First time they made the bass slap ?

LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Who's responsible for this shit ?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    larry grahm I think.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You should go to Rickyvincent.com. He's a Funk scholar who wrote a good book on the THE ONE. It might be Larry Graham within the R&B structure.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    that slapping shit was interesting to me 10 or so years ago, but now that shit is just annoying to me.

dead the slap.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the guy who wrote the seinfeld theme is the same dude who wrote the music on that AEIOU kiddy record.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That Seinfeld shit aint worth a critique,c'mon peoples.

• The Seinfeld line was actually played on keyboard, thats why it sounds so cheeze.

It was probably Larry Graham or Doug Rauch, as far as the first recording of this technique.

As a bassist, I gotta say, slap is fun as shit to play. but it's easy to go overboard with it. It can melt faces when done tastefully. but you get all these jam band cornballs with like 7 string basses who only play wanky slap lines and it gets annoying quick.

• Historically, the first guys to slap the bass were upright playing dudes like Milt Hinton.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I just referenced my "Dante's Inferno" and the slap bass canto in hell is right after the one for lawyers...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    It is kinda who cares + plus some dude in his basement that never recorded was first but..............

It's pretty well believed that it was Larry G. he was doing that in the late 60's. It basically mimics GW Theadore's story about the scratch. Larry just kinda did it once and thought "Hey that's cool I'm gonna work on it." I think it was the PBS Funk documentary where he talked about it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

Louis Johnson didn't originate bass slappin', but he definitely took it to a whole other level. Respect!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I bet it was some dude that looked like this...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I bet it was some dude that looked like this...

I immediatly thought of all that rockabilly echo slap. That is all acoustic bass. It took another 10 years for Larry Graham to do it on the electrict on a hit record. I'm not saying he was the first, but he was the first that was funky and heard around the world.

Dan

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I bet it was some dude that looked like this...

I immediatly thought of all that rockabilly echo slap. That is all acoustic bass. It took another 10 years for Larry Graham to do it on the electrict on a hit record. I'm not saying he was the first, but he was the first that was funky and heard around the world.

Dan

Yea, it's a fine line. I was thinking rockabily but it seems though they were "slapping" they would often still pull on the strings. If you just slap open palm you deaden the sting and don't get much sound. When i first read the post I was only thing about the funk thump slap style.

I guess the rockablliy is more of a slap-pull and the funk is a thumb slap. If you litterally slap (like you would slap a face or buttock) you really don't get much of a sound.

When i was a youngster and picked up my first bass I was just slapping the shit out of the thing and couldn't figure out why I didn't sound like Larry or Bootsy. Then a friend showed me how to do it with the thumb and not open palm style.