Dope country albums?

CherChezLaPLANCherChezLaPLAN 340 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
Any recommendations?

Comments

• Any recommendations?

Get some best-ofs from Dick Curless, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, George Jones (stick to his 50's and 60's recordings if you can't stand string sections), Buck Owens, Hank Williams, Carl & Pearl Butler, Merle Haggard, Mel Street, Webb Pierce, Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West (shit-hot country instrumentals) and also get a few various-artists compilations, if you're just starting out.

If you're wondering where the "raers" are after you graduate Country 101:
    - O.B. McClinton's[/b] Obie From Senatobie (I've big-upped him many a time on this list; he's a black country singer who recorded for a Stax sub-label, Enterprise, so don't be surprised if he accidentally turns up in the soul bins)
    - Dave Dudley's[/b] Truck Drivin' Son-Of-A-Gun (also look out for his biggest hit, "Six Days On The Road," on any anthology of country oldies)
    - Orville Couch's[/b] Hello Trouble (country music on Vee Jay! and really good! reissued on CD if you don't see the album out in the field)

Some common albums that aren't hits compilations:
    - John Anderson[/b], 2 and Wild & Blue(good stuff, don't let the fact that these are from the 80's scare you)
    - Waylon Jennings[/b], Honky-Tonk Heroes and The Ramblin' Man

I'm trying to stay away from listing country-rock artists like Gram Parsons - he's good, but you gotta hear the real shit. HOWEVER, I'll make an exception for the two 70's Waylon albums listed above; that's country-rock from the country side (NOT the rock side, like Ryan Adams, Iron & Wine, Kasey Chambers and all them other posers).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've been wanting to step up my country collection.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Any recommendations?

Get some best-ofs from Dick Curless, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, George Jones (stick to his 50's and 60's recordings if you can't stand string sections), Buck Owens, Hank Williams, Carl & Pearl Butler, Merle Haggard, Mel Street, Webb Pierce, Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West (shit-hot country instrumentals) and also get a few various-artists compilations, if you're just starting out.

- O.B. McClinton's[/b] Obie From Senatobie (I've big-upped him many a time on this list; he's a black country singer who recorded for a Stax sub-label, Enterprise, so don't be surprised if he accidentally turns up in the soul bins)
    - Dave Dudley's[/b] Truck Drivin' Son-Of-A-Gun (also look out for his biggest hit, "Six Days On The Road," on any anthology of country oldies)
    - Orville Couch's[/b] Hello Trouble (country music on Vee Jay! and really good! reissued on CD if you don't see the album out in the field)

- John Anderson[/b], 2 and Wild & Blue(good stuff, don't let the fact that these are from the 80's scare you)

I'm trying to stay away from listing country-rock artists like Gram Parsons - he's good, but you gotta hear the real shit. HOWEVER, I'll make an exception for the two 70's Waylon albums listed above; that's country-rock from the country side (NOT the rock side, like Ryan Adams, Iron & Wine, Kasey Chambers and all them other posers).

Listen to this man. Dave Dudley, MN represent!! Deepest voice in C&W

Also to add

If you are going to have any appreciation of C&W at all, get Hank Williams 40 Greatest Hits[/b], or you are missing a cornerstone of modern American music.

Jerry Reed[/b]-East Bound and Down
    Merle Travis[/b] - any Capitol anthology is worth tracking down, but look for one called "The Merle Travis Guitar"...amazing instrumentals.
    Charlie Rich[/b]-Behind Closed Doors and the Sun Sessions
    Willie Nelson/B>-Sings Kristofferson
    Louvin Brothers[/b]-any comprehensive anthology will do

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Any recommendations?

Also to add

If you are going to have any appreciation of C&W at all, get Hank Williams 40 Greatest Hits[/b], or you are missing a cornerstone of modern American music.

Merle Travis[/b] - any Capitol anthology is worth tracking down, but look for one called "The Merle Travis Guitar"...amazing instrumentals.

Thanx...............can you cop most classic C&W on wax?

• Any recommendations?

Also to add

Yes, for cheap too. And usually in great condition, a lot of times they look unplayed (around here, anyway).

My favorite country shit is Jerry Lee Lewis's shit from the late '60s/early 70's.

• Charlie Daniels Band, either the early Kama Sutra albums, or of course the Epic albums, such as Saddle Tramp[/b]:

Some of the songs have some serious grooves, and he would often come out with 13 minute songs, so he was willing to explore the possibilities. All of his stuff is fairly easy to find.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Any recommendations?

Also to add

Nothing but good advice here.

One caveat; MGM added stereo effects and instruments to Hank Williams lps. Be sure to buy only mono Hank Williams albums. I would look for 80s pressings.

Dan

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    George Jones

Attached files

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Carter Family

Attached files

• I'm sure somebody's going to call out the racist bullshit this guy's been putting out for years which I'm not even going to attempt to defend. All I'll say is this is a different man on these two albums. Equally as demented, but not hateful. He was in his early 20s and just released from prison where he went on to record for SSS International. The first album is a straight blues record with heavy-hitting Nashville session men like Charlie McCoy. Lots of prison songs, drug references ("taking blood from my heroin veins"), and hoodoo imagery ("Conjure Man").

This one's impossible to find but so worth it IMO. Just two songs, "The beginning" and "The end" each taking up a side. Basically, it's Coe on acid with an acoustic guitar talking about the concrete jungle and all it's thieves, pimps, and hustlers.

Going along with Pickwick's OB McClinton is Otis Williams and the Midnight Cowboys. Pretty straight honky tonk/outlaw style (no strings) with George Jones and Tom T Hall covers. There's also one song that's funky (a la Jerry Reed, not Area Code 615)

Porter Wagoner's just good

Hank Snow is good if you want to go back to the early honky tonk sound that includes female backing vocals and slow waltz type songs. A little more pop oriented.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    YES, CARTER FAMILY

• Soulful country music
    Attached files

• Porter Wagoner's just good

Been looking for Porter's LP with the track "Rubber Room" on it. It is psych as hell!!!

DOPE COUNTRY: Again, you can't go wrong with Doug Sahm.

• awallawall 673 Posts

SLEPT ON

• Porter Wagoner's just good

Been looking for Porter's LP with the track "Rubber Room" on it. It is psych as hell!!!

DOPE COUNTRY: Again, you can't go wrong with Doug Sahm.

Yeah, that Porter Wagoner song is on an album called What Ain't to Be Just Might Happen. Have you listened to the lyrics? He's talking from the perspective of being trapped in other people's heads. Good album too. Kind of a country concept LP. It's about half "what the fuck" songs and half straight pedal steel country.

• if anybody is ever rolling through west texas i could point you to the illest country record backroom around ...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Any possibility of getting this on MP3??

• if anybody is ever rolling through west texas i could point you to the illest country record backroom around ...

Ooh, ooh, ooh.
    Attached files

• Any possibility of getting this on MP3??

Give me a few days

• Been looking for Porter's LP with the track "Rubber Room" on it. It is psych as hell!!!

Yeah, that Porter Wagoner song is on an album called What Ain't to Be Just Might Happen. Have you listened to the lyrics? He's talking from the perspective of being trapped in other people's heads. Good album too. Kind of a country concept LP. It's about half "what the fuck" songs and half straight pedal steel country.

Thanks! I've had trouble finding what album it's on.

• Thanks! I've had trouble finding what album it's on.

And I just found it for $4.95
    Never thought I would buy a country LP of e-bay.

Cool deal. Enjoy!

• "my life is now complete"

• Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information.

I'm so grateful right now.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

another springfield mo great

"rubber room" rocks !

must be something in springfield's water supply ?

(gary attkinson)

"rubber room" rocks !

(gary attkinson)

I just bought a Corrilions CD Saturday. Was that you selling it?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

"rubber room" rocks !

(gary attkinson)

north carolina is the place*
    yes, it was i
    great to meet you
    holler next time & i'll hit you with some cd-rs i travel with

the link is marlin's own site, he's big time now
    i still have a small quanity of his titles
    at the old rasslin price

* soulmarcossa & gene b the record machine in the house
    with dealers & folls like atlanta's richard chisolm & ted ross
    dallas dave the new black panther
    richmonds own super kool craig williams & wild man john woods in the same show !!
    north carolina's own lou stanley & matt stacxashiz
    baltimore micro dot dave
    + hill folk selling raers for $1, $2 or $3
    i heart nc !

"rubber room" rocks !

(gary attkinson)

north carolina is the place*
    yes, it was i
    great to meet you
    holler next time & i'll hit you with some cd-rs i travel with

the link is marlin's own site, he's big time now
    i still have a small quanity of his titles
    at the old rasslin price

richmonds own super kool craig williams & wild man john woods in the same show !!
    baltimore micro dot dave
    i heart nc !

I figured that had to be you...too much of a coincidence. Good to meet you

Now how about that Abner Jay...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    baltimore micro dot dave
    i heart nc !

What the hell did yawl come up on!??!

I talked to Gene Sat. night, he told he came up on some good stuff but it didn't sound like crazy raers were around...

Please to inform, I was too broke to even consider going to the shows...

• * soulmarcossa & gene b the record machine in the house
    baltimore micro dot dave
    i heart nc !

What the hell did yawl come up on!??!

I talked to Gene Sat. night, he told he came up on some good stuff but it didn't sound like crazy raers were around...

Please to inform, I was too broke to even consider going to the shows...

I don't know what he's talking about. Some guy did have Motor Booty Affair, It's Just Begun, and Mother Popcorn in his dollar bin. Other than that I just got a bunch of 5-20 dollar records I'd been looking for.