French hiphop(record day related)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I was going to post up a historique about french hiphop's origins, landmark groups, notable events,oriducers, couple of mp3's etc... for record day. However, i will see if i have the time because school is piling up (good record day posts and dap kings show on wed are motivation buyt is it enough?)Bottom line is I wanted to check for interest on the topic and if anyone had a subject to contribute.So far iwas going to cover classic grounds: Iam begiining 90's to new sound), double dragon's production, akh,shuri, etcNTM, the controversies,censorshi[ IV my peopleFF rise and fallCercle rouge, minister amer, passi, bisso, arseniqMC solaar, saian supaAny takers, do yall know this stuff already?other subjects...allez!

Comments

• That would be really good, I've picked up a few french hip hop cd's and comps
    (IAM, Supreme NTM, La Haine ost Taxi ost, etc) over the last few years but don't know much about the scene what's and happening at the moment.
    Any info/recomendations on spots to pick up 12's etc on the net would be much appreciated.
    Peas, IM

• passi

always thought that guy was nice.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    passi

always thought that guy was nice.

co-sign check out bisso na bisso(afro-hiphop consortium he started), minister AMER (earlier groundbreaking group)and i recomend his first album over his new stuff.

The scene definetly has strong players

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I've got knowledge of MC Solaar only, Bapt is French though and does dope producing...PAGING BAPT!
    gNAT

• I would be interested. I can't download anything though, but info is always good. I had a roomate in college who was really into french hip hop. I have a CD of stuff he burned for me, but I don't know any of the titles. Whats the track where they say merd (shit) however you spell it like every other word? I like that song.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I would be interested. I can't download anything though, but info is always good. I had a roomate in college who was really into french hip hop. I have a CD of stuff he burned for me, but I don't know any of the titles. Whats the track where they say merd (shit) however you spell it like every other word? I like that song.

The scene is very strong and looking at its history creates an interesting comparison with US hiphop. You may need to give me more info on the track and iam definitely paging all frenchspeaking strutters...(paris riot threads hello!)

All right i hope i will be able to post about this stuff (to do it correclty will take time) but contributions are always better

By the way anyone looking for an easily accesible intro should try and watch the flicks La haine, taxi (1 is the best) and ma-6-t va craquer. Excellent movies with killer sdtks

• check for a kid named 20syl, dude is the future.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

who later became...

• rorororo 22 Posts
    check for a kid named 20syl, dude is the future.

true !!!
    and his group called "hocus pocus"

you can check "bunzen" too (bapt does prods for them), " seisme" , "enz" , "triptik" etc.....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    check for a kid named 20syl, dude is the future.

true !!!
    and his group called "hocus pocus"

you can check "bunzen" too (bapt does prods for them), " seisme" , "enz" , "triptik" etc.....

Any of you cats gonna contribute anything if i post on rap francais on friday?

• If you know anything in the likes of The L'??cole du micro D'argent LP or some of the shurikin ish like samourai recommend me something homie!

Bapt's CD with them Stones Throw joints has been rotating here for a while.

Good looking out, homie! There are some nice joints on that CD Keep em coming...

Kinda got me back on the old French stuff.

I just love the production on the L'??cole du micro D'argent. Somehow they lost their sound really fast and the latest IAM LP was pretty too..

I don't know alot of French so I hardly listen to French rap. But damn yo these Frenchies got some nice beats

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

How rare is that Mo Wax? I don't come across much of that stuff at all anymore.

I also would like to learn more about the French hip-hop scene. My exposure is limited sadly to MC Solaar: His contribution to Jazzmattaz and a live album I picked up which has quite a few nice moments.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    im from NTM...i started IV My People too...was a founder. Now my company is 707. Double Gold is what we did last year. Voil??. French Hip-Hop. My repertoire is kinda huge. All the people you named, i worked with or produced their LPs. Like the Busta LP you posted...

http://mapage.noos.fr/dustyhandz/id3.htm

all those i did 100%...but it's nothing. The best is yet to come!!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    im from NTM...i started IV My People too...was a founder. Now my company is 707. Double Gold is what we did last year. Voil??. French Hip-Hop. My repertoire is kinda huge. All the people you named, i worked with or produced their LPs. Like the Busta LP you posted...

Nique Ta Mere? No way...no translate that for the kids at home!

• One from my acid jazz days. Some nice tracks on here.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    One from my acid jazz days. Some nice tracks on here.

Jimmy Jay is the shit...I want that...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    hehe...that was a front tho'...since i got intelligent people listening, i can break it down THE WAY it's supposed to be.

NTM meant literally Fuck Your Mom (as in Nique Ta Mere), but the meaning is not fuck your mom. It's one of these ghetto insult we have. It is exactly how we say Motherfuck You. And that's a lot, coz i heard the midget Jermaine Dupri one day in a interview he did in France talking about how he would have named a group like that if it was in America. But it's not that serious. No harm to no mom...It's about you. Not your mom. Fuck you.

But translation makes things worse than what they really are...Like in USA y'all thought it was riots. But it wasn't riots as y'all define it in America. It was more of "social movement from a particular niche of population"...lol.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'm down if you have some MRF (Movement Rap Francophone) MP3s. That video used to be on Music Plus all the time...Was the song "Bounjour La Police" a rap tune? Can't remember how that goes, except for the chorus.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I'm down if you have some MRF (Movement Rap Francophone) MP3s. That video used to be on Music Plus all the time...Was the song "Bounjour La Police" a rap tune? Can't remember how that goes, except for the chorus.

I dont know mrf, bonjour la police was a comedy song done by Rock et belles oreilles

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    If you know anything in the likes of The L'??cole du micro D'argent LP or some of the shurikin ish like samourai recommend me something homie!

Bapt's CD with them Stones Throw joints has been rotating here for a while.
    Good looking out, homie! There are some nice joints on that CD Keep em coming...
    Kinda got me back on the old French stuff.
    I just love the production on the L'??cole du micro D'argent. Somehow they lost their sound really fast and the latest IAM LP was pretty too..

I don't know alot of French so I hardly listen to French rap. But damn yo these Frenchies got some nice beats

I love`s me some stones throw but that`s another story youre dead on about IAM and the production. Get akhenathon first album meteque et mat but also some Freeman (exactly that shurikn vibe)his album`s beats are straight fire. If not early ntm. I could have alot more but start with that

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I dont know mrf, bonjour la police was a comedy song done by Rock et belles oreilles

Do u have any French B? I think the board needs to hear "Je Me Souviens".

"DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN WE WERE FRENCH!?!" The accordian sample was dope.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Jesus man that`s sick. Ever since my sister brought me back the first IV MYpeeps EP (eenie mini mo on it +instr) i loved that shit. I think Shen is one of the truest and most skilled kats in the french game and i love how you guys kept th real heads like zoxea and some new faces like salif (that salif outro always gets me) I saw bustaflex in concert a few years back with my man organizing the hiphop4efer fets (were you there). Keep me posted on the new stuff.

Ill do NTM justice in my post friday. (cue the joey starr grunt!)

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hehe...that was a front tho'...since i got intelligent people listening, i can break it down THE WAY it's supposed to be.
    NTM meant literally Fuck Your Mom (as in Nique Ta Mere), but the meaning is not fuck your mom. It's one of these ghetto insult we have. It is exactly how we say Motherfuck You. And that's a lot, coz i heard the midget Jermaine Dupri one day in a interview he did in France talking about how he would have named a group like that if it was in America. But it's not that serious. No harm to no mom...It's about you. Not your mom. Fuck you.
    But translation makes things worse than what they really are...Like in USA y'all thought it was riots. But it wasn't riots as y'all define it in America. It was more of "social movement from a particular niche of population"...lol.

So the name of your group is Fuck you? SOunds french.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I just read about them man thats pretty old school for me in quebec rap any KCLMNOP

But for real i should check that out thanks. A lot of good montreal producers too. Architekt are killin it. Recent song with faf larage is the shit

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

It does look like izm707 is the man to go to about french hip hop though.

How about 1 album? WHats the best one in your opinion? Im willing to check out 1.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I just read about them man thats pretty old school for me in quebec rap any KCLMNOP

But for real i should check that out thanks. A lot of good montreal producers too. Architekt are killin it. Recent song with faf larage is the shit

Le rap francophone doit son existence ?? un autre groupe montr??alais, les French B. (Jean-Robert Bisaillon et Richard Gauthier) : ?? Je m'en souviens ?? (1989) prenait pour cible la loi 101 sur le bilinguisme. Vinrent ensuite Mouvement rap francophone (Kool Rock, alias Ghislain Proulx, et Jay Tree, alias Jean Tarzi), avec ?? M.R.F. est arriv?? ?? (1990), puis le Boyfriend (Stephen Ch??trit), avec ?? Rapper chic ?? (d??but 1991). Quant au musulman blanc Malik Shaheed (John Morrow), de Montr??al, il a ??crit des chansons politiquement engag??es - en espagnol, fran??ais et anglais.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

"Le rap francophone doit son existence ?? un autre groupe montr??alais, les French B. (Jean-Robert Bisaillon et Richard Gauthier) : ?? Je m'en souviens ?? (1989) prenait pour cible la loi 101 sur le bilinguisme. Vinrent ensuite Mouvement rap francophone (Kool Rock, alias Ghislain Proulx, et Jay Tree, alias Jean Tarzi), avec ?? M.R.F. est arriv?? ?? (1990), puis le Boyfriend (Stephen Ch??trit), avec ?? Rapper chic ?? (d??but 1991). Quant au musulman blanc Malik Shaheed (John Morrow), de Montr??al, il a ??crit des chansons politiquement engag??es - en espagnol, fran??ais et anglais."

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

It does look like izm707 is the man to go to about french hip hop though.

How about 1 album? WHats the best one in your opinion? Im willing to check out 1.

For a all around classic you should check l`ecole du micro d`argent from IAM but for a early 90`s type vibe check paris sous les bombes from ntm. Supreme NTM is also recommeded actually i think you should check that one. Maybe not ``the`` best but bangin beats that shall please your ear.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    izm what songs have you produced. was it the classic sample style `touche pas a ma musique, qui veut la peau de mon crew (fucking adore those tracks) or the more teched up new sound of IV my people like the EP (present tant que mes gars for example

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Wow! "a historique about french hiphop's origins"...

pcmr, I won't download your mp3s man.
    :LOL:
    No, that's a good idea but I don't know where to start...
    (I'll try to contribute)

MoWax...
    Yeah! First MoWax releases are dope!!!
    But not HipHop

roro, posts:3, do you play bongo?

Izm,
    Yeah! Ask him what is French HipHop,
    he knows (better than me) the deal.

Lemme ask you (all) something.
    Do you understand the lyrics?
    If so, you should check out this site:
    http://psysheek.club.fr/index.htm