Kung Fu Hustle (NRR)

Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I was really looking forward to seeing this... and I have admit, I was let down. HJ and the hommie Sam dug it, but i dunno, I just couldn't really get with it. I think maybe its the "Cantonese Comedy" style? And while Yuen Wo Ping is one of the BEST when it comes to coreography (sp?) it looked like he was running out of ideas in this movie and doing shit just for the hell of it.I won't say it was a bad movie, but after all the hype I was definitely let down.Ong Bak on the other hand, wich got almost no hype, was a KICK ASS martial arts movie. That shit had me saying "HOLY CRAP!" every 5 minutes.

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I haven't been to see it just because it's been advertised so hard, and usually things that get THAT much of a push are a little lightweight. I totally agree about the Ong Bak, though. I loved how, after they would do something cool, they would play it back for you in slow motion.

• I loved how, after they would do something cool, they would play it back for you in slow motion.

From 3 different angles! hahahaha

• snosno 332 Posts
    I dig the way the director of Ong Bak slipped messages to Steven Spielberg and Luc Besson in various scenes.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    To me the best part of Ong Bak was the end. It was soon after the dvd left my home to never return again. That entire film can be shown in around 8 minutes, well, at least the good parts.

Kung Fu hustle didn't do much for me either, but I've suggested it to more people than Ong Bak...

• Ong Bak on the other hand, wich got almost no hype, was a KICK ASS martial arts movie. That shit had me saying "HOLY CRAP!" every 5 minutes.

Living room full of people screaming upon seeing the final move in the last scene:

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

also I've had some sort of Thai/English mix of "Knives for sale! I've got knives for sale!" running through my head for the last week.

I liked Kung Fu Hustle a lot, but then again I took shit for digging Shaolin Soccer. I must have a Cantonese funny bone. I live relatively outside of the hype circle so I just knew it was coming out and it looked cool so there were no expectations. At times the action took on a "Mask" like animated quality but I could get past that. That over the top Buddha Fist at the end was insane.

To compare either of those movies with Ong Bak though is kinda like comparing "Trading Places" with "Enter The Dragon."

On a side note, last weekend I watched 4 movies (3 on DVD and 1 at the theatre) and all were non-american films. They were "Haute Tension", "Old Boy", "Ong Bak", and "Kung Fu Hustle" and really liked them all. I can only reason this to American movies suck for the most part. There's very little originality and the action and comedy are lame. All the previews at the theatre for american films were for shitty remakes of old 70s movies, sequels for films you didn't want to see the first one, or movie adaptations of comic books. It's kinda like american movies are candy and wonderbread sandwiches while the rest of the world is serving full meals.

Deep beats and deep crates,

SonicReducer

(TEAMAARON)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I dug Kung Fu Hustle. Saw it twice already. I was crying I was laughing so hard. And I don't think this is a "Cantonese" type comedy, rather than just some good old fashioned slap stick humor. I give it the thumbs up as well as Shaolin Soccer.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I like it, I have seen it a lot (downloaded screener dvd)..it is good old fashioned slap stick, it is like a live action roadrunner cartoon...best movie I have seen all year so far.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    I loved how, after they would do something cool, they would play it back for you in slow motion.

From 3 different angles! hahahaha

sorta like watching a martial arts sportscenter... hmm maybe not.

i didnt like shaolin soccer and havent seen kungfu hustle... have seen OldBoy and thats some ish yo! still, pound for pound OngBak kicks all those movies asses for 2005.

-rich

• First time posting but i think its worth noting that Kung Fu Hustle was pretty fucking cool.. I mean the whole knife scene when they are playing the guitar and shooting knives was dope... a little drawn out but still dope.

• See, i dont even think those were supposed to be knives... HJ said they were sound waves so powerfull that they cut through the air like knives. And I couldn't help but think "Damn, thats kinda dumb".

Sucks because I really wanted to like this movie. Some of it was funny I guess.

Maybe if I watched it a second time I would enjoy it more....

The comedy sorta failed with me, and the action wasn't enough to make up for it.... bah humbug!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Kung Fu Hustle is a slapstick comedy with martial arts in it. Ong Bak is an action movie with nothing but martial arts.

Comparing the two is like saying Dirty Harry was sooo much better than the Pink Panther!

• snosno 332 Posts
    Flawed as it is, I am not going to front on Kung Fu Hustle only because I've been a Stephen Chau fan ever since he started out on TV doing children program. I only have problem with the Deus Ex Machina type of ending he keeps on using since God of Cookery.