just moved from #2(Detroit) to livng next door to #1(Camden)...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    toronto's been going phucking nuts lately....was late coming home on friday cause my bus route passed a church that had a 17 year old killed during a funeral service for another 17 year old killed just a week prior. man killing peeps at church!? but the gang violence has increase exponentially lately.

• I don't know ... Baltimore's been gunnin for that #1 spot for a couple years now. fuck Richmond!!

• RezRez 164 Posts
    I don't know ... Baltimore's been gunnin for that #1 spot for a couple years now. fuck Richmond!!

Come to Brix-Ton - dumping ground for the resta London - all forms of life exist here...

Rez