discuss small soul/funk 45 labels here

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Yeah--I know, I know--there are a kazillion of them.I know there is some wealth of knowledge amongst us strutters--but I propose to use this thread to discuss small labels some of us wonder about --in hopes that a fellow strutter (or two or three) may know the answer---I'm going to ask about one label for now--Spectrum Records of NYC. I found a single on saturday morning by a Lily Fields. the song "pleasure me" is by a john bennings--who google tells me was a jazz musician. 45 was produced by Bennings as well--and arranged by a Robert Banks--who was a gospel/r&b leader in the late 50s.Music is soul and one side is funk. sounds early 70s. if I can at least get a little closer to finding out what this label was all about--if there were any other releases, etc--then I'd be happy. And even if I find nothing out--still use this thread to discuss--I hope this thread gets off the ground.

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    other people to record on the label were hoagy lands, billy sharae, and lily fields has like 5 or 6 or maybe more releases on that label.

and dont be confused with the ron & the embracers records on the L.A. spectrum label. thats good too...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    billy sharae

Is he an NY artist? I found a few of the 45 around here on green and dark red labels.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    billy sharae

Is he an NY artist? I found a few of the 45 around here on green and dark red labels.

not sure to be honest. he has other releases but im not positive if hes from NY or not.

yeah green and maroon labels... good soul music. value in one of the fields, the hoagy and a little in the billy.

• So what's up with the Hour Glass label wit' the hand drawn logo, are the labels related?

I believe "Do It" came on that first....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    you see Billy Sha-rae on Spectrum all the time, ALWAYS vg/vg- in my experience... but still, they play through the noise loud and clear...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah--i have a few of the billy sha-rae single ("do it")--i guess that was on spectrum--but the label looked different.
    thanks---

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have Lily Fields - I've Forgotten How To Cry/I'll Get Along Somehow & Billy Sha-Rae - Do It/Crying Clown on the maroon Spectrum label, they are both rad, I put both sides of the Lily Fields on the 2 mixes I've posted here since I joined. I have never seen any others on this label (but New Zealand is probably kinda far from home for this label). I got them both out of the same guys collection when he gave me a huge box of 45s that he didn't know what they were & couldn't be bothered listening to them. By the looks they were unplayed record co., radio or DJ stock. I was happy to sya the least.

• I have one that I would love to find out more about. It's actually one of my favorite group soul 45s. The artist name is Brothers Unique and it is on Spectrum Sound records (I am pretty sure there is no connection with the Spectrum mentioned by others in this thread). The labels on the copy I have happen to be almost completely washed off but I can still make out the artist name and the label name and parts of the song titles and that's about it. The titles are "Gone Are The Days Of Slaves" and maybe the flip is called "Heavy Days"? Has anyone else ever seen this record or know anything about the group or label?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the lily fields i have is for 'pleasure me' /'i'll get along somehow' (sp-139) and it is on a red label--not the maroon one that i see billy sha-rae on.

• yeah--i have a few of the billy sha-rae single ("do it")--i guess that was on spectrum--but the label looked different.
    thanks---

i have a maroon label....i dig that record.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    yeah--i have a few of the billy sha-rae single ("do it")--i guess that was on spectrum--but the label looked different.
    thanks---

this is a retitled boot of the billy sha-rae tune - presumably done for the west indian market?

sha-rae was involved in a few 60s detroit productions for jack ashford & had a couple singles on the triple 'B' label.

---

• A favorite soul/funk label of mine is Nickel/Penny, from Chicago, IL (owned by Maurice Alpert). R&B deejay Richard Pegue (still on the air here) produced several sides for the company and had a unique style...because he himself was a former choirboy, he'd always stick choral voices in the background on his records (and it worked, too). You can hear them on Little Ben & the Cheers'"I'm Not Ready To Settle Down," a local soul hit in 1965 (and again in 1969, when Pegue overdubbed a subtle wah-wah guitar).

Other faves of mine from this company: "Shadows" by the South Shore Commission (psychedelic funk, long before "Free Man"); "(Pisces) Sign Of The Zodiac" by the South Suburban Electric Strings (if the Soulful Strings went whole-hog psychedelic, they'd sound like this); "This Love Of Mine," nice group harmony ballad from the Extentions (the backside was an acapella choral reading of the same song by "the Background Singers"); and the Hallelujah Chorus'"I've Got To Find A Way" from 1975, which, true to Pegue's roots, was choral soul similar to the Voices Of East Harlem. (The flip of that was "Instrumental #1," a wah-wah funk instrumental by Richard Terry & Company.)

this is a retitled boot of the billy sha-rae tune - presumably done for the west indian market?

It seems like boots were often put out to look like west indian records so they might slip under the radar of the feds more easily. That's my theory on Mighty Tom Cats - Soul Makossa and Apache by Arawak Allstars.

Hey, this is probably an early Winley boot
    So much for Uptown making it Brooklyn taking it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

It seems like boots were often put out to look like west indian records so they might slip under the radar of the feds more easily. That's my theory on Mighty Tom Cats - Soul Makossa and Apache by Arawak Allstars.

strakers was a well known west indian label though - put out alot of calypso etc, I think they are prolly still releasing records today.

exactly, very crafty!

Paging K in Canada...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    A favorite soul/funk label of mine is Nickel/Penny, from Chicago, IL (owned by Maurice Alpert). R&B deejay Richard Pegue (still on the air here) produced several sides for the company and had a unique style...because he himself was a former choirboy, he'd always stick choral voices in the background on his records (and it worked, too). You can hear them on Little Ben & the Cheers'"I'm Not Ready To Settle Down," a local soul hit in 1965 (and again in 1969, when Pegue overdubbed a subtle wah-wah guitar).

Other faves of mine from this company: "Shadows" by the South Shore Commission (psychedelic funk, long before "Free Man"); "(Pisces) Sign Of The Zodiac" by the South Suburban Electric Strings (if the Soulful Strings went whole-hog psychedelic, they'd sound like this); "This Love Of Mine," nice group harmony ballad from the Extentions (the backside was an acapella choral reading of the same song by "the Background Singers"); and the Hallelujah Chorus'"I've Got To Find A Way" from 1975, which, true to Pegue's roots, was choral soul similar to the Voices Of East Harlem. (The flip of that was "Instrumental #1," a wah-wah funk instrumental by Richard Terry & Company.)

Did you ever hear Bob from WHPK interview Richard Pegue? Fascinating stuff. Can't forget that he managed/wrote for Renaldo Domino as well.

Can't forget the Ember Carpet commercial 45 he did as well. Only available at Ember furniture when you bought from them, and went on to be a local top 10 record. I'd love to have a clean copy......

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    A favorite soul/funk label of mine is Nickel/Penny, from Chicago, IL (owned by Maurice Alpert). R&B deejay Richard Pegue (still on the air here) produced several sides for the company and had a unique style...because he himself was a former choirboy, he'd always stick choral voices in the background on his records (and it worked, too). You can hear them on Little Ben & the Cheers'"I'm Not Ready To Settle Down," a local soul hit in 1965 (and again in 1969, when Pegue overdubbed a subtle wah-wah guitar).

JP - you know I love that label, too. "I've Got To Find A Way" is a true essential. Pegue really hits that "Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love" group sweetness (more gospel, less modern). The production is ambitious but never overbearing. "Inst. # One" Is a solid flip. I'd like to see a comprehensive reissue of this outfit; It'd make for a solid label comilation, along with, say, Savern.

• yeah--i have a few of the billy sha-rae single ("do it")--i guess that was on spectrum--but the label looked different.
    thanks---

I dig it too, love the build up. I think my label is blue.

• Yeah--I know, I know--there are a kazillion of them.

I know there is some wealth of knowledge amongst us strutters--but I propose to use this thread to discuss small labels some of us wonder about --in hopes that a fellow strutter (or two or three) may know the answer---

I'm going to ask about one label for now--

Spectrum Records of NYC.
    I found a single on saturday morning by a Lily Fields. the song "pleasure me" is by a john bennings--who google tells me was a jazz musician. 45 was produced by Bennings as well--and arranged by a Robert Banks--who was a gospel/r&b leader in the late 50s.
    Music is soul and one side is funk. sounds early 70s.

if I can at least get a little closer to finding out what this label was all about--if there were any other releases, etc--then I'd be happy.

And even if I find nothing out--still use this thread to discuss--I hope this thread gets off the ground.

I got this one on Saturday thanks to my man DJ Prestige...

• Anyone know much about the yellow "CAVE" label?

• Yeah--I know, I know--there are a kazillion of them.

I know there is some wealth of knowledge amongst us strutters--but I propose to use this thread to discuss small labels some of us wonder about --in hopes that a fellow strutter (or two or three) may know the answer---

I'm going to ask about one label for now--

Spectrum Records of NYC.
    I found a single on saturday morning by a Lily Fields. the song "pleasure me" is by a john bennings--who google tells me was a jazz musician. 45 was produced by Bennings as well--and arranged by a Robert Banks--who was a gospel/r&b leader in the late 50s.
    Music is soul and one side is funk. sounds early 70s.

if I can at least get a little closer to finding out what this label was all about--if there were any other releases, etc--then I'd be happy.

And even if I find nothing out--still use this thread to discuss--I hope this thread gets off the ground.

I got this one on Saturday thanks to my man DJ Prestige...

MP3s here... http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/05/angela_mp3s.html

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Anyone ever heard of Mr G records? I got an ace hammond boogaloo 45 on the lable by Chaklit Milk Revue.

• A favorite soul/funk label of mine is Nickel/Penny, from Chicago, IL (owned by Maurice Alpert). R&B deejay Richard Pegue (still on the air here) produced several sides for the company and had a unique style...because he himself was a former choirboy, he'd always stick choral voices in the background on his records (and it worked, too). You can hear them on Little Ben & the Cheers'"I'm Not Ready To Settle Down," a local soul hit in 1965 (and again in 1969, when Pegue overdubbed a subtle wah-wah guitar).

JP - you know I love that label, too. "I've Got To Find A Way" is a true essential. Pegue really hits that "Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love" group sweetness (more gospel, less modern). The production is ambitious but never overbearing. "Inst. # One" Is a solid flip. I'd like to see a comprehensive reissue of this outfit; It'd make for a solid label comilation, along with, say, Savern.

Another good one on Nickel: Joyce Williams "The First Thing I Do in the Morning."
    That Hallelujah Chorus record is amazing until the lead singer goes a little overboard w/ his falsetto towards the end. There's a false ending before that where I wish they would have opted out. Still good stuff, tho.

• A favorite soul/funk label of mine is Nickel/Penny, from Chicago, IL (owned by Maurice Alpert). R&B deejay Richard Pegue (still on the air here) produced several sides for the company and had a unique style...

Did you ever hear Bob from WHPK interview Richard Pegue?

I was there when it happened! I must have asked as many questions off-mic as Bob did on it. (At the time, I had a southern-soul radio show that came on after Bob's program.)

Can't forget the Ember Carpet commercial 45 he did as well. Only available at Ember furniture when you bought from them, and went on to be a local top 10 record. I'd love to have a clean copy......

I'd love to have a copy in any shape at this point! Also gotta add that it was sung by Sidney Barnes from the Rotary Connection!

thanks---

I dig it too, love the build up. I think my label is blue.

Don't sleep on Billy Sha-Rae's follow up to "do it", "Let's Do It Again".
    Much better, harder funk IMO, with another fantastic build-up part. I have this on blue and maroon Spectrum labels, and also on a label called "triple-b", which is a louder pressing, earlier perhaps?