Bootsy vs.Graham?

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Slap bass changed the game.

not always for the better IMO

no shit. if i were forming a funk band and was auditioning a bassist, any thumb-poppers would get the shaft within seconds. i wouldnt want my funk sounding like the theme from SEINFELD.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Is every funky bassist a genre defining one?

Off course not, I just named some cats I wouldn't mind having play in my funk band. I like their styles and I think they could more than handle the assignment. If I had to pick Bootsy Collins or Larry Graham, though, I'd go with Bootsy based upon his work with JB alone.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    If not a funk band, I'd have Cecil McBee up in my (insert genre here) band in a second.

LOOPY MOODS FOR DAYS, LIKE WHAT.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    The Slap bass changed the game.

not always for the better IMO

no shit. if i were forming a funk band and was auditioning a bassist, any thumb-poppers would get the shaft within seconds. i wouldnt want my funk sounding like the theme from SEINFELD.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The guy I first heard (live) slap the bass was Lester McFarland. He totally blew my mind and is a legend around here.

In the late 70's he ruled on the Portland jazz/funk/blues scene. He played in a jazz instrumental group called lights out with Pleasure drummer Bruce Carter (Bouncy Lady) and sax palyer Dennis Springer. He also played in a sometimes hornbluesrockjazz group called Esquire. He also played with all the Portland jazz & funky club groups from time to time; Jeff Lorber, Tom Grant, Mel Brown, Robert Cray, Cool'r, Slow Train.

It was well known that he spent all his money on heroin. When I ask Portland musicians about him today they just shake their heads, what a waste. So when I saw this thread I decided it was time for a google search:

Lester McFarland, bass player extraordinaire and tenor in the classic Chitlin' circuit tradition, has worked and recorded with blues masters B.B. King, Albert Collins, and Robert Cray, in addition to his better known work with jazz greats such as Joe Sample and the Crusaders, the Jeff Lorber Fusion, Larry Carlton, Chick Corea, Esther Phillips, Tony Williams, Eddie Henderson, and many other fine artists. He has been cited in both Downbeat and Bass Player magazines, as well as many other local and regional magazines and newspapers.

Turns out he's playing in a blues band in Santa Monica.

So if I can't have George Porter Jr, I pick Lester McFarland.

As a Portland footnote; a lot of Ptown guys work in the Wayne Henderson/Crusaders/Herb Albert universe: Nate Phillips, Marlon McLain, Bruce Carter and apperently Lester McFarland.

Dan

The guy I first heard (live) slap the bass was Lester McFarland. He totally blew my mind and is a legend around here.

In the late 70's he ruled on the Portland jazz/funk/blues scene. He played in a jazz instrumental group called lights out with Pleasure drummer Bruce Carter (Bouncy Lady) and sax palyer Dennis Springer. He also played in a sometimes hornbluesrockjazz group called Esquire. He also played with all the Portland jazz & funky club groups from time to time; Jeff Lorber, Tom Grant, Mel Brown, Robert Cray, Cool'r, Slow Train.

It was well known that he spent all his money on heroin. When I ask Portland musicians about him today they just shake their heads, what a waste. So when I saw this thread I decided it was time for a google search:

Lester McFarland, bass player extraordinaire and tenor in the classic Chitlin' circuit tradition, has worked and recorded with blues masters B.B. King, Albert Collins, and Robert Cray, in addition to his better known work with jazz greats such as Joe Sample and the Crusaders, the Jeff Lorber Fusion, Larry Carlton, Chick Corea, Esther Phillips, Tony Williams, Eddie Henderson, and many other fine artists. He has been cited in both Downbeat and Bass Player magazines, as well as many other local and regional magazines and newspapers.

Turns out he's playing in a blues band in Santa Monica.

So if I can't have George Porter Jr, I pick Lester McFarland.

As a Portland footnote; a lot of Ptown guys work in the Wayne Henderson/Crusaders/Herb Albert universe: Nate Phillips, Marlon McLain, Bruce Carter and apperently Lester McFarland.

Dan

Oh yeah, he was in the Funk 45 band Black And White Affair.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Wow! I never would have thought this thread would go this way. I would definetly go with Larry Graham, no question. Bootsy just became such a parody of himself after a while. Yellow Card for constant "illegal use of the "F" Word" (the F-word being funk). Yes, Bootsy, I DO wanna get Funky, now stop asking me!!! Although his work with JB was absolutley solid, Bootsy just became over-funkified. Too much George Clinton I think (although the Praxis SACRIFIST album is ridiculously good). He just became too much of a representation of "funk" and I think it got in the way. Larry Graham, on the other hand, held it DOWN with Sly and GCS was beyond reproach in my book. IMHO.

• Wow! I never would have thought this thread would go this way. I would definetly go with Larry Graham, no question. Bootsy just became such a parody of himself after a while. Yellow Card for constant "illegal use of the "F" Word" (the F-word being funk). Yes, Bootsy, I DO wanna get Funky, now stop asking me!!! Although his work with JB was absolutley solid, Bootsy just became over-funkified. Too much George Clinton I think (although the Praxis SACRIFIST album is ridiculously good). He just became too much of a representation of "funk" and I think it got in the way. Larry Graham, on the other hand, held it DOWN with Sly and GCS was beyond reproach in my book. IMHO.

Bootsy is funk incarnate. He can't help it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who is the bassist for Eddie Henderson on the REALIZATION LP.(capricorn)

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Give me more than just an intro to a song,please. I know he's nice but better than.....more examples,please.

no man, listen to me that live is tha SH*T.......You can't call that just an intro...IMHO it is the highest score reached in his whole career in music ( ) ...please let me know if you don't have chance top listen to it ...I will post an mp3 somewhere for ya

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Who is the bassist for Eddie Henderson on the REALIZATION LP.(capricorn)

Buster Williams.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Is this thread about who sucks more? Hmmmmmm...tough call.

It's amazing that 2 bassists who defined funk, 2 bassists Who championed funk, from the beginning through the glory years, the bassists for The Family Stone, Graham Central Station, The JBs, James Brown, Funkadelic, Parliment, Prince, Brides, Sweat Band, Rubber Band and on and on, are getting so little love from us. I know when all you big dudes were little dudes you were jonesin' for the Pfunk and Sly. Today we can't even say anything nice about these cats.

Let's everyone say one nice thing about Bootsy, and one nice thing about Larry.

Bootsy helped bring a more energetic rock edge to James Brown's band.

Larry kept the funk going with Graham Central Station after Sly lost it.

Dan

Hey Laser,

Actually, both Larry and Bootsy have played on a large amount of music that I enjoy (to this day). But, they are not my favorite bassists overall, even within the funk genre. I'm not dissing these bruthas because they ARE fonky, but there are simply other bassists that I enjoy more, as I've named previously. No hate, just a difference in preference.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i really dig the bass lines from jesus lizard, actually their instrumentation is dope period, they just need to get rid of the vocalist. irrelevant, but i love the baseline in spacehog's in the meantime and the one in cake's cover of i will survive. the bassist from rage against the machine did a great job in american eyes on the godzilla soundtrack, i dig dr das from asian dub foundation cause its melodic...i love cypress hill basslines, sorry for going off track. i need to pay more attention to bass and not the other kind

Hey Laser,

Actually, both Larry and Bootsy have played on a large amount of music that I enjoy (to this day). But, they are not my favorite bassists overall, even within the funk genre. I'm not dissing these bruthas because they ARE fonky, but there are simply other bassists that I enjoy more, as I've named previously. No hate, just a difference in preference.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Agreed. I also picked 2 other funky bassists in my first post. I thought your list was great, though I don't recognize about half of the names.

I'm just saying lets all say one nice thing about Larry and Bootsy.

both Larry and Bootsy have played on a large amount of music that I enjoy (to this day). I'm not dissing these bruthas because they ARE fonky

Like that.

Dan

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Now we have some voices of reason. When I asked this question,it was just to compare the two guys. But as always it morphs into something else.