ever learn anything from a record?

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I've been through many fellow DJs crates and have noticed many 'self improvement', 'speak italian' or 'learn how to...' type records. I know they have them for scratch samples and what not, but Im curious if anyone has listened to these things and actually learned somthing from them. Anyone?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    how to be a good crack dealer

never get high on your own supply

• I've been through many fellow DJs crates and have noticed many 'self improvement', 'speak italian' or 'learn how to...' type records. I know they have them for scratch samples and what not, but Im curious if anyone has listened to these things and actually learned somthing from them. Anyone?
    I kinda liked this "Think and Grow Rich" Record I got. It has Earl Nightingale reading parts of Napolean Hill's work. I think it has some pearls of wisdom. The book has sold more then a few copies. I kinda like Earls voice, especially when he starts talking bout the infinte powers of the mind. Whoohahaha.

• Yes. I have an exercise record by the infamous Debbie Drake, and the liner notes say a woman should always dress accordingly and put on proper makeup:

Checklist for keeping your husband happy:

1. Firm and graceful body.

2. Be at home when he arrives. (If you must work, try to arrange it so you're home first.)

3. Clothes, sexy - for your evenings home.

4. Be interested in him and the things he does.

5. A good conversationalist.

6. A bright smile over morning coffee.

7. Nice voice (keep it soft and musical; also a pretty laugh.)

8. Excess fat (taboo).

9. Well-set hair (brushed and clean).

10. Mentally alert (try reading).

11. Pin-curls (if they are a must, pin up after the lights are out and wear a bed cap.)

12. Perfume - just for him, when he's home.

13. A regular manucure.

14. A weekly pedicure.

Exercise records are funny to me, but they always make for good spoken samples. Or this one from the 70's about dieting, and it teaches its listeners how to chew. Now that I didn't know.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    how to be a good crack dealer

Also, lots of good relationship advice in my rap crates.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Yes. I learned my first lessons about the birds and the bees (procreation) from a record my Dad brought home from his school to teach my brother about sex. It was a gatefold sleeve with a sex ed for schools manual pasted inside, kinda like how the Limelight label had the crazy liner notes in their jazz LPs.

I imagine there are several versions of that kind of thing around. My dad was a speech pathologist and special ed teacher, and my mom was a gym teacher, so they had those kind of instructional records around all the time. I learned LOTS from records, literally.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    HJ tried a "learn to bellydance" one. It was bad. real bad. then again we were bored.

• how to be a good crack dealer

Also, lots of good relationship advice in my rap crates.

or like

or like

Which one?

• Check the Soulstrut archives for my response - "20 Things Crate Digging Taught Me About Life" (Feb. 22, 2005).

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I learned how to multiply from a record...

A teacher of mine used to play it OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. To this day I have to go through the different rhymes for each number in my head when multiplying. I need to find all copies of that record, and lock them up in my wine cellar so no child will be subject to it ever again.

• Also, lots of good relationship advice in my rap crates.

Some of my favorite lessons from rap records:
    I ain't the type that gets all mushy
    I like to sit back and watch them eat each other's pussy

You're lying on you're back with your head on the edge of the bed
    The booty's two feet from your head
    Should you:
    A) take the time to find a condom
    B) you walk right over and you pound 'em
    C) tell her that you want her love,
    Well the answer is D) all of the above
    So you're freakin', the furniture's squeakin'
    She's tweakin', sayin' that she's weak in the knees
    Cheek to cheek, and pound for pound
    You're taxin' it and waxin' it and workin' it around
    'Til the booty starts makin' that clappin' sound
    Which is cool, but your friends are chillin' in the other room
    The clappin's getting louder, you don't want them to clown you
    In this situation, what do you do
    A) you, plain and simply, back up off her
    B) you hit it just a little bit softer
    C) you take it out and put it in het butt
    Well, D) is what I do, so, yo, listen up
    I put a towel on the floor by the two inch gap under the door
    Now they can't see me any more
    Check the locks so they can't clock, but they can listen
    There'll be no bargin' in and there'll be no dissin'
    Gettin' back to my mission
    Break out the whipped cream and the cherries, then I go through all the fly positions
    My head under her leg under my arm under her toe
    She says "I like it when you scream, baby let yourself go"
    I hit it and split it, lick it and quit it
    After the ride, put my clothes on and walk outside
    And before anybody gets a chance to speak
    I say "Yo, don't say nuttin', I guess I'm just a freak!"

Yo, I like my power-U warm, study Islam
    Play it off, if my wife call, you're my cousin Dawn

Drinking vodka, Absolut, sipping Tanqueray
    Mc's jump off, I stung your rectum like a stingray
    Girls heinie-wipe, MC's say my style is hype
    Pussies relax, I'd rather fuck them with a cordless mic

• I learned about what makes a good slapshot from the Guy LaFleur disco record.

I recently scored the French version, so now I'm learnig lots of French hockey teminology!

Another record I copped recently is called "Comment Parler au Gibier" ("How to Speak to Game Animals"). Know I know what to say to a moose if I meet one.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I have been meaning to do this some weekend:

ever since I found it years ago. I would get rid of it, but who would buy it?

• I have been meaning to do this some weekend:

I would buy it for 50 cents to a dollar.

Which brings up an album on How To CB[/b], as in CB radio. In Hawai'i I always wanted a CB radio, I guess because it looked good in all the TV shows I watched. There were truckers, but they would go around the island, so I don't know what kind of conversation I would pick up:

Kalani: Hey Charlie?

Charlie: Hah?

Kalani: Charlie?

Kalani: CHARLIE!!!

Charlie: YEAH, I HEA. Wassup, bra?

Kalani: Ah, no mo nothin' for do, me just on the H-2 looking at panana leafs, like smoke but no mo money until next week, ah?

Kalani: Yeah.

Charlie: Oh.

Kalani: O' at least beeg kine money. Ey, you like go grind.

Charlie: I don't know, bra, I still gotta by diapas fo' my ol' lady.

Kalani: O' lady good for nothin'.

Charlie: Bra, you like her, I go deliva her to you right now.

Kalani: Where you at?

Charlie: I comin' out of Waianae, going into Ma'ile.

Kalani: Bra, go stay I goin' come stay go right dea.

Kalani: Yeah.

Charlie: Yeah?

Kalani: Yeah, go up to Makaha Drive-In, I pass you some smokes for latas, we go eat somethin' befo' we got to da kine again.

Charlie: Oh man, sound good. But I eatin' already.

Kalani: Bugga, what stop you from not going fo' some mo' kau kau?

Charlie: I tryin' for not be so momona.

Kalani: Bu lai.

Charlie: No, no bu lai. Ey, I stay right now down the street from where Chad ohana live.

Kalani: Who?

Charlie: Akebono.

Kalani: Now that bugga can eat.

Charlie: Ah. Eh, I goin' down by the Makaha Drive In, check see if my sista still workin' at da 7-Eleven cross the street.

Kalani: Shoots, I spock you den.

Charlie: 'K, den.[/b]

When I moved here, I found out I was in "trucker heaven", although I never got myself a CB radio, although I did learn a Volkswagen was called a "pregnant rollerskate".

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Yes. I have an exercise record by the infamous Debbie Drake, and the liner notes say a woman should always dress accordingly and put on proper makeup:

Checklist for keeping your husband happy:
    1. Firm and graceful body.
    2. Be at home when he arrives. (If you must work, try to arrange it so you're home first.)
    3. Clothes, sexy - for your evenings home.
    4. Be interested in him and the things he does.
    5. A good conversationalist.
    6. A bright smile over morning coffee.
    7. Nice voice (keep it soft and musical; also a pretty laugh.)
    8. Excess fat (taboo).
    9. Well-set hair (brushed and clean).
    10. Mentally alert (try reading).
    11. Pin-curls (if they are a must, pin up after the lights are out and wear a bed cap.)
    12. Perfume - just for him, when he's home.
    13. A regular manucure.
    14. A weekly pedicure.

my wife needs to read this shit.

• how to do a laryngoscopy.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Which brings up an album on How To CB[/b], as in CB radio. In Hawai'i I always wanted a CB radio, I guess because it looked good in all the TV shows I watched. There were truckers, but they would go around the island, so I don't know what kind of conversation I would pick up:

ha! must be a hawaiian thing, i remember my cousin there told me him and his friends all had cb radio's on their trucks.

• ha! must be a hawaiian thing, i remember my cousin there told me him and his friends all had cb radio's on their trucks.

Yep. My uncle used to work at PM&F, the warehouse that used to stock goods from the mainland, so every month he used to come over to our house (with his car) and bring boxes of candy, macaroni & cheese, etc. Fairly common. I don't think PM&F is there anymore (it was out at Sand Island). I guess it was the idea of being able to talk to someone, or hear a conversation and you had no idea who it was. It was not unlike finding someone with a short wave radio, and wondering where it was coming from. Perhaps as kids we were all naive, yet we found all of that fascinating.

That's a great cover. Looks like the doctor just came from kung fu practice. Could be Shock G.'s dad for all we know.

That's a great cover. Looks like the doctor just came from kung fu practice. Could be Shock G.'s dad for all we know.

real strange cover. first time i saw it, i thought, this one _has_ to be a joke. could be some michael winslow (that human beatbox guy from police academy) single or something...

• real strange cover. first time i saw it, i thought, this one _has_ to be a joke. could be some michael winslow (that human beatbox guy from police academy) single or something...

There we go.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I have been meaning to do this some weekend:

I'll send you mine and then you'll have doubles. It's a blue cover, but I think it probably sounds close enough.

I already have doubles of "Weight loss through self-hypnosis"

I also have some language records but never tried them. They sometimes come with those circular paper verb finders, which I've hung onto for future use. Spanish and Italian so far.

• I already have doubles of "Weight loss through self-hypnosis"

did you try it?

• I've got a few meditation/relaxation records with guided meditation. They're kinda fun to smoke and space out to. I have trouble quieting my mind though... and I usually drift off on my own thoughts.

Have quite a few children's rhyme and game/lesson records, as well as a small collection of story book records. I figure I'll save them for my kids. They're sample fodder in the meantime.

Oh and I've got a "how to improvise in jazz music" record, with instructions and stuff basically about how to solo, and the record has chord changes that you play over. I've been meaning to play guitar over that for sometime... but I just never get around to it. Plus I'm quite rusty.

I guess I have a bit of a fascination with spoken word records. I'll pretty much buy any one I come across in a dollar bin, no matter how stupid or simply boring the concept may be. I've always been interested in linguistics and speech, or just communication in general, so I think it stems from that.

Should take some pics and post up some interesting ones...

• I learned about what makes a good slapshot from the Guy LaFleur disco record.
    I recently scored the French version, so now I'm learnig lots of French hockey teminology!

what the fuck. guy laFleur disco record? I must hear this. and if anyone knows what a good shot is, it'd be Guy. What is it exactly? him talkin about hockey over disco tracks?