Favorite James Brown Moments/Songs

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
Since its record day, and JB should be appreciated every year just like Lord of the Rings, thought I'd open up a discussion.Favorite JB breakdown -- Cold Sweat pt 2 -- man that just sounds so good.Favorite JB gospel/blues song -- Public Enemy #1 -- this song makes me cry every time

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Favorite JB song of the moment-King Heroin

• Favorite JB song of the moment-King Heroin

JEAH!!!! And the last track on that album is ....

• Favorite JB song of the moment-King Heroin

didnt know whether to put that one or public enemy#1.

• Rocky IV cameo was , sun

• Favorite James Brown Moment: his dancing

• James Brown record I wish I had - Mayor Ronnie Thompson LP
    James Brown records I played almost every time I DJ'ed this year - Lee Austin - Tutti Fruitti & King Coleman - Boo Boo Song
    Fave James Brown records - Talking Loud (guitar version) & The Grunt (45 version with the extra loud maracas!!)
    Fave James Brown female singer - Tammy (Terrell) Montgomery
    Fave James Brown drummer - Jabo Starks
    Least fave James Brown Moment - anything he did with Full Force

Favorite JB song of the moment-King Heroin

JEAH!!!! And the last track on that album is ....
    You talkin' about 'Never Can Say Goodbye' right? That shit is tough.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Only one favorite James record? Damn...at this particular moment, I'll have to go with the Jungle Groove version of "Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose."

Least fave James Brown Moment - anything he did with Full Force
    Back when he was rocking them big ass yellow shades?

Least fave James Brown Moment -
    That shit was sad...

• Back when he was rocking them big ass yellow shades?

exactly

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    slightly unrelated, but I been appreciating this for about three months straight now:

(j-rocc's "james brown and friends" mix)

Didn't Dee Felice Trio do a version of this?

• Didn't Dee Felice Trio do a version of this?

I think so. I know the Dapps did.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    slightly unrelated, but I been appreciating this for about three months straight now:

yeah this mix is incredible.j-rocc cutting up james and playing soul train interview snippets in between =

yeah this mix is incredible.j-rocc cutting up james and playing soul train interview snippets in between =
    J-Rocc got the JB mixes on lock.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Favorite JB song of many moments - King Heroin

I love Sometimes as well.

• "Gonna take off my watch and ring"

• Escape-ism Part I for me: right after asking Byrd if they can get their thing out of the way, then JB calls GET DOWN!......those snare hits....and then everybody's right back in there on the key change, rock solid.

chills every time.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the moment in Lyn Collins "THINK" where everything drops out except a shaker for four beats and then BLAM.

I can't describe the feeling I get every time I hear that except: joy. like giddy fucking joy. "YES!"

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If we talking JBs fems, then the last sax bit on Party Party Party is a for me

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Only one favorite James record? Damn...at this particular moment, I'll have to go with the Jungle Groove version of "Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose."
    co-sign. i need this.

also, on that "Blind Man Can See (Extended)" intro where you here James instructing the drummer with his usual indecypherable nonsense and the drummer understands and makes it sound bangin'. "chakalakaduppalap"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    and the piano in Vicki Anderson's Message from the Soul Sisters

• In "Shhhhhhhhhh For A Little While" when JB mumbles "Gimme some respect." Epitome of badass.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    and the piano in Vicki Anderson's Message from the Soul Sisters

Actually, pretty much that whole song is bonkers, but yeah, that's a brilliant piano riff.

• - Giving shoutouts to then-hot, now-forgotten groups like The Honeycone and The Osmond Brothers in whatever song he did that in.

- Bobby Byrd's recitation about "The James Brown World"; so badass yet so oddball at the same time.

• Back when he was rocking them big ass yellow shades?

exactly

and that corny-looking ascot 'round his neck; his fashion sense was questionable in the 80's

• From "The Payback": "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!!!"

• There it is !