post some WEIRD SHIT (mp3s)

awallawall 673 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central

Decibel - Mana Ti
heavy mexican avant garde like woah from the rock-in-opposition school of progressive rock (i.e. henry cow, this heat, etc.)...this is probably the most abstract and out there cut on this album: synths, wood flutes, thumb pianos, african percussion, chanting and shit. i remember on someone's "ish" thing on this website they said it sounded like tortiose. um, no.

Joseph Spence - Sloop John B.
this is much more than just a so-bad-it's-good outsider-art kind of thing. this first time i heard this glorious trainwreck of a cover i laughed for about 5 minutes afterwards. kind of reminds me of those john frusciante 4 track albums were he's REALLY strung out on heroine (has anyone heard these? good lord). dude has a folkways album ("music of the bahamas vol. 1) that is also sick.

DNA - New Fast
DNA shits on the concept of a ???band??? like no other no wave artists. think bobcat golplate circa police academy 2 freaking out over a delightfully unprofessional tom tom gallop and some serious bass ???licks.??? Now whenever I see a little nerdy looking guy with big glasses I secretly hope he goes home at night and makes music like this.

Al-Wahshi - Dervish Exercise No. 4
this is probably the most mysterious and hauntingly beautiful records i own. no label and it's even kind of unclear who the artist is (either his name is Yassun Dede or Al-Washi) and what the title is (it's is either "Epitaph for and Ego" or "The Sacred Dances of the Wagshi Dervishes"). really fucking criptic liner notes too:
"Yassun Dede, called Al-Wahshi, which means 'the Wilderness,' says that he's called Al-Wahshi because of his hobbies. He likes to fish and also works from time to time as opportunity presents as an itinerant slave trader, which is why, he says, he has speart a great deal of time 'in the Field.'
Could he say something about the music? Yes. 'Either wake me up of don't; either remember yourself or don't; either do work or don't; it's all one to me. But how can you stumble around in the dark and not realize God?' The question was then asked, 'How does that relate to the music?' He said, 'What are you idiots doing in my livingroom?'"
WOW

Comments