little dude alert + funky austria

nutriciousnutricious 118 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
yes, i already did the odd post here and there, but i'm still kinda new here, so: hello!

besides being a nerd about music, i also write about music, talk about music, play music, make music and release music on my label beattown - among a couple of other things. normally from vienna/austria/europe, i'm now living in cincinnati/ohio for a couple of months...

-------------------

anyway, this should not be just a boring "i'm here" post, so i'd like to list 3 of my favourite funky moments in austrian music history for you:

wolfgang ambros - g's??chta[/b] (on the lp "es lebe der zentralfriedhof")

before he went from angry young men to one of austropop's biggest stars and switched from weed to coke in the process, ambros knocked out this wonderfully funky tirade against a rich showoff. his use of swearwords is so extensive, even people from vienna can pick up new expressions here. the song also features a young kurt hauenstein on bass, who is better known for his late-seventies work as "supermax".

udo j??rgens - peace now[/b] (from the lp "udo '71" or the 45)

a lot of you might now this one, great funk tune which is also sampled on a recent ep by these guys from a certain internet forum. the singer is normally known for pretty cheesy german-language pop music (the genre's called "schlager"). interestingly, this track was produced by none other than alain goraguer of "la planete sauvage" fame.

? - hey prohaska[/b] (from the lp "i wer' narrisch")

you can say how much austria sucks in soccer, when their only win against the german team at the world championships in argentine 1978 still seems to be a defining moment for national identity. although the game was totally meaningless (germany was already qualified for the next round, austria already out), they even pressed up a record of the radio broadcast of said match, in which the reporter coined the now-famous phrase "i wer' narrisch" (i'm going crazy). on the flip side, there's mostly super-corny nationalist chants by fan choirs, but this one song sticks out. it's dedicated to herbert prohaska, the midfield genius of said team, who used to sport a pretty impressive 'fro back then and is now the prime soccer analyst on austrian tv.

the song itself has pretty corny lyrics too, but kinda funny late-seventies discofunk with a drum&bongo-break towards the end. i think it was done by robert ponger, who later produced some of falco's early stuff...

bonus track:

art farmer - soul sides[/b]

...which was recorded with the orf (austrian state broadcasting corporation) big band in the same building where i usually work and was written by erich kleinschuster, the musical director of that band. i only found out about it over here after finally getting ahold of the album...

-------------------

sorry, no soundfiles, since i these records are a couple thousand miles away right now... but me & dj cutex are working on a mixtape showcasing the above mentioned songs and a couple more, so if there's any news on that i'll tell you about it... peace!

Comments

• Scheisse der Thrishler,
    du tauchst in meinem besten HipHop Moment des Jahres 2005 in der Jahresaabschluss Juice auf. Lass dich ??berraschen. Und wenn du es da nicht lesen kannst schicke ich dir gerne nen Word doc. davon.

Stiil all good in Cincinnati ??? What are you talking about the Udo joint beeing sampled by those forum dudes. Thats a lie !!!!!! Nobody sampled nothing.

Yo, talking about producers who produce in the studios where you nromally work, I told you, you should raid the ORF archives for all those Vienna Sound Library stuff and I bet there is even more intersting shit laying around. And you have the keys to the door, so just open it up.

When do you think you'll do this Austrian Funk vergn??gen ?? I werd Narisch, des will I h??ern.
    But please dont hammer away all austrian breaks, I need some for my LP I'm planing.

What is with the King studios ?? Where you there ?? Did you try to hunt down some old school enginers of those funk studios ??? I got questions to aks and you are again sittin on the source.

I'll try to visit you in Ohio, but dont bet on it.

Gr??ss da liebe von mir.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• Stiil all good in Cincinnati ??? What are you talking about the Udo joint beeing sampled by those forum dudes. Thats a lie !!!!!! Nobody sampled nothing.

ok, ok. after receiving the letters from your lawyers, i take that back. nobody, i repeat, NOBODY sampled udo j??rgens on the breakbeatraer ep

Yo, talking about producers who produce in the studios where you nromally work, I told you, you should raid the ORF archives for all those Vienna Sound Library stuff and I bet there is even more intersting shit laying around. And you have the keys to the door, so just open it up.

well, it's not that easy. they won't let anybody near the record archive. all you can do is select some and have them get em for you. but i'll get on it, i promise. orf big band has got some hot shit too...

When do you think you'll do this Austrian Funk vergn??gen ?? I werd Narisch, des will I h??ern. But please dont hammer away all austrian breaks, I need some for my LP I'm planing.

it should be in the finishing phase, cutex is doing the actual mixing, while i gathered most of the records. but he's busy releasing his own lp now, so it's probably not gonna be ready before spring or summer 06...

What is with the King studios ?? Where you there ?? Did you try to hunt down some old school enginers of those funk studios ??? I got questions to aks and you are again sittin on the source.

not yet, but it seems as there's nothing there anymore. and i'm not really sure how to track down retired record engineers round here, is there like special bars, where they hang out?