Puffy Vs. The LOX

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody following this shit?! DAMN!!. Post your thoughts!

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Are you talking about the publishing debacle between the two parties?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Jada sounds like he may have been at the Henny on the way over. I thought he was going to blow a bloodvessel at one point. I feel for D-Block, but it sounds to me like Puffy just tied them into one of those old-school 50/50 life-of-copyright deals, which nobody should ever sign. Elton John signed one of those back in the day, and publishing-wise he has no control over anything of his up until about 1974, I think. He still gets paid, but the publisher can use that shit in adverts, movies, TV, whatever, and Elton has no say over it. If Puffy is still getting half of D-Block's publishing, they're probably on the same kind of deal. They'd probably get paid quicker if they audited him (the label too), because I wouldn't mind betting he's under-accounted, because that's commonplace on better deals, nevr mind shiesty ones. If they're determined to get their publishing back completely, they could spend the rest of their lives doing it and still not succeed.

• no matter what they record,puffy gets paid!is it fair?well maybe you should really read a contract!!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    no matter what they record,puffy gets paid!is it fair?well maybe you should really read a contract!!!

Yeah, where were their lawyers on this one?

They'd have been much better off if they'd stuck it out on Bad Boy because they could have completed the contract a few years ago.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    is there a link to an article about this?

• http://www.ballerstatus.net/news/read/id/80525336/

I feel for Styles & Jadakiss, but yeah--they did this to themselves.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    no matter what they record,puffy gets paid!is it fair?well maybe you should really read a contract!!!

Yeah, where were their lawyers on this one?

They'd have been much better off if they'd stuck it out on Bad Boy because they could have completed the contract a few years ago.

Maybe their lawyers were going for self, and The Lox just saw a big advance and were like, "Where do we sign"? Dealing with music industry lawyers - especially American ones - used to make my heart sink back when I was trying to hustle a career in A&R. I never dealt with a single one who wasn't preoccupied with getting a bigger advance, and therefore a bigger commission. Not suggesting they don't exist - just that I've never dealt with one. They never gave a fuck about rates, for instance. You could have a perfectly cordial relationship with the act you were trying to sign, but the moment the lawyers got involved, it was "the advance needs to be bigger", or "I hope you're not trying to fuck my client". Of course, when the time comes to renegotiate a shitty deal, that means more billable hours as well. Sayin'.

• pre trial diversion

• are they on a lifetime contract with Bad Boy's publishing company? or is this about publishing for that one album? if its just the one album then this is retarded, make some new music and get new money. chalk that old deal up to experience. a businessman exploited you - thats what they do, its their job. go indie if you're not down with that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    are they on a lifetime contract with Bad Boy's publishing company? or is this about publishing for that one album? if its just the one album then this is retarded, make some new music and get new money. chalk that old deal up to experience. a businessman exploited you - thats what they do, its their job. go indie if you're not down with that.

No, the problem is that the deal apparently applies to all of their future work.

• read? real gangstas don't read.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dunno, unless you go to law school, those contracts can be fuckin confusing.

But just because they signed it shouldnt mean they are held to a fucked up deal. Puffy needs to let them go!

Hes got B.I.G.s publishing too. Paper gangster i guess, but he sounds like a huge dick.

• I guess Puff is a skilled negotiator, he has executed some very beneficial deals. I'll give him props for his skill, but he is super shady. .. I like what Jada and P did there - only so much they can do legally, so they put Puff on blast.. being a good businessman means having a good reputation, and they made him look like a shady businessman in public.

• Anyone feeling Sheek Louch's newest album?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Bitching over bad contracts you've signed, on the radio two times now[/b],just isnt gangsta.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    True. They have been griping over that shit ever since they left Bad Boy. You would figure by how tough they talk, that they would have murked Puff by now.

puff was on today and sonned em even harder.

"you aint throw refridgerators on your first beef"

"i know they not bustin a grape"

he brought in copies of their contract to show he only owns 20% of their publishing.

With the level of emotion that Jada was displaying you would've thought it was so much worse.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    What's to stop them from creating new publishing?

Would they have to change their names?

(I have know knowledge on publishing what-so-ever, just curious.)

Hot 97's website got the link up for the puffy interview.