So... the subgenre thread got me thinking

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I am not a jungle or drum n bass fan, but every so-often i hear something I like and I wonder what else is out there that is in a similar vein.I guess I'm asking anyone who knows early 90s jungle stuff to tell me what is similar to: T-POower - Horny Mutant JazzThe drum programming is amazing on this and have yet to hear anything that really sounds like this. Can anyone recomend something?

Comments

• You need to check out Ming and FS - hip-step? I think is what some would call it, I just call it dope. Those guys freakin' kill it, and their 2x4 DJ sets are

I would start with Hells Kitchen to get a real good idea of where they are coming from...

• Of course, if you don't already have Luke Vibert's PLUG alias project, YOU NEED THIS.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Mmmm, both of those were mentioned in my ISH. Re: the sub-jawnres thread, other Squarepusher goodies to listen to include his remix of DJ Food's "Scratch Yer Head" from the Flexistentialsim comp and the "Red Hot Car" single. During the mid-nineties heyday, there was a tonne of good jungle produced that involved heavy drum programming and lots of sub-bass, some by one-hit-wonder bedroom producers and others by established names still producing today. Some of my favourites that I'd recommend include;

Mayhem "Blue Notez/Nasty Funk" single
    DJ Food "Fungle Junk"
    Wagon Christ "Extreme Possibilities" Luke Vibert remix
    Funky Technicians (Total Science's early alias) "Air Tight" single (still appearing on recent mix cds by big-name DJs)
    Parallax "Aquamarine/Deep Purple"
    Astralasia "The Outside" Somatik edit
    FlatLiner "The Big Bang" (Liftin' Spirits remix)/"No Boundaries" (Origin Unknown remix)
    Ils & Solo unknown? Timeless Records 026
    Funky Technicians unknown? Timeless Records 027
    DJ Crystal "Warpdrive"/"Meditation"
    System Ex "Mind Games"/"say It"
    Ed Rush "Check Me Out"
    Alex Reece "The Groove"
    3rd Party "Screwface" (pts 2 + 3 are the good versions)
    D'Cruze "Lonely"/"Chronic Breakz" (and some other good singles on Sub Bass)
    Lick Back Organistation "Manic Musik"
    Sub Plates volume 4 - the first three are a bit hardcore for me
    The Noise of Art "Rollin' Deep" Smokey Joe remixes
    Wax Doctor "Kid Caprice"
    Hopa & Bones "So Sweet"
    Foul Play - almost anything by Rob Playford (he engineered Goldie's "Timeless" LP)
    Underground Crew & Cool Hand Flex "Melody Madness"
    All of Photek's early Form & Function series 1-6 on PTK records
    and a shit load of white labels by unknown artists....

Oh, and "Piano Tune" by Peshay on GLR.

And "I'm In The Mood" by Dillinja.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Photek[/b] Ni Ten Ichi Ryu
    anything by Omni Trio[/b]

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    guys... thankyou very much!

I'm definitely gonna hunt down some of those releases.

• Best drum programming ever imho:

Lee Smith - Entropy

Edited to post the song

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    NOBODY LISTENS TO TECHNO!!!

• ok so drum and bass has changed a lot within the last couple of years. there was a tune put out by Marcus Intallex and ST Files called How You Make Me Feel on 31 Records that set a new tone for drum and bass. that shit flipped the direction everyone was going in with the whole dark mashup tech heavy metal sound and said drum and bass can be smooth and still crush the dance floor. that shit like the tpower tune you mentioned is hot but now there are a ton of people who do shit like that all those subgenre-ists call it liquid or soulful dnb (back then they were calling it jazzstep or whatever) but here are some cats you need to check out for on the smooth tip [in no particular order]:

Marcus Intallex & ST Files [M.I.S.T]
    High Contrast
    Calibre
    MIST + Calibre = MISTiCAL
    Mathematics
    Influx UK
    Peshay
    Ez Rollers
    Klute

plus countless others. just a ton of people doing shit now on more of a smooth tip.

go to www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra and check the DJ Flight show. She is serious. Top notch mixing and track selection. Plus they list the tracks she plays which are normally a ton of dubz.

For me you can never go wrong with the first four on my list.

• Options
    Peace to my cousin DJ Wally aka PishPosh. Check for him too, and anything by the Burner Brothers.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    there's an album called "Drum and Bass for Papa" by a cat named Plug also known as Luke Vibert.

This album seriously did it for me about 7 to 8 years ago. This is on that blunted out jazzy style that makes me sysed about dnb. You could also consider this "intelligent drum and bass". But this is the shit that you can spark one up to and get lost in the beats.

If you're on the more dub ragga/jungle tip then you should check out DR. Israel.

lots of influences on this album ranging from breaks/ragga/roots/jungle and moreso...

dope shit for real. This album was on repeat for months on end.

Highly recommended.

respect.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    i listend to d&b heavely from like 94 to 98 (or something like that) i mostly listened to reinforced stuff, dudes did it totally on their own and never tried to hook up with a major (which i respect) and did some of the most innovative and most artistic stuff in the genre, tings that i think are classic from them are...

a ground breaking album and still stands up to the test of time

AMAZING!!!

these last three came out right about the time i stopped listening to d&b and to me kind of a pinnicle of the genre, i have heard nothing new that has matched these

if you are really into breaks this must be heard, the virtual drummer

off topic:
    reinforced also had a techno side label that put out some of the deepest electronic music to have ever graced my ears...

these two comps eptiomise my favorite sounds of techno, 808s 909s and warm and soothing synths, had a lot of detroit people on them as well as other midwesterns (titonton, morgan geist before he starting sucking italian disco dick, dan bell) if you ever see them i suggest giving them a listen, great late night expressway music)

• Paradox is rediculous. There are a whole slew of producers new and old going to the whole edited chopped breaks bit. Fanu is some Finnish dude who is making some noise and nice tracks. Cool thing is Paradox still works with an Amiga and an Akai sampler. Dude is the truth when it comes to chopping breaks.

Alpha Omega puts out so much crap that you send him some money he sends you a new CD every month we new tracks that will never see the light of day on any label.

Most people think of Drum and Bass as some pacifier sucking vicks inhaling etard shit but most dnb parties or club nights are far from that shit.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I am very picky about d&b, a lot of it is noise garbage but when it's great it really hits the spot (maybe that's true of most genres). The new breed of guys mentioned above like marcus intalex are really doing it for me. One name not mentioned but deserves all the kudos is Nu:tone.......if you haven't heard his stuff I highly recommend it. It's in the "liquid funk" genre but not on some urban lounge snooze tip. Check out his album "Brave Nu World", great stuff for the dancefloor.

I have to cosign w/ 3rdstream on Reinfoced. IMO, 4 Hero are hands down the best artist/producers/arrangers to emerge from the 90's.

The other sub genre that is getting a lot of mentions are the dudes from Brazil (Drumagick, Marky, XRS, etc). I cannot wait for the Patife album but for a good intro check his "cool steps" mix album.

http://www.soulr.co.uk/ (marcus intalex's label)

http://www.hospitalrecords.com/ (nu:tone, london elektricity, etc)

here's a mp3 of my favourite Patife track, it's a rmx of Wilson Simoninha's "Mais Um Lamento". Yes he is indeed Wilson Simonal's son.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    was reinforced a good label for d&b? i thought 4 hero was on there.

i'm really clueless on this genre.

was reinforced a good label for d&b? i thought 4 hero was on there.

i'm really clueless on this genre.

YES[/b]

yes, it's marc mac and dego's label

other non reinforced d&b lps in enjoy(ed)