African 45's

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Floss'em and their ill sleaves if possibleanyone have some polyrythmo I have found a few african 45's while rediscovering my parent's crates. (Ill post when i get home)

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    paging K in canada...

• Hmm, Isn't that a franco release, the rumba king from zaire? Love that stuff ..

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Hmm, Isn't that a franco release, the rumba king from zaire? Love that stuff ..

Nice spotting
    Foreign releases arent off guard (colonialism lasted until the 80's in some areas )
    Unfortunately a random pic my own are at the crib

Intresting website on african 45's released in UK (dating back to 1954)

• here are some i picked up a couple weeks ago:

(peep those Orange amps!!!)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    (peep those Orange amps!!!)

what does it sound like???

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I sent K one last week, looked pretty cool. plaese to post it.

• (peep those Orange amps!!!)

what does it sound like???

Caminamicata Part 1

Caminamicata Part 2

• Options
    paging K in canada...

Francis can hold his own, too. I'll up some stuff when I return home.

Kevin.

• more on the funky side of things.... cheers

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

more on the funky side of things.... cheers

All Nigerian?

Dan

• the Bokoor one is from Ghana... the others are nigerian pressings!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Nel Oliver-the trip (fiesta)(afro-soul peep the scarf)

Safrana Toumaranke (fiesta)(soundtrack with nice cover (scroll down)

Maitrise des chanteurs a la croix d'??b??ne de Yaounde-Nzodong-Melen (fiesta)
    Religious choir with 6 brothers with balafons on the cover (scan later)

Pierre Akendegue- Olando/Ezango

Mbemb'a Munyege Nalandi- EKO (maniatakis) The guy is playing an old school hammond
    scan later

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

wow!
    nice covers on there

• that label is

• Not all from Africa... upper right corner is from Lebanon.

Bottom two are a French and a (private) Italian release but I like these covers a lot.

Center-left band is called The Black Shadows...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

any information about where it was manufactured? I wonder if it was pressed outside RSA- maybe Rhodesia? Very cool, though. i'd be interesed in seeing more pics of the book it was packaged in... approx. year?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

It is serious as fuck, and a really important document.

That shit seems fascinating,having studied modern african history this goes a length in furthering the populistic guerrilla tactics of the ANC's branches
    Wow (anyway of making this available, i am working on a colonialism themed album and would love some of this spoken word

it would be interesting to review all catalogues of cultural asscociation in the time of colonialism or even in authoritarian post-colonial rules Im sure other propaganda albums are pressed or even better secret revolutionary messages concealed in releases

Great find

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

This cant be the same Nkrumah?

• I think it is...I can't find a lot of info on that Ninth Son LP, which is weird because it has Ron Carter, Bob Cranshaw, Billy Cobham and other big names on it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I think it is...I can't find a lot of info on that Ninth Son LP, which is weird because it has Ron Carter, Bob Cranshaw, Billy Cobham and other big names on it.

Oh yeah could be

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Confirmed

"an album with Ghanian panafricanist Kwame Nkrumah entitled The Ninth Son"

holy shit never thought of that. Wow! any Mobotu mixtapes?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    it is the very same Kwame Nkrumah as the Ghanaian leader.

Mobutu mixtapes? huh?

Different country and a bloody dictator at that. there is plenty of pro-mobutu music from his period of rule- some afrobeat recordings as well- but it's not as if there was much choice in terms of cultural production in Zaire during Authenticite.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Mobutu mixtapes? huh?

Different country and a bloody dictator at that. there is plenty of pro-mobutu music from his period of rule- some afrobeat recordings as well- but it's not as if there was much choice in terms of cultural production in Zaire during Authenticite.

It is the ghanian leader. I was making a questionable joke, i was aware of mobutu and his cultural attempts at personal glorification (tv mostly) but ive always been curious about colonialism influenced musical production

Plenty of pro mobutu shit that is interesting. As iam working on a colonialism themed album and sticlty for historical purposes. Like ive menionned earlier, all of these cultural offices archives would be fascinating. Ive seen a couple of pro-colonialist movies and they we're disturbing.. would be cool to see revolution/post-independent films or records.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Mobutu mixtapes? huh?

It is the ghanian leader. I was making a questionable joke, i was aware of mobutu and his cultural attempts at personal glorification (tv mostly) but ive always been curious about colonialism influenced musical production

Plenty of pro mobutu shit that is interesting. As iam working on a colonialism themed album and sticlty for historical purposes. Like ive menionned earlier, all of these cultural offices archives would be fascinating. Ive seen a couple of pro-colonialist movies and they we're disturbing.. would be cool to see revolution/post-independent films or records.

you need to distinguish between your definitions of colonialism, post-colonialism, and neo-colonialism. Things aren't as simple as pre and post, either. Colonialism is more than a time period but also an internalization, a psychology...

Mobutu was post-independence- in fact he was behind Lumumba's assassination as his former right hand mand and military strategist. The "national authenticity" or authenticite movement would have been classified as post-independence cultural production not colonialist. It was developed by Mobutu to claim cultural autonomy- thus the name of the country changed from Congo to Zaire, streets and cities changed from french/belgian to african names in respective languages- lingala, etc. It was a tactic/guise, though, and there was nothing very revolutionary about Mobutu. It wouldn't take too long to do research on the extreme oppression and suffering he brought upon Zairean/Congolese people. "Personal glorification" does not grasp the thousands that were tortured, murdered, and silenced during his rule. Nor does it encompass the exorbitant amount of national funds that he stole from his country.

There are tons of amazing post-independence literature, films, and music from all regions of the continent including the Congo. But don't assume that revolutionary fervor in propaganda materials equated to revolutionary practice post-independence. History has shown that even the most relentless of leaders and most revolutionary of strategists become dictators in their own right- Sekou Toure, Mugabe, kenyatta, senghor, etc.

But as far as early post-independence music from the Congo- there's nowhere else to begin but with Franco, T.P. OK Jazz, Rochereau, Dr. Nico, etc. Those are the greats.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Thanks for the reply and the info (records). Although my off-hand writing may suggest otherwise Iam very knowledgeable about african history as it is my main focus in my IntDev research and my mom is an african history teacher. I look forward to further discussing issues with you in the future. although i will contend that the one party-rule of senghor although it may have been contrary to pure notions of the independence wave was by far the least ruthless. May have been france`s bitch but a lot less bad than others, say kenyatta plus he bowed out.and its arguable that senegals current ``stability`` is in part attribuable to his actions

Now as far as records i wonder if you can help me with a certain inquiry. I was aware of OK jazz and franco and will check for the aformentioned others however

Having reinvestigated the 45`s i found the fiesta releases to be distributed by sofrason but originally recorded in france. part of the international pilgrim group. Any info on this label and the deal with artists

Taking about revolution records i just checked the lyricks to the Akendegue 45 all about post-independence guerilla effects in soweto. lyricks

• Options

Floss'em and their ill sleaves if possible
    anyone have some polyrythmo

I have found a few african 45's while rediscovering my parent's crates. (Ill post when i get home)

MAlin

Funny what they call "reggae".

K in Canada.

• Options
    It appears I've misnamed a file - I'll take some more pics later.

K.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Poly-rytmo is essential. once agin check the sound way catalogue for excellent afro-funk comps/reissues

You sir are a lucky man