mobile dj PA recommendations?

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm thinking of investing in a PA system for parties and weddings.. Can anybody recommend something in the $800-$1000 range?I've had good experiences in the past with those self-powered JBL Eon speakers - they're easy to move around and they sounded pretty good. And it's nice to be able to plug them straight into the mixer without going through a separate amp.Has anybody had BAD experiences with these things? Or can you recommend something better?I'd definitely want to be prepared to rock a party of at least 200+ people.. Thanks!

Comments

• JBL eons are damn fine speakers. They're built like f'n tanks, sound great, and are loud as hell. I would think about a sub down the line though if you want solid low end, though the 15's have some decent low punch. Not club shaking bass, but enough to translate in a decent size venue.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i know the self powered ones are mad easy to use and everything, but i have been told by several that if you want to build a PA, the best way to do it is with passive speakers and a seperate amp. slightly more connection time, but i think you can get a better sound quality overall than with most of the self-powered ones. plus, there are less components to break(ok, you have 1 less amp, big deal).

i just scored a pair of barely used yamaha s115iv for $300 off craigslist. get an amp off ebay for ~$400, then go to guitar center or same ash and buy some stands and cables for around $200.

less than 1K for a really nice sounding system.

oh, and you should be able to rock 200. you may want to consider a sub down the line though.

let us know what you go with.

• Thanks for the advice!

oh, and you should be able to rock 200. you may want to consider a sub down the line though.

Are you refering here to the JBLs?

• Well I run a mobile, and what I use is 4 15" powered JBLs. Never had a problem with them. Also the nice thing as opposed to an amp set up is that if one amp decided to go you would still have sound from the other speaker. Of course you want the sound to sound great but of course it's not gonna be like the inside of a studio. With live sound you will always have to deal with changing envoirments. If you do go with the JBLs make sure you get them to throw in some speaker stands, these make all the diffrence. Also the warrenty is good from JBL. I also am using one of those powered mackie 15" subs. If your gonna be doing any kinda of high school, collage type things don't sleep on the sub. It gives you so much more presence. A small mobile mixer with channels to plug in mics or whatever are a good investment. It should go without sayin Serato is the truth as far as mobiles go. Also you might as well get yourself a business licence if you don't already have one and right all of that equipment off(please don't sleep on this step, makes life a lot easier in the long run). Plus don't sleep on lights. The money you spend will be worth it in the long run. Lights add to the experience of the party and to the enjoyment of guests. Trust me they will be more impressed with envoirment then if you can orbit or got that raer jem. Plus research other mobiles in the area and make sure you prices are in the market. Then market the hell out of yourself. Prep is were it's at. As far as what, when you are setting up the easier you make it on yourself you will thank yourself ten fold in the long run. My set up is pretty clean and it still takes a good couple of hours to set up proper. Neat, clean, easy, simple, backup, situated, prepared, all good things to keep in mind with mobiles. Hope that helps.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Thanks for the advice!

Are you refering here to the JBLs?

either or.

If your gonna be doing any kinda of high school, collage type things don't sleep on the sub. It gives you so much more presence.

what he said.